Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › can a caviar black and green hdd raid0?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

can a caviar black and green hdd raid0? - Page 2

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
well im getting both or should i not?
Well, if you can afford it, I'd go for the SSD as my boot drive, and do the F3s as storage. But that's just my opinion. Your money bro
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjc_93 View Post
I know it wasn't your question, but if I were you I would just completely avoid Raid0 if you're going to have an SSD. One drive in the array dies and you've lost everything. Just something to consider.

Also, if you're going to raid then I recommend you do it with 2 identical 7200rpm drives. A green drive has a variable RPM and dips to 5400rpm when it's not in demand and moves up to 7200rpm when it is, this causes a fair loss in performance, whereas black drives spin at 7200rpm all the time. 2 black drives would be the way I'd go.
does the cache matter?

and why shouldnt i have an ssd and 2 hard drives at raid 0 if i can afford it? is it just not worth it because the ssd will do this for me

and i did get the green for storage originally but i actually didnt know that it loses rpm when idle

if i were to buy another black would this be worth a raid0
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 25
Let's start over for a sec. What exactly are looking for? If you are just looking for a performance/speed boost in your read/write and access times, then go SSD all the way and keep your green as a storage drive. Just make sure you get a decent sized SSD, like 60GB at least.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
does the cache matter?

and why shouldnt i have an ssd and 2 hard drives at raid 0 if i can afford it? is it just not worth it because the ssd will do this for me

and i did get the green for storage originally but i actually didnt know that it loses rpm when idle

if i were to buy another black would this be worth a raid0
I was just saying that Raid0 can come with complications and no redunandancy at all. I advised against it as an SSD is already brilliant as a boot drive.

It's your money so do as you wish, all we do is offer our opinions and experiences on a certain method, and you can use that to make the final decision.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjc_93 View Post
I was just saying that Raid0 can come with complications and no redunandancy at all. I advised against it as an SSD is already brilliant as a boot drive.

It's your money so do as you wish, all we do is offer our opinions and experiences on a certain method, and you can use that to make the final decision.
Well said sir. I agree with this 100%.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjc_93 View Post
I know it wasn't your question, but if I were you I would just completely avoid Raid0 if you're going to have an SSD. One drive in the array dies and you've lost everything. Just something to consider.

Also, if you're going to raid then I recommend you do it with 2 identical 7200rpm drives. A green drive has a variable RPM and dips to 5400rpm when it's not in demand and moves up to 7200rpm when it is, this causes a fair loss in performance, whereas black drives spin at 7200rpm all the time. 2 black drives would be the way I'd go.
Uhh, no they don't. They spin at an steady 5400 or 5900 rpm (depending on which drive it is) when they are running. They do spin down when in power saving mode, but you can't read or write to them until they spin back up to their 5400 or 5900 operating speed.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Uhh, no they don't. They spin at an steady 5400 or 5900 rpm (depending on which drive it is) when they are running. They do spin down when in power saving mode, but you can't read or write to them until they spin back up to their 5400 or 5900 operating speed.
Ah, right. Thanks for the correction there. I assumed that a rpm spec of 5400rpm - 7200rpm meant that it's rate variably moved between the two.

Never-the-less, that makes the green drive an even worse option if the OP is still set on Raid0.
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
i just want faster game speeds

i was going to get the 120gb vertex 3 as a boot drive and a few games

and then i wanted fast hdd for whatever other games and things i couldnt fit

but if this doesnt matter then ok ill just stick with an ssd and a single caviar black drive and green for storage
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
i just want faster game speeds

i was going to get the 120gb vertex 3 as a boot drive and a few games

and then i wanted fast hdd for whatever other games and things i couldnt fit

but if this doesnt matter then ok ill just stick with an ssd and a single caviar black drive and green for storage
A 120GB drive is going to store a fair amount of stuff, I have 3 games, my OS and some other programs on my 60GB drive. Install your favourite or long loading games onto the SSD, and move them to the HDD when you've moved on and want to throw a new batch of games onto the SSD.

Because of low seek times, an SSD allows games to load far quicker than 2 drives in Raid0 can.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
i just want faster game speeds

i was going to get the 120gb vertex 3 as a boot drive and a few games

and then i wanted fast hdd for whatever other games and things i couldnt fit

but if this doesnt matter then ok ill just stick with an ssd and a single caviar black drive and green for storage
Neither of these (SSDs or RAID0) are going to give you "faster game speeds" if by "faster game speeds" you mean higher frame rates. You're only going to see an decrease in load times, i.e. loading new levels will happen quicker and loading the game up will happen quicker.

My advice: Buy an SSD, and a single large storage drive (like a Spinpoint F3). If you're going to dump 1-200 dollars into 2 hard drives, you may as well just add that to your SSD money and buy a larger SSD.

A 120gb SSD is quite large. You'll be able to fit Windows + necessary apps and 4-8 games on there no problem (depending on the size of the games in question.)
Edited by pursuinginsanity - 6/3/11 at 6:43pm
Why upgrade?
(14 items)
 
Why overclock?!
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 760 ASUS 55i Sabertooth EVGA 960 4GB 8gb 1600mhz Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120gb Intel 320 (OS) 500gb Samsung 850 Evo Win 7 64 Viewsonic VX2250-Wm 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G 550w Gold Lancool PC-K9B Logitech G5 X-Fi Titanium/AT-H700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690k Asus Z97 Sabertooth mk2 EVGA 970 8gb Kingston 1833mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
128GB Samsung 830 500GB Samsung 840 Evo allota fans but quiet! Win 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Rev. A01 Mechanical w/ Cherry Blues NZXT Hale 650w NZXT Phantom - white 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Anker CG100 Steelseries 9HD Sennheiser HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
Why upgrade?
(14 items)
 
Why overclock?!
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 760 ASUS 55i Sabertooth EVGA 960 4GB 8gb 1600mhz Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120gb Intel 320 (OS) 500gb Samsung 850 Evo Win 7 64 Viewsonic VX2250-Wm 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G 550w Gold Lancool PC-K9B Logitech G5 X-Fi Titanium/AT-H700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690k Asus Z97 Sabertooth mk2 EVGA 970 8gb Kingston 1833mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
128GB Samsung 830 500GB Samsung 840 Evo allota fans but quiet! Win 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Rev. A01 Mechanical w/ Cherry Blues NZXT Hale 650w NZXT Phantom - white 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Anker CG100 Steelseries 9HD Sennheiser HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › can a caviar black and green hdd raid0?