Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Unidentified Network issue on new PC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unidentified Network issue on new PC - Page 2

post #11 of 17
You can try to configure your own IP.

Do this, tell me if it works.

Start>Control Panel>(classic view)Network & Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings (upper left corner)>(right click on you connection and click "properties from the drop down menu).

Double click "Internet Protocol Version 4" in the menu that shows up.
Now use the following IP address configuration:

IP Address: 192.168.1.14
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (should come up automatically)
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

now for the next list.

"use the follwing DNS server addresses"

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.15.1
Alternate DNS server: 192.168.15.2

tell me if that works.

EDIT:

also make sure you configure your IP in your router. There should be an IP you can enter to get to the settings or a website that will take you too it.

I have a NETGEAR router, I go to routerlogin.net to access my info and config.
Big Bertha
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Octa-Core Processor GYGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 EVGA GTX 970 3.5GB DDR5 Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
240GB Samsung 850 EVO WD 7200RPM 500GB Blue  WD 5400RPM 3TB Green None 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i AIO Water Cooler Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Dell 24' 1080p Monitor Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White Mid Tower Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse Logitech Mousepad 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bertha
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Octa-Core Processor GYGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 EVGA GTX 970 3.5GB DDR5 Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
240GB Samsung 850 EVO WD 7200RPM 500GB Blue  WD 5400RPM 3TB Green None 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i AIO Water Cooler Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Dell 24' 1080p Monitor Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White Mid Tower Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse Logitech Mousepad 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqside View Post
You can try to configure your own IP.

Do this, tell me if it works.

Start>Control Panel>(classic view)Network & Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings (upper left corner)>(right click on you connection and click "properties from the drop down menu).

Double click "Internet Protocol Version 4" in the menu that shows up.
Now use the following IP address configuration:

IP Address: 192.168.1.14
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (should come up automatically)
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

now for the next list.

"use the follwing DNS server addresses"

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.15.1
Alternate DNS server: 192.168.15.2

tell me if that works.

EDIT:

also make sure you configure your IP in your router. There should be an IP you can enter to get to the settings or a website that will take you too it.

I have a NETGEAR router, I go to routerlogin.net to access my info and config.
how do you know what is his dns server?
You are correct he should manually assign his ip but the dns wont be the same.
post #13 of 17
I had a problem similar to this, but my problem was that I could not host a Diablo 2 game on my home server rig. i configured the IP for it and bam, it worked. so give it a shot.

my IP was 1.0.4.0 or something like that. (according to Diablo 2 when i tried to host a server)., after some tinkering with the IP v4 Properties, and my router. I got it to work.
I may be wrong, but worth a shot.

@SPOOONY

I don't knwo what his DNS server is, and I didn't know mine either. but it works with no hiccups, so I am just fine with my work around.
Big Bertha
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Octa-Core Processor GYGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 EVGA GTX 970 3.5GB DDR5 Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
240GB Samsung 850 EVO WD 7200RPM 500GB Blue  WD 5400RPM 3TB Green None 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i AIO Water Cooler Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Dell 24' 1080p Monitor Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White Mid Tower Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse Logitech Mousepad 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bertha
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Octa-Core Processor GYGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 EVGA GTX 970 3.5GB DDR5 Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
240GB Samsung 850 EVO WD 7200RPM 500GB Blue  WD 5400RPM 3TB Green None 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i AIO Water Cooler Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Dell 24' 1080p Monitor Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White Mid Tower Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse Logitech Mousepad 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Use 8.8.8.8 for DNS, instead.
It's a publicly available DNS server.

If OP follows the above and uses 192.168.15.1, they will not resolve any internet addresses as that address falls within a non-publicly-routable private range.
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
yes, beers may be correct. Likely is. I am no pro.
That being said, i could also not connect until i tried my work around. So idk. It may be a problem with his local network not allowing an internet connection. obviously he cannot even connect to his own network.

i am pretty new to networking but i figure out anything Windows throws at me

EDIT:

Also the .14 in the end of the IP address applies to the individual computers in your own network.

Example. MY server is .14, my brothers laptop is .15 and my other brothers is .80 (he chose it). I think it's just for identification in your own private network. am i right?

EDIT: make sure you identify each computer directly in your router settings.
Edited by Darqside - 5/28/11 at 11:40pm
Big Bertha
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Octa-Core Processor GYGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 EVGA GTX 970 3.5GB DDR5 Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
240GB Samsung 850 EVO WD 7200RPM 500GB Blue  WD 5400RPM 3TB Green None 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i AIO Water Cooler Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Dell 24' 1080p Monitor Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White Mid Tower Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse Logitech Mousepad 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bertha
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Octa-Core Processor GYGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 EVGA GTX 970 3.5GB DDR5 Kingston HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
240GB Samsung 850 EVO WD 7200RPM 500GB Blue  WD 5400RPM 3TB Green None 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i AIO Water Cooler Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Dell 24' 1080p Monitor Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White Mid Tower Logitech G402 Gaming Mouse Logitech Mousepad 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post
Use 8.8.8.8 for DNS, instead.
It's a publicly available DNS server.

If OP follows the above and uses 192.168.15.1, they will not resolve any internet addresses as that address falls within a non-publicly-routable private range.
This.

8.8.8.8 for primary
8.8.4.4 for secondary

These are public DNS addresses run by Google.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-2500k 4.8Ghz @ 1.38v Z68X-UD4-B3 PNY 480 8GB Dominator 1600's 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 510 + 300GB Velociraptor LG DVD RW Server 2012 HP 25" + HP 20" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend TX850W XClio Coolbox Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Dolica HD550's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-2500k 4.8Ghz @ 1.38v Z68X-UD4-B3 PNY 480 8GB Dominator 1600's 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 510 + 300GB Velociraptor LG DVD RW Server 2012 HP 25" + HP 20" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend TX850W XClio Coolbox Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Dolica HD550's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqside View Post
yes, beers may be correct. Likely is. I am no pro.
That being said, i could also not connect until i tried my work around. So idk. It may be a problem with his local network not allowing an internet connection. obviously he cannot even connect to his own network.

i am pretty new to networking but i figure out anything Windows throws at me

EDIT:

Also the .14 in the end of the IP address applies to the individual computers in your own network.

Example. MY server is .14, my brothers laptop is .15 and my other brothers is .80 (he chose it). I think it's just for identification in your own private network. am i right?

EDIT: make sure you identify each computer directly in your router settings.
your work around is spot on and he's not saying your wrong its just the dns addy you posted will give the op connection problems again. So your fix will solve one issue but another problem with the wrong dns will pop up. So if he do what you have posted with the dns servers posted up here^^ by the men in green it will most probably solve his issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Unidentified Network issue on new PC