Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS sabertooth AMD Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS sabertooth AMD Owners Club - Page 950

Poll Results: whats your choice for 990fx

Poll expired: Jul 11, 2011  
  • 0% (1)
    Asus M5A97evo
  • 0% (1)
    Asus M5A99Xevo
  • 49% (58)
    Asus Sabertooth 990fx
  • 31% (37)
    Asus Crosshair V Formula / Thunderbolt
  • 0% (1)
    Biostar TA-990FXE
  • 12% (15)
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
  • 4% (5)
    MSI 990FXA-GD80
118 Total Votes  
post #9491 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post

Ok, I Have the R3.0 and want to know what I need to do to up past 4.3Ghz on this machine. Keep in mind I only have the Wraith cooler atm.

I want to see if I can get a bit more from it without to much heat.

Max Safe in Celsius for this 8370 is?

I need just simple straight forward Bios instructions please. I think the R2.0's bios differs from the R3.0 I just don't want to spend all this time wondering if this is the right one to tweak.

Some of the Videos i watch just over complicate it and get off topic. So let me know if you can help.

Thx.. thumb.gif

Oh and can anyone tell me a way to switch my old build with the new one below, plz..

congratulations with your board, i have the same and i love it and so do you i hope.

For starters disable all power saving features like, QNQ, C6, pretty much everything under the tab advanced CPU configuration.

There is no fast way of overclocking to be honest. You just upper voltage until you hit temp wall. Just make sure you don't get higher temps than 62c for long periods of time and you are good to go. I personally can get my chip up to 74c according to AMD overdrive but i am not that confident to let it run that hot so i just stop at 62c max.

I have provided some screen shots of my BIOS a few pages back, maybe you can do your advantage with it and set your own frequencies. Good luck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

1 don't watch videos. They are full of idiots

2 same as usual

More volts.

As every reputable guide states.
Add 0.1v to both cpu/nb and nb and follow the oc guide on ocn for fx cpus

That's quite a bold statement to be honest... you are actually saying that ALL people that make video's about guides are idiots...? I actually learned a lot from watching those "idiots" to be honest..

For example, i learned A LOT from Britec computers, Singularity computers etc. etc.
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9492 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sli_shroom View Post

got it sitting on the bench...just need to find time to finish the build

Go make some time dude, can't wait to hear your findings on this board thumb.gif
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9493 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

congratulations with your board, i have the same and i love it and so do you i hope.

For starters disable all power saving features like, QNQ, C6, pretty much everything under the tab advanced CPU configuration.

There is no fast way of overclocking to be honest. You just upper voltage until you hit temp wall. Just make sure you don't get higher temps than 62c for long periods of time and you are good to go. I personally can get my chip up to 74c according to AMD overdrive but i am not that confident to let it run that hot so i just stop at 62c max.

I have provided some screen shots of my BIOS a few pages back, maybe you can do your advantage with it and set your own frequencies. Good luck.
That's quite a bold statement to be honest... you are actually saying that ALL people that make video's about guides are idiots...? I actually learned a lot from watching those "idiots" to be honest..

For example, i learned A LOT from Britec computers, Singularity computers etc. etc.

Hey thanks. I think you spot on with the post. I just don't care to dole into videos that you can't either hear or dialect you can't make out , yammering about irrelevant things, or just can't see because they are blurred and so forth, you know the type.. It is like watching these kids demo a amp, and they can't even get the guitar in tune..wth.gif

Sure you can learn a lot from some videos, but right now this mobo is still new and not to many post/vids out there. Until I know I can do a setting that works solid I won't post to others about it. LOL..

I will look into the posts.
Thanks Hurricane
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9494 of 10135
I wonder if my old Asetek 120 would be a better cooler for this 8370 for now? I am really wondering if Air may be a better choice now over a radiator unit. I just dislike the fan to rad fan to exhaust.. Rad tends to cake up dust fast.

The Asetek I would have to dig up the mount bracket for it as well, if I could find it.
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9495 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post

Hey thanks. I think you spot on with the post. I just don't care to dole into videos that you can't either hear or dialect you can't make out , yammering about irrelevant things, or just can't see because they are blurred and so forth, you know the type.. It is like watching these kids demo a amp, and they can't even get the guitar in tune..wth.gif

Sure you can learn a lot from some videos, but right now this mobo is still new and not to many post/vids out there. Until I know I can do a setting that works solid I won't post to others about it. LOL..

I will look into the posts.
Thanks Hurricane

NP man.

I understand what you are saying. I like to use video's because you can actually see what the guy is doing as an example, i had Windows corruption, i went to windows 10 forum and people are telling different things.. it took me a while to even understand them and even then it was utterly useless..

Than when i went on YouTube i came across the account of Britec09. This man knows A LOT about Windows 10 and explains how you can easily repair Windows and you can actually see what he is doing so you know its working instead of reading posts which you have no clue IF it works etc. Its also faster as you can skip to the part you didn't understand. Its way faster than just reading on the net IMO.
Don't forget, the most important thing is WHERE you get your information though. If you go to Microsoft forum you are assured of lots of headache and explanations, fixes that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I tried this many times with no luck at all. I went to YouTube and simply typed what i was looking for and BAM there it was and now i can repair any Windows corruption etc. without the hassle of having to reinstall Windows again.

