Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › if Valve will ever release "Steam OS", will you support it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

if Valve will ever release "Steam OS", will you support it? - Page 3

post #21 of 41
Thinking is not good for you :/
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Razer View Post
well at least we don't have to pay $99 for OEM copy of windows!
Why do people think $100 is a lot for an operating system? The OS is the base that all the software of your PC runs on, and extremely important to the use of the PC.

$100 is amazingly cheap when you compare to what other software sells for. It's too bad Linux is so hard to use, it would probably be amazingly popular if anyone makes one that is, given it's free. Don't try to tell me that it is easy to use, to do something amazingly simple like connect to a network share at boot, you have to edit a file that will make the entire OS not boot if you mess up the tiniest part of one line. With windows or OSX all you have to do is click 5 or 6 buttons in menus and you're done.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 41
forget an os
they need to make a full web-browsers
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
but in the end I'd probably just end up going back to Windows. It never fails.
Haha right. That's a knee slapper.
Gene-Z Dedi
(7 items)
 
Captain America
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 2600k @ 5.2 Ghz Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Gskill 2133 4GB Caviar Black 
CoolingOSPower
Corsair H100 Arch x64 OCZ 650 Watt 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2650 Intel Xeon E5-2650 ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS XFX 6870 
RAMOS
32 GB Samsung Arch Nix 
  hide details  
Reply
Gene-Z Dedi
(7 items)
 
Captain America
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7 2600k @ 5.2 Ghz Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Gskill 2133 4GB Caviar Black 
CoolingOSPower
Corsair H100 Arch x64 OCZ 650 Watt 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2650 Intel Xeon E5-2650 ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS XFX 6870 
RAMOS
32 GB Samsung Arch Nix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
All source games were ported to OpenGL so they could run on OSX IIRC.

If VALVe were to keep al their games using OpenGL, they wouldn't need to use WINE to run the games, they could be run natively in Linux.

See above.
Yea but there is a problem with your point.

The vast majority of games use DirectX as their base. Developers/Publishers aren't going to invest more money to develop for both DirectX and OpenGL when Windows and the Xbox platform both use DirectX and have a large market share compared to a Valve OS (Unless the Valve OS magically overnight sold like 300million units or something to compete with Windows)

So no, this would never work. DirectX is the industry standard API and will be for the foreseeable future and MS will not license it out to Valve, it just wouldn't be good business sense.

The closest thing we would see to this is a Windows Gaming edition which I think could actually happen one day. Although it would most likely be a stripped down version of regular windows and lack too many features to make it a serious option for most users.

I love how the OP says MS killed PC gaming. It has nothing to do with MS. There has been a huge shift in focus towards console gaming since that is where the money is. Most 10 year old kids game on a console, not PC. Most pimple face teenagers game on consoles, not PC. Most soccer moms play games on the Wii, not PC (When I say most, I mean most of the percentage that plays games. Not the total number of soccer moms as a whole )

Thankfully, this year looks like its going to be a good year for PC gamers and next year is looking good as well. I think part of the reason is because indie development and smaller development studios are starting to blossom thanks to the GFC shutting down major studios so employees have broken off and made thier own, smaller independent studios. And the PC is the prime candidate for those smaller studios because its cheaper to develop for (No royalties and fees paid to MS and Sony)
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 41
All you need is 1 good title to be released only on linux, and we'll get the masses. Imagine if wow only ran on Linux, then the revolution would unfold.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Asrock Z77 OC Formula EVGA 970 F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung DVD-RW EK Arch Linux 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 Home Premium Samsung S27A850D Steelseries Merch Stealth Antec High Current Pro 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Case Labs M8, Pedastel, Extended Top Razor Death Adder BE Razor M-Audio M3-8's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Asrock Z77 OC Formula EVGA 970 F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung DVD-RW EK Arch Linux 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 Home Premium Samsung S27A850D Steelseries Merch Stealth Antec High Current Pro 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Case Labs M8, Pedastel, Extended Top Razor Death Adder BE Razor M-Audio M3-8's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
Why do people think $100 is a lot for an operating system? The OS is the base that all the software of your PC runs on, and extremely important to the use of the PC.

$100 is amazingly cheap when you compare to what other software sells for. It's too bad Linux is so hard to use, it would probably be amazingly popular if anyone makes one that is, given it's free. Don't try to tell me that it is easy to use, to do something amazingly simple like connect to a network share at boot, you have to edit a file that will make the entire OS not boot if you mess up the tiniest part of one line. With windows or OSX all you have to do is click 5 or 6 buttons in menus and you're done.
It took you time to learn to use Windows. Linux isn't Windows.

Once you understand how Linux works, it becomes just as easy to add extra hard drives and remote shares at different mountpoints on boot as it does to tweak the registry on Windows, and tewaking the Windows registry has alot more risk involved IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post
Yea but there is a problem with your point.

The vast majority of games use DirectX as their base. Developers/Publishers aren't going to invest more money to develop for both DirectX and OpenGL when Windows and the Xbox platform both use DirectX and have a large market share compared to a Valve OS (Unless the Valve OS magically overnight sold like 300million units or something to compete with Windows)

So no, this would never work. DirectX is the industry standard API and will be for the foreseeable future and MS will not license it out to Valve, it just wouldn't be good business sense.

The closest thing we would see to this is a Windows Gaming edition which I think could actually happen one day. Although it would most likely be a stripped down version of regular windows and lack too many features to make it a serious option for most users.

I love how the OP says MS killed PC gaming. It has nothing to do with MS. There has been a huge shift in focus towards console gaming since that is where the money is. Most 10 year old kids game on a console, not PC. Most pimple face teenagers game on consoles, not PC. Most soccer moms play games on the Wii, not PC (When I say most, I mean most of the percentage that plays games. Not the total number of soccer moms as a whole )

Thankfully, this year looks like its going to be a good year for PC gamers and next year is looking good as well. I think part of the reason is because indie development and smaller development studios are starting to blossom thanks to the GFC shutting down major studios so employees have broken off and made thier own, smaller independent studios. And the PC is the prime candidate for those smaller studios because its cheaper to develop for (No royalties and fees paid to MS and Sony)
Trust me, I know that MS has a stranglehold on the PC gaming market. And I wish it weren't so. But VALVe has proven that OpenGL can render games just as well as DirectX if not better when they ported the source engine to OpenGL.

IIRC the reason DirectX is where it is in the market is because MS went through the motions of removing OpenGL support from Windows XP once it developed DirectX, but just never did for fear of an anti-trust suit like what they went through with IE.
post #28 of 41
Steam comes out of a pot full of water on a stove. This is the only steam i know of?
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucka315 View Post
Steam comes out of a pot full of water on a stove. This is the only steam i know of?
Not sure if serious...
post #30 of 41
No? I use my operating system for a lot of things.
The Blevinator
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 9650 Agena 2.8GHz Biostar TA790GX A2+ Sapphire HD 4870 512mb 790MHz/1000MHz G.Skill 2 X 2gb DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Blue 500gb + 250gb Sony Optiarc DVD burner win32/ Linux Dell 17" 1280 x 1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Antec Truepower New TP650 NZXT Tempest EVO Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Fragged control 
  hide details  
Reply
The Blevinator
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 9650 Agena 2.8GHz Biostar TA790GX A2+ Sapphire HD 4870 512mb 790MHz/1000MHz G.Skill 2 X 2gb DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Blue 500gb + 250gb Sony Optiarc DVD burner win32/ Linux Dell 17" 1280 x 1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Antec Truepower New TP650 NZXT Tempest EVO Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Fragged control 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › if Valve will ever release "Steam OS", will you support it?