Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Overclocking - Help me do it right!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking - Help me do it right!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
hi guys ive been sifting through this forum for a while now, finally joined to ask a couple questions...

i want to learn how to do mild but correct overclocks with the standard cooler, before i invest in more hardware, i thought if i can push the stock one to its limits i would be able to be better with an aftermarket one straight out of the box...

i decided to overclock my i5-2500k today. i started from 3.7ghz as this is where the turbo goes. 3.8 ghz @1.2 volts (stock) and i was seeing temps of 85-90 degrees, one got to 94 ish and i immediately stopped prime95. i figured volts give it more ability to run faster, but heat it up. i decided to bump the volts down and see if i could get it to run cooler. at 3.7 ghz i managed to get them down to 1.13 volts before i got a BSOD. so i bumped volts up slightly and clock slightly. im now running 4ghz@1.15volts, with the stock cooler, 39x102 BCLK. i have run prime95 for one hour without crashing, max temp 82 degrees.

am i going about this the right way? i had never read about undervolting and overclocking when i was doing some netsearch on it, only overvolting... am i going to destroy my cpu or am i going the correct way about this? i got about 10-15 fps increase in witcher 2 after this.

thanks in advance

ps i have a coolermaster haf with 2x 200mm fans, 4x 140mm fans, and im using a asus p8p67 pro with kingston hyperx ram 1600mhz if that makes any difference.
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Spend 25-30 bucks on an after market cooler and you wont have to worry about this kind of thing. And if those temps are in celcius, I'd back off. 82c is right on the edge perhaps a little over, if you were running IBT I'm guessing you hit around 90c.
post #3 of 11
Figured this would be as good a spot as any to post this without adding to the 100 threads on OCing.

This isn't my first attempt to OC my rig. When I first put it together in 2007 I joined this Overclock.net and tried but to no avail. Here I am 4 years down the road and am on the verge of upgrading my processor to a quad core. However, I'm a second year medical student and lets just say money is hard to come by. So I decided to re-try at OC my build and I spent a few $ of loan money on some cooling upgrades, etc. After spending ~6 hours of my free Saturday sifting through this site and many others and trying several attempts in bios, I'm frustrated.

I'm not one to give up or ask for help because I know the typical responses I can expect, but I don't have the time or energy to trial and error my way through this. My first attempt was the nearest to working, so here we go. Any help would greatly be appreciated and btw my goal is a stable 3GHz. Not asking too much!

First set CPU ratio to 11X, Host clock control enabled, CPU host freq: 270, PCI E set to 100, CIA2 disabled, Performance enhance: standard, System memory: 2.5 <- this was the closest I could get my memory to the stock 800 -> default memory = 800, mine=775, system voltage set to auto. I have no idea what I'm doing voltage wise. My default voltage on this chip is 1.23V. I left it to auto and ran Orthos. It was stable for a whopping 5 mins before I stopped Orthos cause my temp was approaching 75C.

I further tried several times to mess around with the voltages and just kept making things worse. Any help with a safe voltage with my set-up would be greatly appreciated.
Also I do not know if I have optimized my memory correctly. I set it as close to the default of 800 as I could in bios and also tweaked the DDR2 voltage to +.1. The stock for my memory is 1.8-2.0v.

Can I get away with just setting my CPU voltage control to auto and tweaking my FSB and Multiplier until I get a stable load out with reasonable temps?

Thanks in advance for your help and I again apologize for giving in and posting another thread topic on OCing an E4500 but I'm at my wits end and just don't know what else to do.

CPU-Z Validation Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1841592
Edited by toparis - 5/28/11 at 5:40pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 EVGA 01G-P3-1450-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB GSKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WDCB WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200RPM Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Microsoft Windows XP Home Dual Mount Acer H233 23" 5ms 
PowerCase
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 (overhualed) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 EVGA 01G-P3-1450-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB GSKILL 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WDCB WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200RPM Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Microsoft Windows XP Home Dual Mount Acer H233 23" 5ms 
PowerCase
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 (overhualed) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok, i have now tested it in intel burn test. i did 5 passes, then i did 10 passes. my max temperature was 82 degrees on two of the cores.

I do not want to invest in an aftermarket cooler yet, i want to learn how to overclock properly with the stock cooler first. i dont actually NEED a 4.5-5ghz cpu, my cpu is fast enough for what i do (gaming) so this is more for educational purposes i guess, and im currently having to save towards something more important at the moment


if i should try back off my temperatures what should i be aiming for? i read that 80 is the norm so i though 82 might not be so bad but im not going to question those who obviously know more than me (i built this as my first computer 3-4 months ago)
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
jacob, your method is exactly right. You did your homework, and then you figured out your CPU's limits by trial and error.

Anyway 80 is a bit toasty, I don't like to go above 75 but that depends on how willing you are to risk replacing your CPU. Keep in mind that your CPU's thermometers aren't terribly accurate, I'd only trust them to within 5 degrees or so.

You don't have to go buy a $75 Noctua cooler, you can spend $35 and get 85% of the cooling performance, which is a DRASTIC improvement over the stock cooler.
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toparis View Post
Figured this would be as good a spot as any to post this without adding to the 100 threads on OCing.

