Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Google vs Apple App Markets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google vs Apple App Markets - Page 8  

post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
Maybe you're the one perpetuating the fight. You don't even have sufficient proof that a jailbroken iOS device has advantages to a rooted Android counterpart to make it a clear winner. And a word of advice: this is about the app stores of each platform, not the platforms themselves.
I think I do. I own an android phone and an ipad. The App Store for my ipad (not even including the apps for the iphone) is 500x better than the Android Marketplace for my phone. This is irrevolant because I've read your posts and I know you are a fanboy who avoids facts like the plague.
Wahoo!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @1v stable EVGA SLI3 X58 EVGA GTX 470 6GB working ram 6GB dead sticks :(  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x1TB F3 Raid 5, Intel SSD Lots of Noctua fans. Windows 7 Ultimate. 2x Dell U2410f Monitors  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco w/ cherry browns! Seasonic X-750 Lian-Li PC-B10 Original deathadder 
  hide details  
Wahoo!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @1v stable EVGA SLI3 X58 EVGA GTX 470 6GB working ram 6GB dead sticks :(  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x1TB F3 Raid 5, Intel SSD Lots of Noctua fans. Windows 7 Ultimate. 2x Dell U2410f Monitors  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco w/ cherry browns! Seasonic X-750 Lian-Li PC-B10 Original deathadder 
  hide details  
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMahiMahi View Post
I think I do. I own an android phone and an ipad. The App Store for my ipad (not even including the apps for the iphone) is 500x better than the Android Marketplace for my phone. This is irrevolant because I've read your posts and I know you are a fanboy who avoids facts like the plague.
Sooo let me get this straight: you're making an absolute statement based on your personal experience? No linked articles, no proven studies, not even a single quote from a source? Take note that not everyone thinks the same as you; some don't mind who has the most or the best apps, as long as they have what they need, no matter the platform. Funny to see your sig proclaiming you're "open-minded" but your posts reek of bias toward Apple.

And no, I don't avoid facts; in fact, I do agree that the App Store is still the leader in digital media and content distribution for mobile platforms. But I do reiterate that Google's Marketplace is not that far behind, and in fact is benefiting from its open development model. Are they comparable? Not yet. But is the gap getting closer? I believe so.
Edited by jjsoviet - 6/12/11 at 9:21pm
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
Sooo let me get this straight: you're making an absolute statement based on your personal experience?
Yes. That is what the op calls for. Why do I need an article telling me what I can see with my own eyes?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
some don't mind who has the most or the best apps, as long as they have what they need, no matter the platform.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
And no, I don't avoid facts; in fact, I do agree that the App Store is still the leader in digital media and content distribution for mobile platforms.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
But I do reiterate that Google's Marketplace is not that far behind, and in fact is benefiting from its open development model.
Not that far behind means behind Also, their development model is something I admire but I wish it was more like real linux distros models where they publish good applications and not crappy applications just to say they have more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
Are they comparable? Not yet. But is the gap getting closer? I believe so.
I said Apples is better. You just said the same thing. Why am I a fanboy when you said the same thing?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
Funny to see your sig proclaiming you're "open-minded" but your posts reek of bias toward Apple.
I believe this has been proven incorrect.

EDIT: I lived in Sugarland Texas when I was little. Small world eh?
Edited by MahiMahiMahi - 6/12/11 at 9:33pm
Wahoo!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @1v stable EVGA SLI3 X58 EVGA GTX 470 6GB working ram 6GB dead sticks :(  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x1TB F3 Raid 5, Intel SSD Lots of Noctua fans. Windows 7 Ultimate. 2x Dell U2410f Monitors  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco w/ cherry browns! Seasonic X-750 Lian-Li PC-B10 Original deathadder 
  hide details  
Wahoo!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @1v stable EVGA SLI3 X58 EVGA GTX 470 6GB working ram 6GB dead sticks :(  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x1TB F3 Raid 5, Intel SSD Lots of Noctua fans. Windows 7 Ultimate. 2x Dell U2410f Monitors  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco w/ cherry browns! Seasonic X-750 Lian-Li PC-B10 Original deathadder 
  hide details  
post #74 of 84
Completely ignoring the content of the stores, the Apple App Store is far better.
Revolution
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz ASRock P67 Extreme4 Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1xOWC 120GB SSD + 1xWD 1TB + 1x WD 640GB Windows 7 64bit HannsG HD281D Filco Linear Force 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-850 Corsair 600T Logitech G9 FiiO E9 + HiFiMan HE-300 
  hide details  
Revolution
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz ASRock P67 Extreme4 Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1xOWC 120GB SSD + 1xWD 1TB + 1x WD 640GB Windows 7 64bit HannsG HD281D Filco Linear Force 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-850 Corsair 600T Logitech G9 FiiO E9 + HiFiMan HE-300 
  hide details  
post #75 of 84
*Sigh* You're getting both of us in trouble. But, for the sake of clarity:

- I have admitted countless times that the Apple App Store is still the better digital content distribution service so far, both in app count and app quality. There are hordes of great apps exclusively made for Apple's iOS platform that might not even get to see the light of day on Android or any other platform, for varied reasons. I still admire Apple for keeping its ecosystem very tightly integrated and seamless. Very impressive feat considering the whole system has been holding up for years.

