Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › How important is having a UPS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How important is having a UPS? - Page 6

post #51 of 75
Find me a link with empirical evidence (ie, numbers) and I'll consider your knot thing might not be a wife's tale from some 3rd world country.

It's entirely nonsense.

You can't "stop" a surge. you can divert it. Your knot theory claims to stop surges by burning out the wire. Lightning will strike wooden church steeples, and keep going until it hits the ground. Solution: a huge chunk of copper capable of carrying the surge current. No one puts a knot in their lightning rod, if they did, the lightning would either ignore it entirely, or more likely jump OVER it (lightning is very high frequency) and continue on toward the ground, where it WILL go, without fail.

You should really talk to someone who puts equipment on a radio tower. They're all about surge protection, and yet they all seem to be extremely focused on good grounds, good grounds, and not having their equipment be at the highest point.

Oh, did I mention having good grounds?
No electronic equipment survives a direct strike. Heck, even smaller pieces of wire don't survive direct strikes, to which I can personally and honestly testify.
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
Find me a link with empirical evidence (ie, numbers) and I'll consider your knot thing might not be a wife's tale from some 3rd world country.

It's entirely nonsense.

You can't "stop" a surge. you can divert it. Your knot theory claims to stop surges by burning out the wire. Lightning will strike wooden church steeples, and keep going until it hits the ground. Solution: a huge chunk of copper capable of carrying the surge current. No one puts a knot in their lightning rod, if they did, the lightning would either ignore it entirely, or more likely jump OVER it (lightning is very high frequency) and continue on toward the ground, where it WILL go, without fail.

You should really talk to someone who puts equipment on a radio tower. They're all about surge protection, and yet they all seem to be extremely focused on good grounds, good grounds, and not having their equipment be at the highest point.

Oh, did I mention having good grounds?
No electronic equipment survives a direct strike. Heck, even smaller pieces of wire don't survive direct strikes, to which I can personally and honestly testify.
who said anything about stopping it? Lol you can't stop it but you can try and take the sting out of it as much as possible. It cost you nothing. It doesn't have a side effect or let your device perform worse than doing it but it helps a bit. Now if a lightning strike ripped thru 3 surge protectors that 3 knots might be the thing that saves your equipment. Dunno why you say its nonsense.

Now you were so clever to mention frequencies earlier yet you still can't catch a simple concept. Let me explain it again.
If you break a spike down into the equivalent series of sine waves which is call Fourier transform btw, you'll get lots of very high frequency ones. The higher their frequency, the more impedance they'll encounter due to the knot's small inductance. So the knot should tend to make the wave front less steep and reduce the maximum height of the spike.

And again its for extra protection.

A RF tOWER or a huge antenna is not your home. Your home doesn't get serviced and supervised by 24/7 engineers on standby. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW ITS GROUNDED UNLESS YOU BUILD AND OVER SEE THE ELECTRICAL LAYOUT YOURSELF.

So your adding a device with finger crossed that you HOPE the guy who did the electrical did a decent job. You HOPE that one or two pipes wasn't replace by plummer with plastic ones which a ground relied on.
Edited by Spooony - 5/27/11 at 9:37pm
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony View Post
A RF tOWER or a huge antenna is not your home. Your home doesn't get serviced and supervised by 24/7 engineers on standby. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW ITS GROUNDED UNLESS YOU BUILD AND OVER SEE THE ELECTRICAL LAYOUT YOURSELF.
But I do know how it's grounded. There's an 8' copper plated steel rod in the ground outside, with 0AWG copper wire attached to it that passes through the cement block wall in galvanized conduit, and is then connected to the bus bar in the main panel by a screw terminal. Any other house should have a similar ground. That's that the NEC is for.

And we do have multiple large antennae on our house. As the mast is the tallest object around, it has 000AWG wire bolted to it, running down the side, and into it's own 8' ground rod.

Please, put up, or shut up. Post a link to someone else's DATA on your 3 knot nonsense, or let wive's tales be wive's tails (do wives have tails?).
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
But I do know how it's grounded. There's an 8' copper plated steel rod in the ground outside, with 0AWG copper wire attached to it that passes through the cement block wall in galvanized conduit, and is then connected to the bus bar in the main panel by a screw terminal. Any other house should have a similar ground. That's that the NEC is for.

And we do have multiple large antennae on our house. As the mast is the tallest object around, it has 000AWG wire bolted to it, running down the side, and into it's own 8' ground rod.

Please, put up, or shut up. Post a link to someone else's DATA on your 3 knot nonsense, or let wive's tales be wive's tails (do wives have tails?).
lol
First of all 1 lightning strike is not 1 strike its 4 to 5 strikes (learned that in a 3rd world school)
If the 1st surge melts the knot. It will keep the others from doing further damage.