This isn't my first attempt to OC my rig. When I first put it together in 2007 I joined this Overclock.net and tried but to no avail. Here I am 4 years down the road and am on the verge of upgrading my processor to a quad core. However, I'm a second year medical student and lets just say money is hard to come by. So I decided to re-try at OC my build and I spent a few $ of loan money on some cooling upgrades, etc. After spending ~6 hours of my free Saturday sifting through this site and many others and trying several attempts in bios, I'm frustrated.

I'm not one to give up or ask for help because I know the typical responses I can expect, but I don't have the time or energy to trial and error my way through this. My first attempt was the nearest to working, so here we go. Any help would greatly be appreciated and btw my goal is a stable 3GHz. Not asking too much!

First set CPU ratio to 11X, Host clock control enabled, CPU host freq: 270, PCI E set to 100, CIA2 disabled, Performance enhance: standard, System memory: 2.5 <- this was the closest I could get my memory to the stock 800 -> default memory = 800, mine=775, system voltage set to auto. I have no idea what I'm doing voltage wise. My default voltage on this chip is 1.23V. I left it to auto and ran Orthos. It was stable for a whopping 5 mins before I stopped Orthos cause my temp was approaching 75C.

I further tried several times to mess around with the voltages and just kept making things worse. Any help with a safe voltage with my set-up would be greatly appreciated.
Also I do not know if I have optimized my memory correctly. I set it as close to the default of 800 as I could in bios and also tweaked the DDR2 voltage to +.1. The stock for my memory is 1.8-2.0v.

Can I get away with just setting my CPU voltage control to auto and tweaking my FSB and Multiplier until I get a stable load out with reasonable temps?

Thanks in advance for your help and I again apologize for giving in and posting another thread topic on OCing an E4500 but I'm at my wits end and just don't know what else to do.

CPU-Z Validation Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1841592
If you'll take note of the site's name, you can assume that we'll tolerate more than a few threads about overclocking

Anyway I was an AMD guy up until I got this new processor, which works a bit differently from yours so I can't help you all that much with the specifics. In general auto isn't the best setting because you're never quite sure what the mobo will do, but usually it'll keep things at the default specs. The basic OC procedure is to increase your cpu speed (either with the multiplier or FSB) and then increase your voltage until it is stable. As you add voltage, your temps will go up, which is why you need to get a decent heatsink before doing much overclocking.

To choose a voltage, start with the default and increase it by .05 volts at a time (or so) until it's stable. It has to be trial and error, because every processor is different; 2 chips with the same model number will need different voltages to maintain the same speed. Before long you start to get a feel for how much voltage you'll need for a given clock speed increase.
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
sweet

can someone please explain to me how RAM affects your CPU overclock? i know i have read somewhere that ram clocks can affect the CPU clock stability and vice versa. but whenever i look it up i end up on a page with an overwhelming amount of information and words i cannot understand

so im wondering if i could get a more stable cpu clock by adjusting ram voltages etc?
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobrjett View Post
sweet

can someone please explain to me how RAM affects your CPU overclock? i know i have read somewhere that ram clocks can affect the CPU clock stability and vice versa. but whenever i look it up i end up on a page with an overwhelming amount of information and words i cannot understand

so im wondering if i could get a more stable cpu clock by adjusting ram voltages etc?
Your CPU and ram (and some other things) are synchronized by what's either called a front side bus (FSB), reference clock, or base clock (BCLK, which your particular model uses) depending on your CPU and manufacturer. The CPU has a multiplier, which determines its clock speed (so with a 100MHz FSB and a multiplier of 40, you'd have 4.0 GHz). For most processors, you can't increase the multiplier beyond a certain point, so the only way to overclock is to crank up the FSB, which the ram is also tied to, which is why RAM speed affects your overclock.

However, with the new sandy bridge processors (which yours is) you have an unlocked multiplier and the base clock has a much narrower range of adjustment (You can't usually go above 110mhz, with 100 being default.) The multiplier only impacts your cpu, so overclocking this way doesn't increase your ram speed.

Long story short, in your specific case your RAM has very little impact on your CPU overclock.
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
ok thats just what i wanted to know, thanks man

edit: so this means if i overclock my ram my cpu clock wont be affected right?
Edited by jacobrjett - 5/28/11 at 7:25pm
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
BF3 RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500k Asus P8p67 Pro Asus GTX 570 sli Kingston HyperX 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 Asus DVD-RW Win 7 x64 Asus vg236h 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Seasonic M12D 750w CM Haf 922 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobrjett View Post
ok thats just what i wanted to know, thanks man

edit: so this means if i overclock my ram my cpu clock wont be affected right?
Yep, exactly.
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
Kathis
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 670 Kingston something 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 ~ 4 terabytes across 3 drives, not in RAID. 2 ... Water cooled, aquaero 5 LT controller/temp monitor Win7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 23.3", 1920x1080 Acer 19", 1440x900 CM Storm Quickfire 700W Cooler Master Silent Pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NXZT Switch 810 Logitech G9X Yup.  E-MU 1820m running into a Pyle 120wx2 amp, driv... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Overclocking - Help me do it right!