If you are interested, here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_M-iWYpQbgo4rK1YfewI5w He saved my ass several times when i had malware, corruption or any other error. I just hate to reinstall Windows as its a pain to setup right for speed and there is a lot of bloatware installed which i don't like or use.

Good luck man and if you have any questions, plz ask thumb.gif
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9496 of 10135
Thing is, FX's love water, but you can do well with a big heatsink and a 120mm fan on it since it will solve the problems of water cooling, like VRM and NB temps. And yeah, probably everything is better than the wraith cooler. I wouldn't go past 1.45V or 4.3GHz on it. You might get lucky, just watch your temps.

EDIT:

A question for you guys, how much voltage do you need for 4.7GHz and what LLC do you use on your chips? I know it's lottery but I'm trying to get a pattern what's "too much" and "enough".
Stryker
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 Gigabyte DS3P GTX970 G1 HyperX Fury 1866MHz 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB Drive 850 Evo 250GB Kingston V300 120GB Wdrive DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Nepton 240M Windows 8.1 LG 22EA53 Logitech G105 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake SE 630W Cooler Master Storm Stryker CM Sentinel Advance 2 Cooler Master ControlRX 
Audio
XWave 5.1 100W 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 Gigabyte DS3P GTX970 G1 HyperX Fury 1866MHz 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1TB Drive 850 Evo 250GB Kingston V300 120GB Wdrive DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Nepton 240M Windows 8.1 LG 22EA53 Logitech G105 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake SE 630W Cooler Master Storm Stryker CM Sentinel Advance 2 Cooler Master ControlRX 
Audio
XWave 5.1 100W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9497 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post

I wonder if my old Asetek 120 would be a better cooler for this 8370 for now? I am really wondering if Air may be a better choice now over a radiator unit. I just dislike the fan to rad fan to exhaust.. Rad tends to cake up dust fast.

The Asetek I would have to dig up the mount bracket for it as well, if I could find it.

I think it will be better yes. I personally have no experience with the wraith cooler but liquid is mostly better than air. Of course big air coolers can perform similar than 240mm AIO's but since you use the stock cooler compared to 120mm AIO i think it will be better.
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9498 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

NP man.

I understand what you are saying. I like to use video's because you can actually see what the guy is doing as an example, i had Windows corruption, i went to windows 10 forum and people are telling different things.. it took me a while to even understand them and even then it was utterly useless..

Than when i went on YouTube i came across the account of Britec09. This man knows A LOT about Windows 10 and explains how you can easily repair Windows and you can actually see what he is doing so you know its working instead of reading posts which you have no clue IF it works etc. Its also faster as you can skip to the part you didn't understand. Its way faster than just reading on the net IMO.
Don't forget, the most important thing is WHERE you get your information though. If you go to Microsoft forum you are assured of lots of headache and explanations, fixes that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I tried this many times with no luck at all. I went to YouTube and simply typed what i was looking for and BAM there it was and now i can repair any Windows corruption etc. without the hassle of having to reinstall Windows again.

If you are interested, here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_M-iWYpQbgo4rK1YfewI5w He saved my ass several times when i had malware, corruption or any other error. I just hate to reinstall Windows as its a pain to setup right for speed and there is a lot of bloatware installed which i don't like or use.

Good luck man and if you have any questions, plz ask thumb.gif

Exactly my point, A LOT of headache re hashing Same ole. I got that bookmarked
Thx.
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
SkunkWorkZ
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz (4.5GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ D... ASUS TUF Sabertooth 990FX r3.0 MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Gskill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 1866 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung-850-EVO-M.2 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Mushkin ECO 3 Lepa 240 Aqua 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Home Acer 144HZ 1ms Corsair RGB Strafe, MX Silent SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Phantek Ethroo Pro White Logitech G500 X-FI Titanium Logitech X530 5.1 
Other
Deep Cool 360RGB Lights 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9499 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashcz View Post

Thing is, FX's love water, but you can do well with a big heatsink and a 120mm fan on it since it will solve the problems of water cooling, like VRM and NB temps. And yeah, probably everything is better than the wraith cooler. I wouldn't go past 1.45V or 4.3GHz on it. You might get lucky, just watch your temps.

EDIT:

A question for you guys, how much voltage do you need for 4.7GHz and what LLC do you use on your chips? I know it's lottery but I'm trying to get a pattern what's "too much" and "enough".

I set 1.488v in BIOS at high LLC, this results in 1.500vcore in Windows at load and 1.476vcore at minimum.
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9500 of 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashcz View Post

Thing is, FX's love water, but you can do well with a big heatsink and a 120mm fan on it since it will solve the problems of water cooling, like VRM and NB temps. And yeah, probably everything is better than the wraith cooler. I wouldn't go past 1.45V or 4.3GHz on it. You might get lucky, just watch your temps.

EDIT:

A question for you guys, how much voltage do you need for 4.7GHz and what LLC do you use on your chips? I know it's lottery but I'm trying to get a pattern what's "too much" and "enough".

dont use 4.7ghz i use 4.8 heres a ss of temps and volts



hope it helps
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS sabertooth AMD Owners Club