Originally Posted by -iceblade^
So what's the point of a surge suppressor?
There are surges and dips that are happening constantly. Most of them are constantly coming from the power company while the rest happen each and every single time some appliance is turned on or off. Such appliances include a microwave, a space heater, a garage door opener, a power tool, an upright vacuum, a "can" vacuum, a heater or vent in a bathroom, a washing machine, a dryer, an electric stove, an electric oven, a window air conditioner, central air conditioning, a dehumidifier, a refrigerator, a freezer, a blender, a hair dryer, etc., etc., etc.
Surge suppressors are just as vulnerable to lightning strikes as anything else. In fact, many make you think they're still working after they're destroyed because the LEDs might stay lit up when in fact their protective properties have been completely destroyed.
So when a strong or severe thunderstorm is about to come through, always unplug everything including the surge suppressor and including cable and phone lines and wait it out. It's better to be safe than it is to be wishing you had unplugged. Even a nearby strike can be devastating. Worse yet, it only takes one strike and it's completely unpredictable.
Originally Posted by E-Peen
Have I been lied to growing up?
Yeah, but so was I. In fact, I used to think all surge suppressors were all the same too.Edited by TwoCables - 5/30/11 at 5:54pm