Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Trying to decide between 6990 or just another 6970
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying to decide between 6990 or just another 6970

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am not sure CF 6970's will get me the performance I want for eyefinity. I want to be able to run games at their highest or close to it and maintain solid playable FPS. Games like COD are no issues, but Crysis and Just cause etc, are an issue in eyefinity. With my mobo I can only run 2 cards, and I think it splits the bandwidth to 8x with 2 cards. I may change my mobo coming up soon to allow 3 cards but will need to get one that will run 3 at atleast 8x each. So what would you do? Spend the insane cash for a 6990 or save a bunch and run CF'd 6970's?
post #2 of 10
if you got the 6990 with your current 6970 you would have a tri-fire setup which would cover everything for a long time to come i would think but then again another 6970 would work well too
easyfps
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1100T @4.3 3120cpu/nb 24/7 ASRock 890FX DELUXE5 2 X Powercolor HD6950 2g @1000/1425 Ripjaw 6-9-6-1T @ 1920 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex2 SSD WDC WD500 XSPC 750 RS360  Heatkiller GPU-X3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Acer 23 backlit led Antec 750w Rosewill ARMOR 
  hide details  
Reply
easyfps
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1100T @4.3 3120cpu/nb 24/7 ASRock 890FX DELUXE5 2 X Powercolor HD6950 2g @1000/1425 Ripjaw 6-9-6-1T @ 1920 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex2 SSD WDC WD500 XSPC 750 RS360  Heatkiller GPU-X3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Acer 23 backlit led Antec 750w Rosewill ARMOR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
go with another 6970 and get a proper custom water loop to cool your cpu and xfire gpus
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermad View Post
go with another 6970 and get a proper custom water loop to cool your cpu and xfire gpus
I was thinking of getting another one today and thought that if I did that I would have no where left to go since resale of these cards are not great it seems. I was going to swap mobos for a 3 slot one so I could just get one more 6970 for now then add a third later but after rethinking I saw that I would end spending more doing that then just getting a 6990 and keeping my mobo.

I am just going to wait until the 6990 are back in stock and grab one and be done with it.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
I was thinking of getting another one today and thought that if I did that I would have no where left to go since resale of these cards are not great it seems. I was going to swap mobos for a 3 slot one so I could just get one more 6970 for now then add a third later but after rethinking I saw that I would end spending more doing that then just getting a 6990 and keeping my mobo.

I am just going to wait until the 6990 are back in stock and grab one and be done with it.
I got my one 6970 for 300 and my other for 280, cards are great. Just get another 6970, two will play all games on max at your res.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
I get great frames in Crysis 1 and Just Cause 2 maxed. With Crysis 1 I don't max out the AA though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k @4.7ghz (from silicon lottery) Asus Maximus VIII Impact MSI GTX1080 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32gb @3200mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Swiftech Apogee XL2 Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Predator Z35 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Multicam TKL Silverstone SFX-L 700w Lian-li PC-Q37 Logitech G303 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X7 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k @4.7ghz (from silicon lottery) Asus Maximus VIII Impact MSI GTX1080 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32gb @3200mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Swiftech Apogee XL2 Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Predator Z35 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Multicam TKL Silverstone SFX-L 700w Lian-li PC-Q37 Logitech G303 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
You really think another 6970 will increase FPS in crysis or JC2 to over 50 fps at 5960x1080? I am not so sure, not at max settings and 4x AA. I have seen many people say they only got a 10-15 fps kick with CF'd 6970 in eyefinity. SO that would put me at 40-45 fps with not even max settings in JC2 and Crysis and no AA as I am running them now in order to get playable frames.

I was watching NCIX review on youtube in their AMD 1100T machine at stock clocks and with 2 6970's in eyefinity he got about 15 fps over just one card in BC2 maxed. It was just barely playable.

I dont know I am not too sure since my system seems to under perform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
I got my one 6970 for 300 and my other for 280, cards are great. Just get another 6970, two will play all games on max at your res.
post #8 of 10
get the 6990 and forget about it....you could always add another 6990 later and if that doesn't get the job done nothing will lol
easyfps
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1100T @4.3 3120cpu/nb 24/7 ASRock 890FX DELUXE5 2 X Powercolor HD6950 2g @1000/1425 Ripjaw 6-9-6-1T @ 1920 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex2 SSD WDC WD500 XSPC 750 RS360  Heatkiller GPU-X3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Acer 23 backlit led Antec 750w Rosewill ARMOR 
  hide details  
Reply
easyfps
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1100T @4.3 3120cpu/nb 24/7 ASRock 890FX DELUXE5 2 X Powercolor HD6950 2g @1000/1425 Ripjaw 6-9-6-1T @ 1920 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex2 SSD WDC WD500 XSPC 750 RS360  Heatkiller GPU-X3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Acer 23 backlit led Antec 750w Rosewill ARMOR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
I know this was tested on 5870's and 8x/8x was like a 2-3% performance drop as for 6970's I couldn't imagine it being much higher.
Aggrotech
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Gigabyte x370 Gaming-k7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB (2x8gb)Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600mhzC16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue 240gb Kingston SSDnow V300 x2 420mm Custom EK Loop Windows 10 64bit Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Samsung TV + 23" Dell pro series Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 Bequiet Dark base 900 pro 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G602 Dell XPS Sennheiser GAME ZER0 
  hide details  
Reply
Aggrotech
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Gigabyte x370 Gaming-k7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB (2x8gb)Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600mhzC16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB WD Blue 240gb Kingston SSDnow V300 x2 420mm Custom EK Loop Windows 10 64bit Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Samsung TV + 23" Dell pro series Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 Bequiet Dark base 900 pro 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G602 Dell XPS Sennheiser GAME ZER0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neokolzia View Post
I know this was tested on 5870's and 8x/8x was like a 2-3% performance drop as for 6970's I couldn't imagine it being much higher.
Only at super high res is it 3%. His res it's 4% from reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgearfan View Post
You really think another 6970 will increase FPS in crysis or JC2 to over 50 fps at 5960x1080? I am not so sure, not at max settings and 4x AA. I have seen many people say they only got a 10-15 fps kick with CF'd 6970 in eyefinity. SO that would put me at 40-45 fps with not even max settings in JC2 and Crysis and no AA as I am running them now in order to get playable frames.

I was watching NCIX review on youtube in their AMD 1100T machine at stock clocks and with 2 6970's in eyefinity he got about 15 fps over just one card in BC2 maxed. It was just barely playable.

I dont know I am not too sure since my system seems to under perform
With CF 6970s you will max out BC2 at that res with 60FPS.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Trying to decide between 6990 or just another 6970