Suppression of transient surges and overvoltages is done by the use of MOVs installed in Shunt with the AC powerlines. It reduces the impedance to the surge. The impedance between the powerline and the ground will drag it to the ground. SURGE PROTECTORS CREATE A LOW IMPEDANCE TO THE PROTECTED DEVICE. A antenna is a different story cause by its own it can be a ground. But what does help grounding it when a powerline gets hit? The trick is to reduce the impedance TO THE device. If your thinking about creating a path quickly to THE ground you need something to be quick enough to clamp the circuit within 1 billion of a second. The knots help decrease the impedance. Plus computers and such are far away from the entry point normally so it assist bringing the impedance down.
And again its for extra surge protection. Its a free way to add more protection. Its not a replacement for a protector!!!!!

Read this
http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/lightning.htm

Op for brown outs, power outs and dips -> UPS
TO protect a UPS choose a surge protector
For upset other damage by surges, choose a surge protector
For I/O port damage, choose a data line protector

For extra protection you can try the........
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
I would never hook my computer up to anything that isn't a UPS.

Never.
Ditto. I need one especially for my file server, can't have that going down, can we?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon e5520 DX58SO Radeon 7850 3x2gb OCZ Gold 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1tb Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm CoolerMaster N520 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Westinghouse 22" 1680x1050 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Earthwatts EA-500 500w Thermaltake WingRS Steelseries Sensei RAW HT Omega Striker 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon e5520 DX58SO Radeon 7850 3x2gb OCZ Gold 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1tb Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm CoolerMaster N520 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Westinghouse 22" 1680x1050 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Earthwatts EA-500 500w Thermaltake WingRS Steelseries Sensei RAW HT Omega Striker 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony View Post
Suppression of transient surges and overvoltages is done by the use of MOVs installed in Shunt with the AC powerlines. It reduces the impedance to the surge. The impedance between the powerline and the ground will drag it to the ground. SURGE PROTECTORS CREATE A LOW IMPEDANCE TO THE PROTECTED DEVICE.
Too many pronouns with not enough antecedents. I really can't tell what you're trying to say there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony View Post
For extra protection you can try praying.
That link is not good support of your thesis. One sentence ending in a "!" is a sure sign of a weak argument on their part (on that matter, I fixed your last sentence for you, I'm pretty sure statistics will show the hand of god is as effective, if not more so (on Thursdays at least) than the anecdotal knots).

Surge protectors do not create a low impedance path to a protected device. they make themselves a low impedance device so that the protected device is a relatively higher impedance device, and electricity takes the path(s) of least resistance. Therefore the lower the impedance of the surge protector, the better off your power supply (or blender, if you have a pricey blender. hey, maybe you do, how should I know?).
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 75
Power here is pretty stable.

I never do my school work on my desktop rig when it's storming..Actually I never do homework

When ever I really gotta do something, it's always saved directly to my USB key since I always keep it with me, no matter what so I always bring my work with me.

If I lose data, I just start over again
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k [4.7 GHz] Asus P8P67 Pro B3 [2001 BIOS] MSI 7970 Lighting [Stock] G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB [1600 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 2TB Raid 0 Cavier Black Windows 7 [Ultimate x64] [Dell U2412HM] + [HP 2311x] RosewillRK-9000 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Strider [1500w] Corsair 300R Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k [4.7 GHz] Asus P8P67 Pro B3 [2001 BIOS] MSI 7970 Lighting [Stock] G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB [1600 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 2TB Raid 0 Cavier Black Windows 7 [Ultimate x64] [Dell U2412HM] + [HP 2311x] RosewillRK-9000 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Strider [1500w] Corsair 300R Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blostorm View Post
Power here is pretty stable.

I never do my school work on my desktop rig when it's storming..Actually I never do homework

When ever I really gotta do something, it's always saved directly to my USB key since I always keep it with me, no matter what so I always bring my work with me.

If I lose data, I just start over again
I recommend typing stuff in Google Docs, then copying it over to whatever you need it in once you're finished. It saves very frequently as you're typing, and you can access it from anywhere.
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 75

There was a huge lightning storm here earlier and my rig got hit pretty bad.

It fried the Ethernet and one of the USB ports. My cable modem even made a terrifying crackling noise right when the lighting hit

Anyhow, I went out and bought a Motorola Surfboard to replace my old cable modem and I'm hooked up via a USB 2.0 hub, getting 1/3 of the speeds I was getting before.

I'm thinking about getting this surge protector though, is it any good?

post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
There was a huge lightning storm here earlier and my rig got hit pretty bad.

It fried the Ethernet and one of the USB ports. My cable modem even made a terrifying crackling noise right when the lighting hit

Anyhow, I went out and bought a Motorola Surfboard to replace my old cable modem and I'm hooked up via a USB 2.0 hub, getting 1/3 of the speeds I was getting before.

I'm thinking about getting this surge protector though, is it any good?

Amazon.com: APC 11-Outlet 3400J Surge Protector: Electronics
I don't have experience with that surge protector, but it's hard to go wrong with APC.

I heard that these things don't give 100% protection from lightning strikes though. They're more meant for line fluctuations or other lesser problems. I'd imagine it will give you some level of protection from them though, as long as it didn't hit your lines very close.
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › How important is having a UPS?