Overclock.net banner

Just got a Ducky 9008 (mixed Cherry MX switches)

3K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  ripster 
#1 ·
Got my first "modern" mechanical keyboard, the Ducky 9008 with mixed Cherry MX switches and PBT keycaps.

The information in the mechanical keyboard guide here is amazing. But it also made me hesitate for weeks on which keyboard to go for.

I had some doubt regarding the sometimes mentioned built quality and quality control of Ducky keyboards, and it being not the latest v2 model with the latest improvements. Since I am new in this I guess it would be better for me to try cheaper model and move on from there when I know what I would prefer (it can be hard to imagine feel by reading). However upon receiving it the concern proved to be unfounded, at least for now. The keyboard look and feel like a fine piece of work.

In these few weeks I have read tonnes of materials to help me with my decision, I don't really keep track but I suppose a good part of them are from this forum. Thank you.
smile.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Ripster likes to complain about anything that's really popular in mech. keyboard enthusiast circles at a given moment. Duckies are popular? Complain about build quality. Razer BlackWidow being ripped on? Tell people to give it some slack. XArmor getting popular? Complain about build quality and website. IBM Model Fs getting popular? Tell people it's in their heads and push Filcos. ABS M1 being sold really cheap? Complain about switches and transposition errors.

He's just a contrarian, and though he's usually worth at least taking note of, don't take his word as gospel.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129;13644574
Ripster likes to complain about anything that's really popular in mech. keyboard enthusiast circles at a given moment. Duckies are popular? Complain about build quality. Razer BlackWidow being ripped on? Tell people to give it some slack. XArmor getting popular? Complain about build quality and website. IBM Model Fs getting popular? Tell people it's in their heads and push Filcos. ABS M1 being sold really cheap? Complain about switches and transposition errors.

He's just a contrarian, and though he's usually worth at least taking note of, don't take his word as gospel.
Au Contraire - not a contrarian.

It's just the truth hurts sometimes.
truth.jpg?w=300&h=204&h=204

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou;13652493
Just get a keyboard that you are comfortable on spending. Sometimes there are elitists that just like to complain and nitpick.
What is discomforting is I am comfortable with a lot of things as far is spending on hobbies is concerned.
biggrin.gif
However I prefer to heed the angel's whisper instead of the devil's as far as I can help it.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Cherry with red switches, now having tried the brown I am not sure if the red (Cherry) is worth the premium, and glad that I didn't go for blue (Razer) and black (Steelseries). I appreciate the nearly not there tactile of the brown for typing. For gaming, with all the tension and excitement I doubt I can tell between red and brown.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripster
View Post

As the #1 Keyboard Expert On The Planet I will say....

It's more complicated than the OCN Mechanical Keyboard Guide indicates.

Thanks for that. I was a PS/2 user until even after PS/2 keyboard/mouse are no longer in the (large part of) market, I even plugged USB mouse into PS/2 ports just to keep my USB ports free back in the days. I didn't know PS/2 is not supposed to be hotswappable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.