- BUT, that does not mean that Google's implementation is just merely playing second-fiddle to Apple. It also holds a multitude of quality apps which are unique to the Android ecosystem (such as themes, widgets, mods, ROMs) - and those are not just limited to being in the Marketplace as a substantial number are being distributed through other methods such as XDA, Amazon App Store and others. We cannot definitively have a total head count on all Android apps simply because you can find them popping everywhere.

- I have to admit that Google's rather lax app approval methodology is a main cause for the thousands of shovelware apps - but that is the price to pay for it to maintain a really "open" market system. And it's not even the company to be totally blamed for the bad apps - it's the developers themselves who thought it would be cool to publish half-baked services into the market. If anything, it's them who are tarnishing the quality of the Marketplace; most other indie devs have been really successful in their work - the guys behind ClockworkMod, JustReader, WidgetLocker are prime examples of quality developers who really take time and effort to make the Android experience incredible. I wish these other devs could do the same.

- Sure, in your experience the App Store works better for you. But does that mean it's the real *absolute* best on all fronts (take into consideration the functionality and variety of app functions), making all other competitors irrelevant? Are you saying that your opinion should be taken as fact, and not accounting other people's opinion - which what the OP clearly calls for?


Your rather... intelligent and original responses (a bunch of facepalms) are not helping this discussion propel forward towards productivity, or even healthy debate. If mods will close this thread, so be it. Might be the better way to go. At least I have delivered my thoughts on this one post anyway.
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
*Sigh* You're getting both of us in trouble. But, for the sake of clarity:

- I have admitted countless times that the Apple App Store is still the better digital content distribution service so far, both in app count and app quality. There are hordes of great apps exclusively made for Apple's iOS platform that might not even get to see the light of day on Android or any other platform, for varied reasons. I still admire Apple for keeping its ecosystem very tightly integrated and seamless. Very impressive feat considering the whole system has been holding up for years.

- BUT, that does not mean that Google's implementation is just merely playing second-fiddle to Apple. It also holds a multitude of quality apps which are unique to the Android ecosystem (such as themes, widgets, mods, ROMs) - and those are not just limited to being in the Marketplace as a substantial number are being distributed through other methods such as XDA, Amazon App Store and others. We cannot definitively have a total head count on all Android apps simply because you can find them popping everywhere.

- I have to admit that Google's rather lax app approval methodology is a main cause for the thousands of shovelware apps - but that is the price to pay for it to maintain a really "open" market system. And it's not even the company to be totally blamed for the bad apps - it's the developers themselves who thought it would be cool to publish half-baked services into the market. If anything, it's them who are tarnishing the quality of the Marketplace; most other indie devs have been really successful in their work - the guys behind ClockworkMod, JustReader, WidgetLocker are prime examples of quality developers who really take time and effort to make the Android experience incredible. I wish these other devs could do the same.

- Sure, in your experience the App Store works better for you. But does that mean it's the real *absolute* best on all fronts (take into consideration the functionality and variety of app functions), making all other competitors irrelevant? Are you saying that your opinion should be taken as fact, and not accounting other people's opinion - which what the OP clearly calls for?


Your rather... intelligent and original responses (a bunch of facepalms) are not helping this discussion propel forward towards productivity, or even healthy debate. If mods will close this thread, so be it. Might be the better way to go. At least I have delivered my thoughts on this one post anyway.
Facepalm is the only response I could come up with to some of those points. I still stick to my original post. This thread is simply flame bait. I don't consider roms, themes and mods apps. They are a flavor that compliments the Android operating system and android gets major props by having these. I tried to keep my post aimed towards the stores though and I just think that the App Store is better. YMMV and I respect that.
Wahoo!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @1v stable EVGA SLI3 X58 EVGA GTX 470 6GB working ram 6GB dead sticks :(  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x1TB F3 Raid 5, Intel SSD Lots of Noctua fans. Windows 7 Ultimate. 2x Dell U2410f Monitors  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco w/ cherry browns! Seasonic X-750 Lian-Li PC-B10 Original deathadder 
  hide details  
Wahoo!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3530 @1v stable EVGA SLI3 X58 EVGA GTX 470 6GB working ram 6GB dead sticks :(  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x1TB F3 Raid 5, Intel SSD Lots of Noctua fans. Windows 7 Ultimate. 2x Dell U2410f Monitors  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco w/ cherry browns! Seasonic X-750 Lian-Li PC-B10 Original deathadder 
  hide details  
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMahiMahi View Post
Facepalm is the only response I could come up with to some of those points. I still stick to my original post. This thread is simply flame bait. I don't consider roms, themes and mods apps. They are a flavor that compliments the Android operating system and android gets major props by having these. I tried to keep my post aimed towards the stores though and I just think that the App Store is better. YMMV and I respect that.
ClockworkMod, Titanium Backup, CyanogenMod Theme Chooser and Voodoo Sound mod are still listed as apps in the Market, the last time I checked. Essentially those are Android mods packaged as full apps in order to perform extended core functions of the platform. If you don't consider these apps, then maybe the likes of Infiniboard and SBSettings shouldn't be taken as apps either.

