Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › How to control Fan Speed in Ubuntu?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to control Fan Speed in Ubuntu?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am using a GTX465 in Ubuntu 11.04 with recommended driver installed. Need the ability to set the fan speed because of heat issues while playing video games. Tried nvclock in the terminal resulting with "Error: Your card doesn't support fanspeed adjustments!" New to Linux and looking for any suggestions.

Thanks.
post #2 of 16
have you tried SpeedFan??

(or its ubuntu made equivalent)
Conky

http://conky.sourceforge.net/
Mushy - X58
(29 items)
 
Grandia
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5680 @ 4.71 EVGA X58 SLI3 PowerColor AX 290X Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Mushkin Chronos 480GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB Mushkin Eco2 120GB WD 1.5 Green 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK WB Supremacy Evo Nickel 2 x Nidec AP60 2 x Fractal GP12's 4 x Swiftech Helix 120's 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek Coolstream XE 480mm EK Coolstream XT 240mm EK EVGA X58 SLI3 WB 400mL EK Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK DCP 2.2  4 x Koolance 12038HBK Lamptron FC8 Controller 4 x Scythe 110 SlipStream 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Samsung U28E590D 2160P Logitech G510 Seasonic Platinum 1200XP3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor+ 6000BWS CoolerMaster Sentinel Advanced 5600DPI Steelseries 9.7 x 10.5 Logitech z323 (Two Sets) 
Other
Dimmable LED (Green & White) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-l12 3 x Nidec Gentle Typhoon AP60 (2150RPM) 2 x Enermax TB Silence 80mm  Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony XBR65X930D Logitech K830 Seasonic Titanium Prime 750w SilverStone Grandia GD09B 
Other
Xbox One Wireless PC Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Mushy - X58
(29 items)
 
Grandia
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5680 @ 4.71 EVGA X58 SLI3 PowerColor AX 290X Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Mushkin Chronos 480GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB Mushkin Eco2 120GB WD 1.5 Green 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK WB Supremacy Evo Nickel 2 x Nidec AP60 2 x Fractal GP12's 4 x Swiftech Helix 120's 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek Coolstream XE 480mm EK Coolstream XT 240mm EK EVGA X58 SLI3 WB 400mL EK Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK DCP 2.2  4 x Koolance 12038HBK Lamptron FC8 Controller 4 x Scythe 110 SlipStream 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Samsung U28E590D 2160P Logitech G510 Seasonic Platinum 1200XP3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Armor+ 6000BWS CoolerMaster Sentinel Advanced 5600DPI Steelseries 9.7 x 10.5 Logitech z323 (Two Sets) 
Other
Dimmable LED (Green & White) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-l12 3 x Nidec Gentle Typhoon AP60 (2150RPM) 2 x Enermax TB Silence 80mm  Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony XBR65X930D Logitech K830 Seasonic Titanium Prime 750w SilverStone Grandia GD09B 
Other
Xbox One Wireless PC Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
There is no option under your Nvidia control panel under system? I cant speak for Nvidia but ATI has two options under system and one is for Administrative and it has more options. System-Preferences-Nvidia control panel (administrative)
post #4 of 16
http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/859010-changing-fan-speed-most-nvidia-video.html
Quote:
Today I got a GTX470.
and when the card is folding at full load it can git a bit hot.
unforchantly nvclook does not support that card like most newer cards
so after hours web browsing I found a way to change the fan speed thought the nvidia driver smile.gif

open a Terminal an type
Quote:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and add this line
Quote:
Option "Coolbits" "5"
under
Quote:
Section "Device"
should look something like this
attachment.php?attachmentid=179300&stc=1&d=1288858719



reboot your x server

then start up Nvidia x server setting
and look under the tab "Thermal Setting"
and you can change the fan speed biggrin.gif
attachment.php?attachmentid=179299&stc=1&d=1288858719
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Been trying to get conky to work, set up just as ubuntu forums instruct and did successfully install it. restarted and it displayed its readings at the bottom of screen but i cannot find how to open the program. continuing this resolution.

The nVidia X Server Settings displays that the fan is running at 40% but gives no option to change the setting.

for some reason the xorg.conf file is empty. According to his img there is a lot of info yet mine has nothing. Unsure of what to do with that.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrath;13722036 
Been trying to get conky to work, set up just as ubuntu forums instruct and did successfully install it. restarted and it displayed its readings at the bottom of screen but i cannot find how to open the program. continuing this resolution.

The nVidia X Server Settings displays that the fan is running at 40% but gives no option to change the setting.

for some reason the xorg.conf file is empty. According to his img there is a lot of info yet mine has nothing. Unsure of what to do with that.

Have you tried right clicking the top task bar and selecting add to panel and seeing if its in there?
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;13722175 
Have you tried right clicking the top task bar and selecting add to panel and seeing if its in there?

its not actually. What do i do?
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrath;13722199 
its not actually. What do i do?

The very top bar you have, where the time and date and all is. Right click a blank spot, then select "add to panel' see what programs are under there. A lot of times when you enable a new program it pops up under there. NM, see you said its not there.
PS. Im new to this Linux stuff too.
Edited by Chuckclc - 6/2/11 at 1:57am
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;13722214 
The very top bar you have, where the time and date and all is. Right click a blank spot, then select "add to panel' see what programs are under there. A lot of times when you enable a new program it pops up under there.

PS. Im new to this Linux stuff too.

oh what i ment was, it does not show up as a program i could add. what should i do from here? I have found many different websites and forums that explain in different ways on how to set it up. Not sure which one to go by after following ubuntu forum and following what it said ending in confusion and failure. Just wanna play wow without my card overheating. This is way more complicated than windows, i feel like the customers i service PCs for lol.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrath;13722252 
oh what i ment was, it does not show up as a program i could add. what should i do from here? I have found many different websites and forums that explain in different ways on how to set it up. Not sure which one to go by after following ubuntu forum and following what it said ending in confusion and failure. Just wanna play wow without my card overheating. This is way more complicated than windows, i feel like the customers i service PCs for lol.

Yeah, I have had hell dealing with some linux stuff. Like getting an Internet connection with linuxMint 11! Loved everything bout it but no matter what people suggested could not get network to connect.

I actually stick with Windows for gaming.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › How to control Fan Speed in Ubuntu?