Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Engadget] Sony Pictures hacked by Lulz Security
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Engadget] Sony Pictures hacked by Lulz Security - Page 12  

post #111 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Here we go again with the silly car analogies and the Geohot fanclub. Ford WOULD sue you if you reverse engineered the program it's car's computers were running and distributed it the code. It's not the hardware that's a concern, it's the software.

Dunno how many times that has to be said to you people. Pretty pathetic that you can't see the logic behind it, actually.
If you dont want any rights to a product you bought fine by me, you run a modded bios on your GPU, sued, flash a custom rom on your phone, sued. Ive never agreed to any statements or signed any papers when buying a xbox, or anything for that matter. He didnt go online and hack, he isnt at fault here for doing what he wants to do with his own product. If sony gets mad at one guy for jailbreaking a PS3 when Sony couldnt even secure it? There fault. I know this isnt about hard ware, but you must not know its about consumer rights, the fact that Sony even dare say you dont own the PS3, you just bought a license to keep it in your home and use it is absurd. You must not get that.
Edited by codejunki - 6/3/11 at 7:25am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.8 Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 atx MSI 660ti SLI Corsair Vengeance 1866mHz 16Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Mx200 250 GB, 1TB WD Black Corsair H80  Win7 Home Premium Corsair 850HX 
Case
Carbide 400R 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k 4.8 Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 atx MSI 660ti SLI Corsair Vengeance 1866mHz 16Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Mx200 250 GB, 1TB WD Black Corsair H80  Win7 Home Premium Corsair 850HX 
Case
Carbide 400R 
  hide details  
post #112 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by codejunki View Post
If you dont want any rights to a product you bought fine by me, you run a modded bios on your GPU, sued, flash a custom rom on your phone, sued. Ive never agreed to any statements or signed any papers when buying a xbox, or anything for that matter. He didnt go online and hack, he isnt at fault here for doing what he wants to do with his own product. If sony gets mad at one guy for jailbreaking a PS3 when Sony couldnt even secure it? There fault. I know this isnt about hard ware, but you must not know its about consumer rights, the fact that Sony even dare say you dont own the PS3, you just bought a license to keep it in your home and use it is absurd. You must not get that.
No, you're missing the entire point behind it all. The original modders for the XBox firmaware couldn't be sued because they built THEIR OWN FIRMWARE rather than hacking Microsoft's. Had Geohot done that, there'd be no issue. And had Geohot kept the code to himself or provided a How-to online, Sony couldn't have done anything. Instead he released the modified firmware to the internet.

Instead of actually building something, he took other people's hacking work, and took it further. He's a sham. That's all he is. he did the same with his iPhone firmware. Then he begs for support money to fight Sony, and what does he do? He settles.

When you screw with a company's intellectual property, you're gonna get sued. Simple as that.
post #113 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
No, you're missing the entire point behind it all. The original modders for the XBox firmaware couldn't be sued because they built THEIR OWN FIRMWARE rather than hacking Microsoft's. Had Geohot done that, there'd be no issue. And had Geohot kept the code to himself or provided a How-to online, Sony couldn't have done anything. Instead he released the modified firmware to the internet.

Instead of actually building something, he took other people's hacking work, and took it further. He's a sham. That's all he is. he did the same with his iPhone firmware. Then he begs for support money to fight Sony, and what does he do? He settles.

When you screw with a company's intellectual property, you're gonna get sued. Simple as that.

EXACTLY! Finally, it seems like everyone on these boards now are all pro doing whatever the heck you want with devices you "own".

Here's a new one, in order to "own" any of these products, you specifically agreed to the terms and conditions that were provided either on or in the box or at the initial time of setup.

Think of the recent South Park episode human centipad. Even by not reading the ToS but clicking Agree makes it a binding legal document, case and point. You break that agreement, you suffer the consequences.

Ownership of the hardware, sure, however almost any and all software you have is simply a license to use that software. You'd be hard pressed to find any software out there that a business uses to make money, have a license agreement allowing you to modify and distribute it. Last I checked, Sony's software does not utilize the GNU General Public License in any way.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i5 6500 ASRock H110M-DGS XFX RX480 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB HP Blu-ray Corsair H55 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 24MP55HQ Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair CX550M 
CaseMouse
Rosewill SRM-01 Corsair M45 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i5 6500 ASRock H110M-DGS XFX RX480 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Seagate Barracuda 3TB HP Blu-ray Corsair H55 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 24MP55HQ Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair CX550M 
CaseMouse
Rosewill SRM-01 Corsair M45 
  hide details  
post #114 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
No, you're missing the entire point behind it all. The original modders for the XBox firmaware couldn't be sued because they built THEIR OWN FIRMWARE rather than hacking Microsoft's. Had Geohot done that, there'd be no issue. And had Geohot kept the code to himself or provided a How-to online, Sony couldn't have done anything. Instead he released the modified firmware to the internet.

