Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Best GPU for i2500k system @1080p
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best GPU for i2500k system @1080p - Page 5

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p3r View Post
Besides "future proofing" I never really understood why far most people recommend the single GPU option with the multi GPU option being cheaper and better performing.

Takie a look at Crysis. It's from 2007 and is the second most demanding game out there atm., with Metro taking 1st.
Games don't evolve that fast, and a SLi or Crossfire will presumably stand out for at least 2 years until they need to be upgraded.
Now ... Obviously I cannot be sure about anything in the future at all. But I'm somewhat certain a GTX 570 isn't that much bang for the buck even in two yearsthe way the graphics cards are advancing.

2x GTX 460's can play everything at 1080p at high setting, unless you enable MSAA in Metro 2033.
Or unless the game doesn't support Crossfire or SLI. Or you could also imagine multi GPU bugs that can and do happen.

I always have, and always will grab the strongest single GPU option I can afford. And that's also what I recommend because I've seen far too many SLI / Crossfire issue threads.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p3r View Post
Besides "future proofing" I never really understood why far most people recommend the single GPU option with the multi GPU option being cheaper and better performing.

Takie a look at Crysis. It's from 2007 and is the second most demanding game out there atm., with Metro taking 1st.
Games don't evolve that fast, and a SLi or Crossfire will presumably stand out for at least 2 years until they need to be upgraded.
Now ... Obviously I cannot be sure about anything in the future at all. But I'm somewhat certain a GTX 570 isn't that much bang for the buck even in two yearsthe way the graphics cards are advancing.

2x GTX 460's can play everything at 1080p at high setting, unless you enable MSAA in Metro 2033.
Don't use Crysis as an example for that. The reason it is like that is because it's incredibly poorly optimized!

Not because games "don't evolve" quickly. Crysis is an example of terrible optimization, in some benchmarks dual core and six core CPUs are off by 2-4 fps.
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Pumpkin View Post
Don't use Crysis as an example for that. The reason it is like that is because it's incredibly poorly optimized!

Not because games "don't evolve" quickly. Crysis is an example of terrible optimization, in some benchmarks dual core and six core CPUs are off by 2-4 fps.
You do realize that Crysis is only dual threaded, right?

And its actually one of the better coded games I've played recently. Ever tried playing GTA IV, or Crysis 2 lately? Want to talk about poor porting......

I've been able to max out Crysis since my Opteron 165 @ 3.1GHz (dual core K8) with a HD4850 (at 1440x900). Took a HD4890 (same system otherwise) to get it maxed at 1080p.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
You do realize that Crysis is only dual threaded, right?

And its actually one of the better coded games I've played recently. Ever tried playing GTA IV, or Crysis 2 lately? Want to talk about poor porting......

I've been able to max out Crysis since my Opteron 165 @ 3.1GHz (dual core K8) with a HD4850 (at 1440x900). Took a HD4890 (same system otherwise) to get it maxed at 1080p.
Crysis 2 has some nice optimisations. What issues do you speak of (apart from flickering).

But yea, gta4 is terrible.
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
You do realize that Crysis is only dual threaded, right?

And its actually one of the better coded games I've played recently. Ever tried playing GTA IV, or Crysis 2 lately? Want to talk about poor porting......

I've been able to max out Crysis since my Opteron 165 @ 3.1GHz (dual core K8) with a HD4850 (at 1440x900). Took a HD4890 (same system otherwise) to get it maxed at 1080p.
Maxed out on what settings?

But to be honest, I did not realize it was only dual threaded!

I have played Crysis 2, it seems pretty good! But I haven't played that much of it... But GTA IV, yes it's pretty bad.
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 70
You can use the TT Frio on a 1155 socket.

Any reason for not getting the full sized motherboard?

What 750W PSU is that? For SLi/CF you might want to think about 850W

4GB RAM is more than enough for purely gaming and general purposes.

I recommend thinking about using the stock CPU cooler for a while, you can get to 4Ghz without any major hitches usually (use decent TIM though) give you a little more money to play with and then when you have £30/£40 spare get the TT Frio. Or you could opt for the 212+...
For both I'd recommend getting better fans. The TT Frio's stock fans are quite loud at load. Gentle Typhoons in Push/Pull is what I have going on.

Personally I'd recommend a single GPU solution, better power efficiency, less heat, less noise (slightly controversial obvs.) and you can always get another card in a year or two if you find performance lagging. Although you'll notice improvements in multi GPU configurations, it's not the same for every game. Check some reviews out of the cards you're thinking about to get an idea.
Drivers are quite annoying with SLi/CF as well.

I'd go for the 570 if it's in your budget, just get one with decent VRMs as some have overheating issues if overvolted (fine at stock though)
6970 is another option.
Best card to go for would be the 580 though, slightly better frames than the 570. As mentioned already no need to go 3GB at your resolution anyway.

