Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Why does Windows Phone 7 get so much hate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does Windows Phone 7 get so much hate? - Page 3

post #21 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeyjoe View Post
Yeah... um, its had an extra ~2 years in the market, of course its going to be better. Look back to when android was in its infancy, WP7 is doing much much better.
I remember when Android first came out...the platform was so buggy and hard to use. But it was still a solid OS, at least imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeyjoe View Post
plus it has the slickest UI ever.
Lol, this.
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
I remember when Android first came out...the platform was so buggy and hard to use. But it was still a solid OS, at least imo.
...and WP7 was much much more stable and a lot less buggy at release, it has a lot going for it when it catches up imo.
post #23 of 66
I don't mind it considering i've skinned my Android phone to it Just I would assume alot of fan boys loving it.
ESXi Home Box
(6 items)
 
The Workstation.
(16 items)
 
 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Dual L5630 72GB DDR3 RECC 120GB VERTEX 4 + 6TB RAID5 ESXi 6.0 U2 
Other
Dell PowedgeR710  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2.4GHZ Intel Iris Pro 16GB DDR3 256GB PCI-e x2 
OSKeyboardMouse
OSX 10.11 + Win 10 Apple Wireless Keyboard Apple Magic Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Home Box
(6 items)
 
The Workstation.
(16 items)
 
 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Dual L5630 72GB DDR3 RECC 120GB VERTEX 4 + 6TB RAID5 ESXi 6.0 U2 
Other
Dell PowedgeR710  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2.4GHZ Intel Iris Pro 16GB DDR3 256GB PCI-e x2 
OSKeyboardMouse
OSX 10.11 + Win 10 Apple Wireless Keyboard Apple Magic Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 66
I really wanted to like windows mobile phone 7 but...


The interface is terrible (maybe HTC have done something with it to make it usable)

The settings are a nightmare

The apps available for it are terrible, and there are barely any available (and half of those are rip offs of other products doing the same thing)



I know lots of you will come back and say how great all of this things are, but frankly compared to other products on the market, it isn't competitive...

...yet.



I know they did just do a massive update after they "disposed" of the moron who made the original without copy paste functionality. Frankly after a mistake that big I wonder if he had the will to go on living...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5645 @ 4.2Ghz P6X58D-E 5450 x2 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 
CoolingOSPowerCase
ALPENFOHN K2 Windows 7 Pro Antec Truepower Trio 650W Dell Optiplex 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5645 @ 4.2Ghz P6X58D-E 5450 x2 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 
CoolingOSPowerCase
ALPENFOHN K2 Windows 7 Pro Antec Truepower Trio 650W Dell Optiplex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabid View Post
I really wanted to like windows mobile phone 7 but...


The interface is terrible (maybe HTC have done something with it to make it usable)

The settings are a nightmare

The apps available for it are terrible, and there are barely any available (and half of those are rip offs of other products doing the same thing)



I know lots of you will come back and say how great all of this things are, but frankly compared to other products on the market, it isn't competitive...

...yet.



I know they did just do a massive update after they "disposed" of the moron who made the original without copy paste functionality. Frankly after a mistake that big I wonder if he had the will to go on living...
ok, I'll defend WP7 on this...

1. Opinions, the interface is very slick which most people like.
2. No different to an iphone/stock android
3. Its a new OS, it'll catch up in due time
4. Android wasn't competitive when it was released, iOS destroyed it. The same will most likely happen with WP7.
5. um... iOS didn't have it up until recently.

Anything else? You have to remember its still in its infancy, and therefore can't really compete with other OS's yet. It has huge potential though.
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeyjoe View Post
ok, I'll defend WP7 on this...

1. Opinions, the interface is very slick which most people like.
2. No different to an iphone/stock android
3. Its a new OS, it'll catch up in due time
4. Android wasn't competitive when it was released, iOS destroyed it. The same will most likely happen with WP7.
5. um... iOS didn't have it up until recently.

Anything else? You have to remember its still in its infancy, and therefore can't really compete with other OS's yet. It has huge potential though.
1. I have used the HD7 which has a disgusting interface (in my opinion of course). I'm no apple fan, I would consider dismemberment before buying an iphone, but the (one of the) reasons it's so popular, is because anybody can pick it up without instructions and use it easily, I don't find this with windows phones.

2. the difference in settings is that because of the HTC overlay, in my experience of other windows phone OSs (this is based on mobile 6.5 [which I currently have and like more than what I have seen of phone 7]) the settings end up buried in parts of the phone most users don't even know exist, from what I have seen of the windows phone 7 settings, not a lot has changed.

3. I thought that over a year ago, but the windows market place still has around 1000 apps on it and 90% of them are terrible, I'm not going to even risk it again when somebody else has a much bigger app store available now and I know it's going to increase in size 10+ times more than the complete microsoft store in a single year!

4. That may be so, but... I'm not going to buy something on the hope that a later version of it will be good. I personally don't think windows phone will be honestly competitive for another year+

5. I know iOS didn't have copy paste until recently, but older iterations of windows mobile did have it. and also one of the big selling features was copy paste functionality.