Instead of actually building something, he took other people's hacking work, and took it further. He's a sham. That's all he is. he did the same with his iPhone firmware. Then he begs for support money to fight Sony, and what does he do? He settles.

When you screw with a company's intellectual property, you're gonna get sued. Simple as that.
Codejunki may come off a little strong, but I think it's you who is entirely missing the point. It's fine to say that you shouldn't screw with a company's intellectual property, and if you do you are likely to be sued. But on the otherhand, it is NOT fine for a company to imply that you don't actually own the hardware you purchased. You only own a license to use it.

Maybe you can't see the possible future consequences of such attitudes from a global manufacturer of games consoles. But a future where it's actually sold as a license to play and the console is lent to you is where they clearly want to go. A future where boxed games no longer exist and you have to pay a subscription fee for every single game "to sustain the games industry" is where they want to head. The more people who defend their aggressive actions like you, the sooner we will get there.

FYI, I'm not saying Sony shouldn't sue. Like I said, it's you who is missing the point that they sue and add in another 10 combo killer punches.
SMITH
(14 items)
 
  
SMITH
(14 items)
 
  
post #115 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayanagi-Phoenix View Post
Codejunki may come off a little strong, but I think it's you who is entirely missing the point. It's fine to say that you shouldn't screw with a company's intellectual property, and if you do you are likely to be sued. But on the otherhand, it is NOT fine for a company to imply that you don't actually own the hardware you purchased. You only own a license to use it.

Maybe you can't see the possible future consequences of such attitudes from a global manufacturer of games consoles. But a future where it's actually sold as a license to play and the console is lent to you is where they clearly want to go. A future where boxed games no longer exist and you have to pay a subscription fee for every single game "to sustain the games industry" is where they want to head. The more people who defend their aggressive actions like you, the sooner we will get there.

FYI, I'm not saying Sony shouldn't sue. Like I said, it's you who is missing the point that they sue and add in another 10 combo killer punches.

I've never advocated how far Sony went with it's case against Geohot. The demands of IP addresses from Youtube and Paypal was absolutely ridiculous.

And, to that end, I've also never been against the hardware modification of a PS3. However he thinks that the hardware is the issue here when it simply is not, it's the proprietary firmware that is.
post #116 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
I've never advocated how far Sony went with it's case against Geohot. The demands of IP addresses from Youtube and Paypal was absolutely ridiculous.

And, to that end, I've also never been against the hardware modification of a PS3. However he thinks that the hardware is the issue here when it simply is not, it's the proprietary firmware that is.
I'm pretty sure in their case against geohot, Sony specified that users had no right to modify the hardware either, not just firmware/software. What I'm trying to say is that you can't take a neutral/fair stance against such an aggressive company. That's why I'll never support any defence people put up for them. This despite the fact I own(ed) PS1, PsOne, PS2, PsTwo, PS3, and PSP. I just think they are a terrible horrible company now. It has been a steady change into what they have become over the years. If it wasn't for the fact that most of the games I want to play are released on their consoles, I would have stopped at PS2.
SMITH
(14 items)
 
  
SMITH
(14 items)
 
  
post #117 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayanagi-Phoenix View Post
Codejunki may come off a little strong, but I think it's you who is entirely missing the point. It's fine to say that you shouldn't screw with a company's intellectual property, and if you do you are likely to be sued. But on the otherhand, it is NOT fine for a company to imply that you don't actually own the hardware you purchased. You only own a license to use it.

Maybe you can't see the possible future consequences of such attitudes from a global manufacturer of games consoles. But a future where it's actually sold as a license to play and the console is lent to you is where they clearly want to go. A future where boxed games no longer exist and you have to pay a subscription fee for every single game "to sustain the games industry" is where they want to head. The more people who defend their aggressive actions like you, the sooner we will get there.

FYI, I'm not saying Sony shouldn't sue. Like I said, it's you who is missing the point that they sue and add in another 10 combo killer punches.
This isn't accurate.

On purchase you OWN the hardware out right, it's yours to do with as you please to a certain extent, HOWEVER, their software (THEIR) is licensed to them, created by them and marketed by them, to which, you as the end user only have the RIGHT to use. Not modify, not alter, not "hack", USE.

