Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 6950 OC real world gain?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6950 OC real world gain? - Page 4

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post
The fact is: unlocking the 6950 turns it into a 6970 at equal clocks. So I don't understand why anyone would try and recommend NOT unlocking the shaders in the 6950. There's no reason NOT to actually.
Eh, there is a very real inherent risk of bricking cards flashing and unlocking. I've been fortunate that both times unlocking cards, while my system crashed and I was unable to get feedback on whether the flash was successful or not, once it rebooted the flashes worked swimmingly, and I've been good to go since then.

Has anyone posted benches of 6950 vs. 6970 at equal clocks other than the frequently cited WORLDEXCLUSIVE 6950 numbers, for which I didn't see a direct comparison to 6970s, just 6950s with 6970 bioses vs unlocked and/or overclocked 6950 bioses on a 6950. Anyone have a 6970 and have posted benches (3dmark11, vantage, etc?)
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
Eh, there is a very real inherent risk of bricking cards flashing and unlocking. I've been fortunate that both times unlocking cards, while my system crashed and I was unable to get feedback on whether the flash was successful or not, once it rebooted the flashes worked swimmingly, and I've been good to go since then.

Has anyone posted benches of 6950 vs. 6970 at equal clocks other than the frequently cited WORLDEXCLUSIVE 6950 numbers, for which I didn't see a direct comparison to 6970s, just 6950s with 6970 bioses vs unlocked and/or overclocked 6950 bioses on a 6950. Anyone have a 6970 and have posted benches (3dmark11, vantage, etc?)
FYI: http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/909...-unlocked.html
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
Yes, and I just re-read the thread in its entirety, and not a single person compared it directly with a stock 6970, just a 6950 in a 6970's clothes, if you will.

I'm going to go back and read the original TPU article in a few minutes in-between having job applications reviewed before sending them out. Ugh unemployment....
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
Yes, and I just re-read the thread in its entirety, and not a single person compared it directly with a stock 6970, just a 6950 in a 6970's clothes, if you will.

I'm going to go back and read the original TPU article in a few minutes in-between having job applications reviewed before sending them out. Ugh unemployment....
Umm, if it was 6950/6970 benches you were looking for, i linked those on the previous page btw lol
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
Umm, if it was 6950/6970 benches you were looking for, i linked those on the previous page btw lol
You did, it was just small in the context of the conversations, so I missed it. I apologize.

Interestingly though, their 6970 benchmarks in 3dmark11 were similar in performance to my 6950 unlocked and overclocked to just 880/1300 @ stock voltage (5449 on their 6970, 4901 on their 6950, and I had 5559). Unfortunately I never even bothered to test stock performance with my XFX 6950, but on my sapphire with 6950 shaders but overclocked to CCC limits @ 840/1325 I still got 5369.

Ugh, there is so much variability between testing conditions I hate to even post these numbers since unlike more thorough testers on this site (MartinM in the watercooling forum comes to mind), I don't do 5 tests at this level, 5 tests with the first change, etc etc and then report it. I mostly just test once and move on

I'm starting to wonder how far I can push my 750w PSU with an overclocked 2600k and 2 CF 6950s overclocked. Time to get a Kill-A-Watt....
post #36 of 36
Your gonna start running into issues soon if you keep pushing core speeds.. these are some power hungry little GPU's once you start climbing above 900mhz core. I have to swap PSU's [from TX650 -> TPQ1200] just to run +1020mhz core speeds on mine..pushed to 1080mhz core so far for stable bench use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 6950 OC real world gain?