And please, I was hoping you could give me something to discuss about, and not just sticking to your idea and dismissing mine as mere facepalm-worthy comments. I'm not lambasting your ideas and yet you do the exact opposite. I do respect your posts and just want to clarify a lot of things; so far, you haven't explained your part of the story.

There's one thing I agree with you though, and that this thread is flamebait. Sweet, delicious flamebait.
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMahiMahi View Post
Facepalm is the only response I could come up with to some of those points. I still stick to my original post. This thread is simply flame bait. I don't consider roms, themes and mods apps. They are a flavor that compliments the Android operating system and android gets major props by having these. I tried to keep my post aimed towards the stores though and I just think that the App Store is better. YMMV and I respect that.
You proclaim that the Apple App Store is 500x better then Android market place, yet you say YMMV? That's like saying I know factually that 2+2=4 but YMMV. Aka your not sure.

First of, it's been mentioned already the Apple App Store still has a lead over the Android market, however that doesn't mean the lead is 500x. It's honestly closing, that much can be seen by many reviewers of phones. The common apps usually are already shared by android market place and apple app store, all that follows are niche items.

I choose an Iphone 4 as my phone because of the screen and sound quality, I never bothered to care for the "Apps", after all I don't want a highly optimized farting app. I want my critical apps for Text, chat, email, and others. I need a good screen to preview pics for work, screen through websites, and read articles/others. I need good sound quality because I don't want to carry an MP3 either.

Guess what? I don't have an Iphone 4 anymore, I found it rather dull and incomplete. Most of it's app's are repeats, under different developers. Most apps are also pretty much viral apps.

Now I just rock a Motorola Atrix, so far so good.
Sheep Prodigy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-960 4.3 ghz Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P AMD HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 2x4GB DDR3 1333 mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB DVD/DW +- RW/ Bluray W7 64 bit 21.5" e-IPS U2211H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex cheapie Antec TP-550W Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
google o.o 
  hide details  
Sheep Prodigy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-960 4.3 ghz Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P AMD HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 2x4GB DDR3 1333 mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB DVD/DW +- RW/ Bluray W7 64 bit 21.5" e-IPS U2211H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex cheapie Antec TP-550W Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
google o.o 
  hide details  
post #79 of 84
This is known as a straw man argument. And a very pathetic one. "highly optimized farting apps." on iphone, ignoring the nike and MS apps that don't seem to fart.

Every
niche seems to suck on android comparison to iOS, and suck badly.

Repeating myself...
  • MRI apps that are FDA approved
  • Flight Charts that are FAA approved
  • console quality FPS
  • racing sims
  • music
  • education
  • lsat prep
  • little league coaching
  • name any niche

Developers will develop for the platform where they can get the best return on their time and investment. Clearly, right now it's iOS.

Will it ever get better? I doubt it will for at least 3 years. Last quarter 80% of the money spent on apps was spent in the App Store. Last year it was 90%. Android is trailing nokia and blackberry, hah.

To buy the 3 most expensive iPad apps will cost you $3000.


http://www.phonearena.com/news/What-...d-apps_id19195

http://most-expensive.net/top-ten-iphone-apps Just for fun.

This is an indicator of the health of the market, and a jab at those who want to spew out "1000 fart apps!" You may not want a metallurgy program @ $1000 or ever, but it speaks to the health of the market. Honestly, would you put your high end app on Android? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsAnAtheist View Post
You proclaim that the Apple App Store is 500x better then Android market place, yet you say YMMV? That's like saying I know factually that 2+2=4 but YMMV. Aka your not sure.

First of, it's been mentioned already the Apple App Store still has a lead over the Android market, however that doesn't mean the lead is 500x. It's honestly closing, that much can be seen by many reviewers of phones. The common apps usually are already shared by android market place and apple app store, all that follows are niche items.

I choose an Iphone 4 as my phone because of the screen and sound quality, I never bothered to care for the "Apps", after all I don't want a highly optimized farting app. I want my critical apps for Text, chat, email, and others. I need a good screen to preview pics for work, screen through websites, and read articles/others. I need good sound quality because I don't want to carry an MP3 either.

Guess what? I don't have an Iphone 4 anymore, I found it rather dull and incomplete. Most of it's app's are repeats, under different developers. Most apps are also pretty much viral apps.

Now I just rock a Motorola Atrix, so far so good.
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz View Post
Honestly, would you put your high end app on Android? Really?
The real question is, why not? Why would developers not port over their apps on Android? It seems all they know are their products would have to end up being ad-supported, dirt-cheap or even free. This is not the case; if their apps are of quality and have been making great strides in the App Store, then people will buy them at the Market because they know what they are getting is quality stuff.
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5-4690K ASUS Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Blue Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 ASUS PB278Q Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 Corsair AX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Mionix Naos 3200 Corsair MM400 M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
AudioAudio
Schiit Bifrost Schiit Asgard 2 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Google vs Apple App Markets