Sony makes that VERY clear.

In the case of Geohot, he MODIFIED, ALTERED, HACKED and then distributed that very "software".

It would be like my hacking Windows, publishing my findings and distributing it...You think Microsoft isn't going to be pissed off when i do this?

Your claim that he's missing the point, is basically saying that our intellectual rights and copyrights hold no bearing...That Sony's OS's aren't theirs even though you sign an agreement and that plagiarism is okay because, you get what you paid for...That's just completely off base.
post #118 of 185
Ha Ha thats what Sony gets for messing with geohot!
Black
(19 items)
 
Green
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k Z87 Classified Gigabyte GTX780ti Gigabyte GTX780ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.skill 16gb 2400Mhz Samsung 850 Evo 250gb Samsung 850 Evo 250gb custom tube watercooling with 480 and 240 rads 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Samsung SA23A750 Samsung SA23A750 Samsung SA23A750 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Newskill Cherry RED  Lepa 1600w custom sleeve Silverstone TJ07 Zowie ec2 evo 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qcl+ AudioPro SB1 APC UPS Pro 1200 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4590 GA-H97N-WIFI Palit GTX1060 Dual G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Cryorig C1 windows 10 Samsung S23A750D 
PowerCase
Sharkon 500W SFX-L SilverStone FT03 Mini 
  hide details  
Black
(19 items)
 
Green
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k Z87 Classified Gigabyte GTX780ti Gigabyte GTX780ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.skill 16gb 2400Mhz Samsung 850 Evo 250gb Samsung 850 Evo 250gb custom tube watercooling with 480 and 240 rads 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Samsung SA23A750 Samsung SA23A750 Samsung SA23A750 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Newskill Cherry RED  Lepa 1600w custom sleeve Silverstone TJ07 Zowie ec2 evo 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qcl+ AudioPro SB1 APC UPS Pro 1200 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4590 GA-H97N-WIFI Palit GTX1060 Dual G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Cryorig C1 windows 10 Samsung S23A750D 
PowerCase
Sharkon 500W SFX-L SilverStone FT03 Mini 
  hide details  
post #119 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconFrost31 View Post
At least Sony offers free online play. That is what I personally love about owning a PS3.
and looks what it gets you...downtime for a month + identity fraud...for free!
Old Reliable
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955BE C3 @ 3.82 GHz [1.404v Load] ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 [2.8 GHz NB @ 1.318v] ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws [1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 [Backplate Mod] [MX-2] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H236HLbid  Logitech K120 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular NZXT M59 [5 x 120mm Fans + Rheobus Fan Controller] 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech MX518 ASUS Xonar DG + Logitech Z523 Turtle Beach Ear Force X11s 
  hide details  
Old Reliable
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955BE C3 @ 3.82 GHz [1.404v Load] ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 [2.8 GHz NB @ 1.318v] ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws [1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 [Backplate Mod] [MX-2] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H236HLbid  Logitech K120 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular NZXT M59 [5 x 120mm Fans + Rheobus Fan Controller] 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech MX518 ASUS Xonar DG + Logitech Z523 Turtle Beach Ear Force X11s 
  hide details  
post #120 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
This isn't accurate.

On purchase you OWN the hardware out right, it's yours to do with as you please to a certain extent, HOWEVER, their software (THEIR) is licensed to them, created by them and marketed by them, to which, you as the end user only have the RIGHT to use. Not modify, not alter, not "hack", USE.

Sony makes that VERY clear.

In the case of Geohot, he MODIFIED, ALTERED, HACKED and then distributed that very "software".

It would be like my hacking Windows, publishing my findings and distributing it...You think Microsoft isn't going to be pissed off when i do this?

Your claim that he's missing the point, is basically saying that our intellectual rights and copyrights hold no bearing...That Sony's OS's aren't theirs even though you sign an agreement and that plagiarism is okay because, you get what you paid for...That's just completely off base.
Cept you haven't read anything I typed and just rehashed arguments against people with opinions like Codejunki's. At no point have I said it's ok to modify Sony's software and/or firmware. If you bothered to read what I've typed, you will see I've mentioned that Sony have made suggestions that you don't own your hardware to any extent - you only own the right to use it. That's what I disagree with.

But please, continue ranting about how anyone who doesn't agree with their aggressive legal actions is in support of firmware mods. I'm sure someone will listen to you. [insert bleeding heart]
SMITH
(14 items)
 
  
SMITH
(14 items)
 
  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Engadget] Sony Pictures hacked by Lulz Security