What is your budget by the way? For both the card and the system

What size TV is it? Personally I find gaming on a TV ruins the experience, the pixel density is quite poor so the clarity and definition of the picture suffers.
Edited by Zorginator - 6/2/11 at 3:29am
Workhorse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC 8GB Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Samsung SH-S223 22x Windows 7 64bit BenQ G2420HDBL 
PowerCase
Corsair TX650 Antec Three Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
Workhorse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC 8GB Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Samsung SH-S223 22x Windows 7 64bit BenQ G2420HDBL 
PowerCase
Corsair TX650 Antec Three Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorginator View Post
You can use the TT Frio on a 1155 socket.

Any reason for not getting the full sized motherboard?

What 750W PSU is that? For SLi/CF you might want to think about 850W

4GB RAM is more than enough for purely gaming and general purposes.

I recommend thinking about using the stock CPU cooler for a while, you can get to 4Ghz without any major hitches usually (use decent TIM though) give you a little more money to play with and then when you have £30/£40 spare get the TT Frio. Or you could opt for the 212+...
For both I'd recommend getting better fans. The TT Frio's stock fans are quite loud at load. Gentle Typhoons in Push/Pull is what I have going on.

Personally I'd recommend a single GPU solution, better power efficiency, less heat, less noise (slightly controversial obvs.) and you can always get another card in a year or two if you find performance lagging. Although you'll notice improvements in multi GPU configurations, it's not the same for every game. Check some reviews out of the cards you're thinking about to get an idea.
Drivers are quite annoying with SLi/CF as well.

I'd go for the 570 if it's in your budget, just get one with decent VRMs as some have overheating issues if overvolted (fine at stock though)
6970 is another option.
Best card to go for would be the 580 though, slightly better frames than the 570. As mentioned already no need to go 3GB at your resolution anyway.

What is your budget by the way? For both the card and the system

What size TV is it? Personally I find gaming on a TV ruins the experience, the pixel density is quite poor so the clarity and definition of the picture suffers.
An 850w PSU is not needed for Crossfire or Sli...

A 750w PSU is fine. Even a 650w PSU is even depending on what GPU and the efficiency of the PSU in question.

For SLi 560's a decent 750w power supply is all that is needed. A good 650w PSU like the Seasonic X650 or AX650 will also be enough.
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
Or unless the game doesn't support Crossfire or SLI. Or you could also imagine multi GPU bugs that can and do happen.

I always have, and always will grab the strongest single GPU option I can afford. And that's also what I recommend because I've seen far too many SLI / Crossfire issue threads.
It's odd. I never had an issue and have almost only heard people praising SLi and AMD's Radeon HD 6000 series in Crossfire.

I mean, what's the risk of bugs with a multiple GPU's anyway ? It cannot be more than 2% with the configurations mentioned above.


Quote:
Don't use Crysis as an example for that. The reason it is like that is because it's incredibly poorly optimized!

Not because games "don't evolve" quickly. Crysis is an example of terrible optimization, in some benchmarks dual core and six core CPUs are off by 2-4 fps.
And yes, that is true. However, it doesn't change the fact that games hasn't been much further demanding for 4 years now. It's irelevant if it's poor optimized or not.
The
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
The
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Pumpkin View Post
An 850w PSU is not needed for Crossfire or Sli...

A 750w PSU is fine. Even a 650w PSU is even depending on what GPU and the efficiency of the PSU in question.

For SLi 560's a decent 750w power supply is all that is needed. A good 650w PSU like the Seasonic X650 or AX650 will also be enough.
I belive even a decent 550W should do it quite fine.
The
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
The
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p3r View Post
It's odd. I never had an issue and have almost only heard people praising SLi and AMD's Radeon HD 6000 series in Crossfire.

I mean, what's the risk of bugs with a multiple GPU's anyway ? It cannot be more than 2% with the configurations mentioned above.




And yes, that is true. However, it doesn't change the fact that games hasn't been much further demanding for 4 years now. It's irelevant if it's poor optimized or not.
Then why are new GPU's being released that don't hit massive frame rates on games now? Especially if a game from 4 years ago is as stressing as a game from now.

I just think that games become more demanding on hardware as graphical liimits are pushed. Such as Crysis. Even though it was poorly optimised it looked amazing when it was first realised! A step up from COD4.

It wouldn't make sense that a new game can come out that looks far better and has better and more interactive environments can be down to all development and programming. The hardware must be faster to deal with the new additions.


Edited by Nutty Pumpkin - 6/2/11 at 4:02am
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
Eysenck Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 Asus B350M-A XFX AMD Vega RX 64 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Intel M.2 SSD Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 27UD58 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow (Cherry Blue) Corsair TX550 Silverstone TJ08-E Logitech G403 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Best GPU for i2500k system @1080p