Don't get me wrong, I have faith that windows will make a good OS out of it in the end. But currently, it isn't up to scratch.

There's no way I'm going to buy a phone based on what it might one day be.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5645 @ 4.2Ghz P6X58D-E 5450 x2 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 
CoolingOSPowerCase
ALPENFOHN K2 Windows 7 Pro Antec Truepower Trio 650W Dell Optiplex 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5645 @ 4.2Ghz P6X58D-E 5450 x2 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 
CoolingOSPowerCase
ALPENFOHN K2 Windows 7 Pro Antec Truepower Trio 650W Dell Optiplex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 66
Some rather uneducated people chiming into this thread.
I don't even want to waste my time correcting some people.
post #28 of 66
Because hating Microsoft makes you hip?

A lot of the hate come from people who bought Windows mobile 6.1 and didn't realize it was still a stylus based OS. Then 6.5 was half-assed and many mfg's didn't update their phones.

Microsoft often gets the blame for hardware problems too. The phones that were initially released weren't of the best quality. Honestly this was the reason I bought an iPhone rather than a Windows or Android phone. Plus support was a huge issue. Seeing how long the Kin phones lasted didn't give me much confidence in Microsoft. If the Nokia partnership yields a solid well built phone I would consider moving over.
Ace
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASUS P8Z77-V PRO ASUS 6950 2GB 16 GB Samsung MV-3V4G3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD Caviar Black 640GB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Thermalright Venomous-X 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
GT AP-15 Push/Pull + Case Intake Scythe S-Flex Case Exhaust Win7 x64 Enterprise Acer 24" P243W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Semi-Custom Cherry MX Browns Corsair HX750W Lian Li PC-7FN Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
none Asus Xonar Essence STX Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
Ace
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASUS P8Z77-V PRO ASUS 6950 2GB 16 GB Samsung MV-3V4G3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD Caviar Black 640GB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Thermalright Venomous-X 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
GT AP-15 Push/Pull + Case Intake Scythe S-Flex Case Exhaust Win7 x64 Enterprise Acer 24" P243W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Semi-Custom Cherry MX Browns Corsair HX750W Lian Li PC-7FN Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
none Asus Xonar Essence STX Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by triallen View Post
Because hating Microsoft makes you hip?

A lot of the hate come from people who bought Windows mobile 6.1 and didn't realize it was still a stylus based OS. Then 6.5 was half-assed and many mfg's didn't update their phones.

Microsoft often gets the blame for hardware problems too. The phones that were initially released weren't of the best quality. Honestly this was the reason I bought an iPhone rather than a Windows or Android phone. Plus support was a huge issue. Seeing how long the Kin phones lasted didn't give me much confidence in Microsoft. If the Nokia partnership yields a solid well built phone I would consider moving over.
How often do you contact support anyways?

If you know what you're doing...everything that customer/technical support tells you is everything you've tried and know does not work.
post #30 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabid View Post
1. I have used the HD7 which has a disgusting interface (in my opinion of course). I'm no apple fan, I would consider dismemberment before buying an iphone, but the (one of the) reasons it's so popular, is because anybody can pick it up without instructions and use it easily, I don't find this with windows phones.

2. the difference in settings is that because of the HTC overlay, in my experience of other windows phone OSs (this is based on mobile 6.5 [which I currently have and like more than what I have seen of phone 7]) the settings end up buried in parts of the phone most users don't even know exist, from what I have seen of the windows phone 7 settings, not a lot has changed.

3. I thought that over a year ago, but the windows market place still has around 1000 apps on it and 90% of them are terrible, I'm not going to even risk it again when somebody else has a much bigger app store available now and I know it's going to increase in size 10+ times more than the complete microsoft store in a single year!

4. That may be so, but... I'm not going to buy something on the hope that a later version of it will be good. I personally don't think windows phone will be honestly competitive for another year+

5. I know iOS didn't have copy paste until recently, but older iterations of windows mobile did have it. and also one of the big selling features was copy paste functionality.
1. This completely varies from user to user. Me personally I like the UI because it's simple, it looks nice, and it gets the job done quickly. Plus I love the animations lol.

2. Tbh aren't all settings, in any device, pretty badly organized? I really don't see why you think it is more disorganized than other devices...the settings interface is much like what you'd see in any other device.

3. You mentioned earlier that many apps are copies of themselves in the Windows store. Yeah...that happens on both iOS and Android too. Sure WP7 doesn't have as many apps, but what apps do you actually use and need? I only use tools and productivity apps. The only other apps would be games--which there are plently of. These basic apps are always available on any of the stores (Marketplace, Market, or App Store) even if there are multiple iterations of the same app. In essense...yes, the competitors have more apps, but they are all filled with useless apps like iFart. There are a limited number of apps that you actually use and need, apart from that are just Lady Gaga or iFart apps.

4. When reviewing the WP7 OS it is only fair to drop your opinions on previous versions of the OS and review it just as itself.

5. It wasn't in the first release, correct. But, the important thing is that it is available now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Why does Windows Phone 7 get so much hate?