New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Solved.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
So I was just messing with my sound card today (see sig rig) trying to figure out how to get Line-In to work and I realized in Windows the speakers were only set to 60%. So I raised the volume to 100%, called a friend on Skype and noticed this really weird distortion. When people would talk the quality would be absolutely horrible. After I got off of Skype I browsed Reddit for a bit and watched a few videos, and there was really bad distortion as well.

I re-seated the card, re-seated the speaker cables and everything. I couldn't figure out why there was this annoying distortion all of a sudden. I retraced my steps and remembered I bumped the speaker volume percentage. So, I bumped it back down to what it was originally set at (60%) and everything is crystal clear again.

So my question... Why does a high end sound card start to distort after 60% speaker volume?

I own the Logitech z-5500 speaker system, if you need to know for any reason.
Edited by pjBSOD - 5/27/11 at 1:31am
post #2 of 10
What kind of speakers?

It also might be Creative's crappy drivers. Reset all your setting and set it as Audio Creation mode.
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
So I was just messing with my sound card today (see sig rig) trying to figure out how to get Line-In to work and I realized in Windows the speakers were only set to 60%. So I raised the volume to 100%, called a friend on Skype and noticed this really weird distortion. When people would talk the quality would be absolutely horrible. After I got off of Skype I browsed Reddit for a bit and watched a few videos, and there was really bad distortion as well.

I re-seated the card, re-seated the speaker cables and everything. I couldn't figure out why there was this annoying distortion all of a sudden. I retraced my steps and remembered I bumped the speaker volume percentage. So, I bumped it back down to what it was originally set at (60%) and everything is crystal clear again.

So my question... Why does a high end sound card start to distort after 60% speaker volume?
What happens when you put windows volume at 100% but turn your speakers down to compensate?
TudjBox.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8Z68V Gen3 PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex II Samsung F3 1TB Sony DVD-RW Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 iiyama ProLite 24" 16:9 Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Corsair HX620 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P182 G5 SteelSeries Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 
  hide details  
Reply
TudjBox.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8Z68V Gen3 PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex II Samsung F3 1TB Sony DVD-RW Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 iiyama ProLite 24" 16:9 Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Corsair HX620 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P182 G5 SteelSeries Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSC549 View Post
What kind of speakers?
Logitech z-5500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUDJ View Post
What happens when you put windows volume at 100% but turn your speakers down to compensate?
Funny you mention that, I tried that. There was still distortion to be heard.
post #5 of 10
Sounds like a driver/sound card issue. I edited my first post.
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSC549 View Post
Sounds like a driver/sound card issue. I edited my first post.
Okay, I'll do that right after I'm finished installing this gigantic 300MB software update from Creative that I've been downloading for about 20 minutes now.

And I've been using "Entertainment Mode" this whole time, is "Audio Creation Mode" any better?
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
And I've been using "Entertainment Mode" this whole time, is "Audio Creation Mode" any better?
Yes, read this.

Is your EQ flat? Boosting a frequency too much when the volume is high will cause distortion.
TudjBox.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8Z68V Gen3 PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex II Samsung F3 1TB Sony DVD-RW Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 iiyama ProLite 24" 16:9 Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Corsair HX620 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P182 G5 SteelSeries Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 
  hide details  
Reply
TudjBox.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8Z68V Gen3 PRO Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex II Samsung F3 1TB Sony DVD-RW Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 iiyama ProLite 24" 16:9 Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Corsair HX620 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P182 G5 SteelSeries Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tUDJ View Post
Yes, read this.

Is your EQ flat? Boosting a frequency too much when the volume is high will cause distortion.
Go to that link and follow the guide, and most EQ sucks because if you boost a frequency too much, you will get a distorted sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
Okay, I'll do that right after I'm finished installing this gigantic 300MB software update from Creative that I've been downloading for about 20 minutes now.

And I've been using "Entertainment Mode" this whole time, is "Audio Creation Mode" any better?
Audio Creation Mode produce the sound exactly the way the music/sound was made to be heard. Follow that link that tUDJ posted.
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tUDJ View Post
Yes, read this.

Is your EQ flat? Boosting a frequency too much when the volume is high will cause distortion.
Read that and did everything until the guide started speaking of tweaks for specific music players. Just from setting it to "Audio Creation" mode and doing everything stated in the guide, I was able to raise the speaker volume to 100% and there's no longer any static.

Can't thank the both of you enough

Only complaint I have so far about this sound card is the absurd drivers. They're absolutely garbage. Everything takes centuries to load with their software.
Edited by pjBSOD - 5/27/11 at 1:58am
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Never mind, now I have no sound and things are very messed up. If I go to play a song in WMP, it'll say it's playing, but it won't be and the time will not move. For example, I'll drag the bar to 45 seconds, hit play, the time won't move, but there's an option for me to pause the song even though the time isn't moving and nothing is playing.

Restarted and now everything is okay. Wow, Creative's software is really that bad, huh?

Anyways, thanks for your help guys. Apparently Audio Creation Mode with bit-matched recording enabled is better than Entertainment Mode with a bunch of EQ settings enabled.
Edited by pjBSOD - 5/27/11 at 2:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio