Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › How to change RAM Voltage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to change RAM Voltage?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my graphics card (XFX5850 Black) crashing with blue/green stripes across the screen if I do anything intensive, and the support person said I should up the voltage of my RAM to 1.6V (from 1.5 currently automatically set), I've also found a forum where someone said to try the same thing which fixed their similar problem. I have OCZ RAM that is listed as 1.65V, and my motherboard is the Asus P6X58D-E.

So I tried to change the DRAM Bus Voltage in Ai Tweaker to 1.6V (leaving everything else at automatic) but when I go into Windows and check with CPU-Z, the Voltage listed at the bottom of the SPD tab remains the same at 1.5V. I was wondering whether there is another setting in Ai Tweaker that I would need to change for the voltage to change?

I couldn't find anything through google or searches here on this question, since every thread dealing with Ai Tweaker talks about overclocking which I don't want do to. The motherboard manual wasn't very clear on this either.

I would appreciate your help!
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorodo;13716722 
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my graphics card (XFX5850 Black) crashing with blue/green stripes across the screen if I do anything intensive, and the support person said I should up the voltage of my RAM to 1.6V (from 1.5 currently automatically set), I've also found a forum where someone said to try the same thing which fixed their similar problem. I have OCZ RAM that is listed as 1.65V, and my motherboard is the Asus P6X58D-E.

So I tried to change the DRAM Bus Voltage in Ai Tweaker to 1.6V (leaving everything else at automatic) but when I go into Windows and check with CPU-Z, the Voltage listed at the bottom of the SPD tab remains the same at 1.5V. I was wondering whether there is another setting in Ai Tweaker that I would need to change for the voltage to change?

I couldn't find anything through google or searches here on this question, since every thread dealing with Ai Tweaker talks about overclocking which I don't want do to. The motherboard manual wasn't very clear on this either.

I would appreciate your help!

i wonder, there is a ton of energy saving settings in the bios, i apologize for not having exact information

but many of these options can be set to off in order to achieve stable overclocks without vcore drops
Nameless Traitor
(14 items)
 
†he cu|†
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 920@3.8ghz Asus P6T-Deluxe GTX 570 1.2gb ;p Mushkin RedLine: 3x2GB 1600mhz 998805 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Crucial M4 SSD + 2 x 250GB + 500GB Extern... Noctua U12P Win7 Ultimate 64-bit 20in Wide LCD 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky OCN 1008 MX Brown MechBoard Corsair CMPSU-750HX HAF 932! Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Cool Warhammer Print 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opty 165 CCBBE @ 300fsb DFI LanP UT SLI-DR eVGA 8800gts 640mb 2x1gb Corsair XMS TwinX P 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250 g sataII Max†or NEC DVD+/-DL XP pro 20.1 inch wide 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some old Thing OCZ GameXstream 600w Spire Baby! Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
What? 
  hide details  
Reply
Nameless Traitor
(14 items)
 
†he cu|†
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 920@3.8ghz Asus P6T-Deluxe GTX 570 1.2gb ;p Mushkin RedLine: 3x2GB 1600mhz 998805 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Crucial M4 SSD + 2 x 250GB + 500GB Extern... Noctua U12P Win7 Ultimate 64-bit 20in Wide LCD 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky OCN 1008 MX Brown MechBoard Corsair CMPSU-750HX HAF 932! Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Cool Warhammer Print 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opty 165 CCBBE @ 300fsb DFI LanP UT SLI-DR eVGA 8800gts 640mb 2x1gb Corsair XMS TwinX P 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250 g sataII Max†or NEC DVD+/-DL XP pro 20.1 inch wide 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some old Thing OCZ GameXstream 600w Spire Baby! Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
What? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorodo;13716722 
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my graphics card (XFX5850 Black) crashing with blue/green stripes across the screen if I do anything intensive, and the support person said I should up the voltage of my RAM to 1.6V (from 1.5 currently automatically set), I've also found a forum where someone said to try the same thing which fixed their similar problem. I have OCZ RAM that is listed as 1.65V, and my motherboard is the Asus P6X58D-E.

So I tried to change the DRAM Bus Voltage in Ai Tweaker to 1.6V (leaving everything else at automatic) but when I go into Windows and check with CPU-Z, the Voltage listed at the bottom of the SPD tab remains the same at 1.5V. I was wondering whether there is another setting in Ai Tweaker that I would need to change for the voltage to change?

I couldn't find anything through google or searches here on this question, since every thread dealing with Ai Tweaker talks about overclocking which I don't want do to. The motherboard manual wasn't very clear on this either.

I would appreciate your help!

The spd tab in cpu-z just tells you the voltage it is rated for at the jedec standards & xmp setting, not the actual voltage. Something like hwmonitor or the overclocking software that came with the mobo should tell you the actual memory voltage (software won't be exact, but should be close to the actual voltage).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW 420;13716804 
The spd tab in cpu-z just tells you the voltage it is rated for at the jedec standards & xmp setting, not the actual voltage. Something like hwmonitor or the overclocking software that came with the mobo should tell you the actual memory voltage (software won't be exact, but should be close to the actual voltage).

HW monitor doesn't show my RAM's voltage..

I've also tried PC Wizard and that doesn't have a voltage indicator either.

do you know if there's another program I could try?

thanks!
post #5 of 6
hwinfo32 is another one, I know that one works with x58 & p67.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW 420;13717210 
hwinfo32 is another one, I know that one works with x58 & p67.

Thanks, I tried that program and the only thing close to Voltage readings is the bottom right corner of the system summaries page.

510759681.PNG

from the looks of it, it is indeed reporting the specified voltage rather than the actual voltage since it shows all the possible frequencies...

further googling suggests that most mobos can't read the actual RAM voltage, does this sound reasonable?

Should I just go ahead and try putting the DRAM Bus Voltage up to 1.6V in BIOS and check if the graphics card crashes again to see what happens?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › How to change RAM Voltage?