Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Would this be a worthy upgrade?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would this be a worthy upgrade?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm going to upgrade my PC and I want to make it more silent, I was thinking about:
I have a budget of about €700 to upgrade.

Case: Fractal Design Defire R3 (Black, If you must know) €90
CPU: i5 2500k or maybe the i7 2600k, I'm not sure If I'm willing to pay €70 extra for HT €180 or €250
Motherboard: Not sure yet, I'm looking for something cheap, Was thinking ASRock fatality Performance €130
PSU: SeaSonic X-560 €120

I'm defenitaly keeping my 8GB Ram, my 6950 and most likely my 2 F3's

I might upgrade to a bigger SSD and a new CPU kooler.


I will most likely sell all the rest that I don't need, That would give me some extra money.
post #2 of 14
I'd personally like a bigger PSU in there. To be honest, you'd be better off with the corsair TX650v2

Comps
post #3 of 14
As far as your main components:

There anything your rig can't handle at the moment?
I mean, yes a 1155 setup is going to be an improvement, but it's not going to be earth shatteringly different (and that X6 should still hold you over for some time).

That PSU would be enough, but I don't see why your TX750 can't stick around if it's still working (you'll have plenty of cable management options with the R3)
Also if you are going to upgrade anyway, but want to keep your RAM make sure to check the voltage (1.5v or less is typically recommended).
Edited by candy_van - 5/27/11 at 12:11pm
Stugots III
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 780 SC 2x8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250GB 850-EVO | 1TB EZEX | 2TB F4 It BURNS! H100i | NB Pros Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE258Q Filco Majestouch I Seasonic X-560w Fractal Arc Mini R2 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Vengeance MM200 HT Omega eClaro SHURE SRH-840 | Audioengine A2+S8 
  hide details  
Reply
Stugots III
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus V Gene EVGA GTX 780 SC 2x8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250GB 850-EVO | 1TB EZEX | 2TB F4 It BURNS! H100i | NB Pros Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE258Q Filco Majestouch I Seasonic X-560w Fractal Arc Mini R2 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Vengeance MM200 HT Omega eClaro SHURE SRH-840 | Audioengine A2+S8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
I'd personally like a bigger PSU in there. To be honest, you'd be better off with the corsair TX650v2

Comps
That PSU can handle it just fine, I'm not going for crossfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post
As far as your main components:

There anything your rig can't handle at the moment?
I mean, yes a 1155 setup is going to be an improvement, but it's not going to be earth shatteringly different (and that X6 should still hold you over for some time).

That PSU would be enough, but I don't see why your TX750 can't stick around if it's still working (you'll have plenty of cable management options with the R3)
Also if you are going to upgrade anyway, but want to keep your RAM make sure to check the voltage (1.5v or less is typically recommended).
Euhm, I get 100% CPu Usage alot of the time, I was hoping upgrading to SB @ 4.5ish ghz would be an improvement.

The current PSU is quite loud, one of the loudest in my current system and I heard X series was quieter, also the fact that it's not modular..

As far as I know my current set is 1.5v
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog View Post
That PSU can handle it just fine, I'm not going for crossfire.



Euhm, I get 100% CPu Usage alot of the time, I was hoping upgrading to SB @ 4.5ish ghz would be an improvement.

The current PSU is quite loud, one of the loudest in my current system and I heard X series was quieter, also the fact that it's not modular..

As far as I know my current set is 1.5v
Sorry, what the hell are you doing to max out your processor?

C
post #6 of 14
Do you do alot of video editing/encoding/rendering? If not, then I don't think you'll need the 2600k.
Main
(13 items)
 
  
Reply
Main
(13 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Sorry, what the hell are you doing to max out your processor?

C
This
Mr. Fluffykins
(13 items)
 
Sager NP8130
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720BE (4th core unlocked) @ 3.4 GHZ Asus M4A79XTD Evo 2 x Powercolor 5850 ADATA 4 gb @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 gb, 2 x 750 gb Seagates 7200rpm LG DVD read/write Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus 242H 23.6" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Corsair TX750 NZXT Phantom Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck Heavy 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2670QM Nvidia 560M 8 GB 1333MHZ 500 GB 7200RPM 
OS
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Fluffykins
(13 items)
 
Sager NP8130
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720BE (4th core unlocked) @ 3.4 GHZ Asus M4A79XTD Evo 2 x Powercolor 5850 ADATA 4 gb @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 gb, 2 x 750 gb Seagates 7200rpm LG DVD read/write Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus 242H 23.6" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Corsair TX750 NZXT Phantom Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Qck Heavy 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2670QM Nvidia 560M 8 GB 1333MHZ 500 GB 7200RPM 
OS
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Sorry, what the hell are you doing to max out your processor?

C
I run various programs at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reslivo View Post
Do you do alot of video editing/encoding/rendering? If not, then I don't think you'll need the 2600k.
I don't do alot of video editing/rendering/etc Though I was thinking about picking up my YT channel again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChillburger View Post
This
Thanks for the spam.
post #9 of 14
Dude, I run 4 virtual machines and don't max out my processor.

What applications are you talking about?

Comps
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Dude, I run 4 virtual machines and don't max out my processor.

What applications are you talking about?

Comps
Mostly Java
Some of them use upto 30% of my cpu

+ the usual like Internet, Photoshop, etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Would this be a worthy upgrade?