what are the exact prerequisites for raid 0

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eosgreen
View Post

both have 32mb cache both 500gb both 7200 rpm blah blah

can they raid0?

what are the exact prerequisites for raid 0

There are no complicated rules, really. You could raid0 a 250gb drive and a 3tb drive if you wanted, but you'd only have a 500gb array and the performance would be pretty poor.

Short answer, yes, but the slower drive will be the weak link in the array.

#4 ·
Sort of, but not very well. The WD green drives are hard coded to go into power saving mode when not in use so more than likely it would drop out of the array rendering it useless. My advice is to get a pair of Raid Drives or just use then as single drives. You will NOT be happy with the results of running them as a raid array of any sort.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

Sort of, but not very well. The WD green drives are hard coded to go into power saving mode when not in use so more than likely it would drop out of the array rendering it useless. My advice is to get a pair of Raid Drives or just use then as single drives. You will NOT be happy with the results of running them as a raid array of any sort.

ok im buying a vertex 3 ssd

and i want to get good hdd for raid0

whats your recommendation i dont need massive storage but i hear 1tb drives are good on high settings because you lose storage efficiency the higher the settings

#6 ·
Quote:

View Post

whats your recommendation i dont need massive storage but i hear 1tb drives are good on high settings because you lose storage efficiency the higher the settings

If you must have a r0 array, 2x500gb/1tb samsung F3s will give you awesome sequential r/w speeds (faster than an ssd in some cases).

#10 ·
Quote:

View Post

I know it wasn't your question, but if I were you I would just completely avoid Raid0 if you're going to have an SSD. One drive in the array dies and you've lost everything. Just something to consider.

Also, if you're going to raid then I recommend you do it with 2 identical 7200rpm drives. A green drive has a variable RPM and dips to 5400rpm when it's not in demand and moves up to 7200rpm when it is, this causes a fair loss in performance, whereas black drives spin at 7200rpm all the time. 2 black drives would be the way I'd go.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjc_93
View Post

I know it wasn't your question, but if I were you I would just completely avoid Raid0 if you're going to have an SSD. One drive in the array dies and you've lost everything. Just something to consider.

Also, if you're going to raid then I recommend you do it with 2 identical 7200rpm drives. A green drive has a variable RPM and dips to 5400rpm when it's not in demand and moves up to 7200rpm when it is, this causes a fair loss in performance, whereas black drives spin at 7200rpm all the time. 2 black drives would be the way I'd go.

does the cache matter?

and why shouldnt i have an ssd and 2 hard drives at raid 0 if i can afford it? is it just not worth it because the ssd will do this for me

and i did get the green for storage originally but i actually didnt know that it loses rpm when idle

if i were to buy another black would this be worth a raid0

#14 ·
Quote:

View Post

does the cache matter?

and why shouldnt i have an ssd and 2 hard drives at raid 0 if i can afford it? is it just not worth it because the ssd will do this for me

and i did get the green for storage originally but i actually didnt know that it loses rpm when idle

if i were to buy another black would this be worth a raid0

I was just saying that Raid0 can come with complications and no redunandancy at all. I advised against it as an SSD is already brilliant as a boot drive.

It's your money so do as you wish, all we do is offer our opinions and experiences on a certain method, and you can use that to make the final decision.

#15 ·
Quote:

View Post

I was just saying that Raid0 can come with complications and no redunandancy at all. I advised against it as an SSD is already brilliant as a boot drive.

It's your money so do as you wish, all we do is offer our opinions and experiences on a certain method, and you can use that to make the final decision.

Well said sir. I agree with this 100%.

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

Uhh, no they don't. They spin at an steady 5400 or 5900 rpm (depending on which drive it is) when they are running. They do spin down when in power saving mode, but you can't read or write to them until they spin back up to their 5400 or 5900 operating speed.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;13743668
Uhh, no they don't. They spin at an steady 5400 or 5900 rpm (depending on which drive it is) when they are running. They do spin down when in power saving mode, but you can't read or write to them until they spin back up to their 5400 or 5900 operating speed.
Ah, right. Thanks for the correction there. I assumed that a rpm spec of 5400rpm - 7200rpm meant that it's rate variably moved between the two.

Never-the-less, that makes the green drive an even worse option if the OP is still set on Raid0.

#18 ·
i just want faster game speeds

i was going to get the 120gb vertex 3 as a boot drive and a few games

and then i wanted fast hdd for whatever other games and things i couldnt fit

but if this doesnt matter then ok ill just stick with an ssd and a single caviar black drive and green for storage

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen;13743793

but if this doesnt matter then ok ill just stick with an ssd and a single caviar black drive and green for storage
A 120GB drive is going to store a fair amount of stuff, I have 3 games, my OS and some other programs on my 60GB drive. Install your favourite or long loading games onto the SSD, and move them to the HDD when you've moved on and want to throw a new batch of games onto the SSD.

Because of low seek times, an SSD allows games to load far quicker than 2 drives in Raid0 can.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen;13743793

Neither of these (SSDs or RAID0) are going to give you "faster game speeds" if by "faster game speeds" you mean higher frame rates. You're only going to see an decrease in load times, i.e. loading new levels will happen quicker and loading the game up will happen quicker.

My advice: Buy an SSD, and a single large storage drive (like a Spinpoint F3). If you're going to dump 1-200 dollars into 2 hard drives, you may as well just add that to your SSD money and buy a larger SSD.

A 120gb SSD is quite large. You'll be able to fit Windows + necessary apps and 4-8 games on there no problem (depending on the size of the games in question.)

• Rep+
Reactions: eosgreen
#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjc_93;13743872
A 120GB drive is going to store a fair amount of stuff, I have 3 games, my OS and some other programs on my 60GB drive. Install your favourite or long loading games onto the SSD, and move them to the HDD when you've moved on and want to throw a new batch of games onto the SSD.

Because of low seek times, an SSD allows games to load far quicker than 2 drives in Raid0 can.
YAY my answer in terms my lamen comp mind can comprehend tyvm sir

but i knew it was only faster load speeds

thats what i cared about, load speeds

i plus rep'd ya

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity;13743886
Neither of these (SSDs or RAID0) are going to give you "faster game speeds" if by "faster game speeds" you mean higher frame rates. You're only going to see an increase DECREASE in load times, i.e. loading new levels will happen quicker and loading the game up will happen quicker.

My advice: Buy an SSD, and a single large storage drive (like a Spinpoint F3). If you're going to dump 1-200 dollars into 2 hard drives, you may as well just add that to your SSD money and buy a larger SSD. A 120gb SSD is quite large. You'll be able to fit Windows + necessary apps and 4-8 games on there no problem (depending on the size of the games in question.)
I think you meant DECREASE in load times, not increase.

And I completely agree with you about a bigger SSD.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen;13743896
YAY my answer in terms my lamen comp mind can comprehend tyvm sir

but i knew it was only faster load speeds

thats what i cared about, load speeds

i plus rep'd ya
Faster load times are great for games with lots of loading screens (most RPGs, like Dragon Age:Origins or WoW will benefit a lot from faster loads) but not for most multiplayer shooter/RTS games. You may load faster, but you have to wait on the other players to load anyway, so any benefit there is negated.

Smurf: Yes, I meant "decrease." Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.