Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building gaming rig.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building gaming rig.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
As the title says, I'm trying to build a gaming rig for the summer and I could use some advice.
My budget is about €1700 (If you're going to use newegg to suggest parts, don't suggest combo's etc and don't go over a budget of about $1800-1900)

This is my current shopping list:

Coolermaster CM 690 II advanced
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Intel i7 2600K
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
2x Gigabyte HD6870 1GB (windforce 3 cooler)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB as Storage
Intel 512 Series SSD 120GB as Boot
Seasonic X-760 powersupply
Windows 7 HP 64Bit
NZXT Sentry LE fan controller
Optiarc DVD Burner
Corsair H100 CPU cooler

I don't know if I forgot something, the site just crashed on me as I was making this thread.

Is all this compatible?
Should I make any changes?
post #2 of 7
looks pretty good tbh.
Roof Ski
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4ghz HT on 1v XFX X58I SLi 295's 12GB OCZ Obsidian 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ocz agility 3 + 4TB Drives Samsung DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate x64 2x Samsung 24"s + DELL E248WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G11 Sleeved corsair ax850 800D Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
Roof Ski
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @4ghz HT on 1v XFX X58I SLi 295's 12GB OCZ Obsidian 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ocz agility 3 + 4TB Drives Samsung DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate x64 2x Samsung 24"s + DELL E248WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G11 Sleeved corsair ax850 800D Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
If it's purely for gaming lose the 2600K and go for a 2500K. Games don't really benefit from HT, not on 4 cores anyway.

Are you going to use Quick Sync or SSD caching? I'd just got a P67 if they're cheaper where you are.

4GB is fine for gaming.

I've not had any experience with the Sentry LX or the LXE but I've heard the touchscreen is pretty bad.

A aftermarket cpu cooler would be an idea. The 212+ is highly recommended at a budget and mild overclock. I'd recommend some decent fans, Gentle Typhoon 1850RPMs are quite good.

With the above suggestions you'd be able to bump up the GPU to CF 6950 at least. What resolution are you gaming at? It may be better to get a single card and save yourself the multi GPU headaches.
Workhorse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC 8GB Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Samsung SH-S223 22x Windows 7 64bit BenQ G2420HDBL 
PowerCase
Corsair TX650 Antec Three Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
Workhorse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC 8GB Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Samsung SH-S223 22x Windows 7 64bit BenQ G2420HDBL 
PowerCase
Corsair TX650 Antec Three Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Do NOT get a touch screen fan controller. Everyone I have talked to has gone out including mine!
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Rampage IV Extreme GTX 480x4 Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M4 64GB +4TB Asus Blue Ray NH-d14 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 27inch LED G15 Coolermaster 1200w Gold Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G9x Dell XPS Sigma Sound Blaster 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Rampage IV Extreme GTX 480x4 Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M4 64GB +4TB Asus Blue Ray NH-d14 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 27inch LED G15 Coolermaster 1200w Gold Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G9x Dell XPS Sigma Sound Blaster 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorginator View Post
If it's purely for gaming lose the 2600K and go for a 2500K. Games don't really benefit from HT, not on 4 cores anyway.

Are you going to use Quick Sync or SSD caching? I'd just got a P67 if they're cheaper where you are.

4GB is fine for gaming.

I've not had any experience with the Sentry LX or the LXE but I've heard the touchscreen is pretty bad.

A aftermarket cpu cooler would be an idea. The 212+ is highly recommended at a budget and mild overclock. I'd recommend some decent fans, Gentle Typhoon 1850RPMs are quite good.

With the above suggestions you'd be able to bump up the GPU to CF 6950 at least. What resolution are you gaming at? It may be better to get a single card and save yourself the multi GPU headaches.
It's not purely for gaming, I do some editing, too. I'm not going for anything lower than 8GB & I'm not changing the i7.

I don't even know what QuickSync / SSD caching is, I went for a Z68 for the GPU, so when/if I ever get stuck without a gfx card, I can use the integrated one.

Any suggestions which fan controller to get?

'212+ recommened at a budget and mild overclock.'
It's not like I'm on a tight budget, €1700 is quite large, That would be $2.5k.. and what do you consider a 'mild' overclock?

Currently I'm playing on 1920x1080 but I'm getting a second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILavco View Post
Do NOT get a touch screen fan controller. Everyone I have talked to has gone out including mine!
Suggestions?
post #6 of 7
i think you should get a single card and forget crossfire, like a 6970 or a gtx 570 so in the future you have some room to upgrade. Some games don't like crossfire .
Humming Box
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 760 EVGA P55 Classified 200 MSI Twinfrozer GTX 980 12gb DDR3 GskillRipjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120gb +500x3 HDD 1 LG Super Multi windows 7 64 Ultimate LG W2361V 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair RC 850W Cooler Master ATCS 840 with window X7 
  hide details  
Reply
Humming Box
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 760 EVGA P55 Classified 200 MSI Twinfrozer GTX 980 12gb DDR3 GskillRipjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120gb +500x3 HDD 1 LG Super Multi windows 7 64 Ultimate LG W2361V 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair RC 850W Cooler Master ATCS 840 with window X7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
It's not purely for gaming, I do some editing, too. I'm not going for anything lower than 8GB & I'm not changing the i7.

I don't even know what QuickSync / SSD caching is, I went for a Z68 for the GPU, so when/if I ever get stuck without a gfx card, I can use the integrated one.

Any suggestions which fan controller to get?

'212+ recommened at a budget and mild overclock.'
It's not like I'm on a tight budget, €1700 is quite large, That would be $2.5k.. and what do you consider a 'mild' overclock?

Currently I'm playing on 1920x1080 but I'm getting a second one.



Suggestions?
4 - 4.5ghz would be a mild overclock, and pretty much any cooler apart from the standard intel one would be suffficient for that range.

I like the idea of your crossfire setup but i would also be torn against getting a faster single card now and then crossfiring them at a later date, to be on the edge of the latest tech
Chewy's Chomper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k Asis Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 16GB Corsair vengence DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung M2 256gb nvme Custom loop, 360+120 rads Windows 10 64bit Asus 28" MG28UQ 4K 
PowerCase
Seasonic X series 750w gold Corsair 400c 
  hide details  
Reply
Chewy's Chomper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k Asis Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 16GB Corsair vengence DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung M2 256gb nvme Custom loop, 360+120 rads Windows 10 64bit Asus 28" MG28UQ 4K 
PowerCase
Seasonic X series 750w gold Corsair 400c 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building gaming rig.