Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Can't get computer to connect to Internet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can't get computer to connect to Internet - Page 2

post #11 of 17
802.3u auto negotiations protocol can be hard to discover if you don't have a syslog, snmp, or device network device capable of monitoring duplex-mismatches. I'm still getting use to 1000 base T not having fail-open support for half duplex and just shutting the interface down. In the past 100base just defaulted to 10base and you could look at the port light. When an interface goes down and there is no connectivity and the OS is Microsoft **** gets complicated pretty quick.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Cisco Cisco Cisco Cisco 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee View Post
802.3u auto negotiations protocol can be hard to discover if you don't have a syslog, snmp, or device network device capable of monitoring duplex-mismatches. I'm still getting use to 1000 base T not having fail-open support for half duplex and just shutting the interface down. In the past 100base just defaulted to 10base and you could look at the port light. When an interface goes down and there is no connectivity and the OS is Microsoft **** gets complicated pretty quick.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 @ 2.3 GHz Foxconn Intel x3100 4.5 Rendition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160+500 DVDRW Server 08 x64 Princeton 17'' square 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Unicomp Germanic Model M 250W Dell Vostro 200 Gateway Ball Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 @ 2.3 GHz Foxconn Intel x3100 4.5 Rendition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160+500 DVDRW Server 08 x64 Princeton 17'' square 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Unicomp Germanic Model M 250W Dell Vostro 200 Gateway Ball Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratas View Post
OP glad you got it figured out and didn't pay attention to this garbage.
you call a winsock reset garbage?
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony View Post
you call a winsock reset garbage?
Every network issue that is posted you think the problem is related to the OS, why not read and understand what the hell is going on before just posting ****, it's alrdy know that if it is a OS issue 90% of the time a simple restart will resolve Microsoft problems.

I fully understand why others in the section have you perma blocked.
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratas View Post
Every network issue that is posted you think the problem is related to the OS, why not read and understand what the hell is going on before just posting ****, it's alrdy know that if it is a OS issue 90% of the time a simple restart will resolve Microsoft problems.

I fully understand why others in the section have you perma blocked.
He does the same thing in the audio forum - sees a post, barely reads it, googles the problem, and posts some nonsensical and often unrelated answer. Search some of his recommendations on google, often they're simply copy and pasted
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman23 View Post
He does the same thing in the audio forum - sees a post, barely reads it, googles the problem, and posts some nonsensical and often unrelated answer. Search some of his recommendations on google, often they're simply copy and pasted
let me guess, he is some Sony jack off freak that doesn't know the difference between quality to the hole in his ass?

I might have to swing by there, my Denon is starting to show it's age.
Edited by bratas - 6/8/11 at 1:06pm
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBuyJunk View Post
Was able to find out what the problem was. Apparently something happened to the all-in-one cable modem/router/wireless/switch device and it couldn't auto negotiate anymore with the network card in the desktop.

The network card in the desktop is an Intel gbit card and the other computers I was connecting to it with were only 10/100. What would happen is the computer would connect and work fine for a few minutes but then it would start trying to figure out what speed the network was at (10, 100, 1000), fail at discovereing that and then just drop completely.
I had this exact same problem, it turned out to be a bug in the intel network card drivers, you can try updating the drivers to see if its fixed, or force it to a specific speed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Can't get computer to connect to Internet