Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Best way to make Orange LED's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best way to make Orange LED's?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

So im looking to get then XSPC RS240 CPU kit for my 2500k and i have a black and orange theme happening atm...

So my choices for LED's to fit into the back of the reservoir are these RED ones or these WHITE ones, as orange isn't a very popular colour... Go figure rolleyes.gif

So, my choices are, do i go with the RED or WHITE LED's and use say orange cellofane/contact to get my desired orange effect?

What would work the best for my desired outcome?

Any alternatives all together would be greatly appreciated, keep in mind that i am in Australia, so shipping will be an issue.
I also need UV-orange/normal orange tubing (approx 2m's) and UV Cathodes (approx 20cm's), so if you are to quote from an International site, please include these in the Cart...

All help greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ishi
post #2 of 13
Orange LEDs dead cheap: smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-5mm-2-Pin-Round-Orange-LED-Light-Emitting-Diode-Lamp-/170640738681?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item27bafb0979

I've used these Hong Kong companies before, they take about a week or so to ship but the value is unbeatable. Seems they appear on Australian Ebay too wink.gif
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
You could try these...

attachment.php?attachmentid=214060&stc=1&d=1307406482


http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_111&products_id=16005

Its not exactly what your after but you could remove some LEDs, you would have enough orange LEDs to sink a battleship smile.gif

Hey Killhouse! long time man... trust you are well cheers.gif
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killhouse;13777237 
Orange LEDs dead cheap: smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-5mm-2-Pin-Round-Orange-LED-Light-Emitting-Diode-Lamp-/170640738681?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item27bafb0979

I've used these Hong Kong companies before, they take about a week or so to ship but the value is unbeatable. Seems they appear on Australian Ebay too wink.gif

SEX!

You Sir, are a legend!

If im not mistaken that is 50x 5m LED's?

... 50?...

Cheers

Ishi
post #5 of 13
Check you Forward Voltage, you may need a bigger/different one going from white to orange. I am glad you found some locally, lens covers over white led lights never work out as good as one would hope.
BullDriver
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz Asus 990FX Sabertooth MSI N465GTX 8gb Gskill Sniper 1600/9.9.9.25 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb Crucial SSD(os) +1tb Baracuda SataIII Asus OEM SATA DVD RW x64 Windows 7 Home Premium 25" Hanns G 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Flatty Tethered RocketFish 550w Modular Corsair 600t Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
BullDriver
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz Asus 990FX Sabertooth MSI N465GTX 8gb Gskill Sniper 1600/9.9.9.25 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb Crucial SSD(os) +1tb Baracuda SataIII Asus OEM SATA DVD RW x64 Windows 7 Home Premium 25" Hanns G 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Flatty Tethered RocketFish 550w Modular Corsair 600t Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666;13777369 
Hey Killhouse! long time man... trust you are well cheers.gif

drum.gif All good, I might have a job this summer so I can get back into modding. Not sure though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishinomori;13777505 
SEX!

You Sir, are a legend!

If im not mistaken that is 50x 5m LED's?

... 50?...

Cheers

Ishi

I do try biggrin.gif

That is indeed 50x 5mm Orange LED... Now go make your water look like Orange Juice wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cook;13777567 
Check you Forward Voltage, you may need a bigger/different one going from white to orange. I am glad you found some locally, lens covers over white led lights never work out as good as one would hope.

The Ebay man posted all the specs including the important ones: forward voltage and forward current. Pop a good-sized resistor in each loop and you'll be good to go.

Heres a good LED Resistor Calculator for single LEDs, series, and parallel.
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killhouse;13777922 
drum.gif All good, I might have a job this summer so I can get back into modding. Not sure though!



I do try biggrin.gif

That is indeed 50x 5mm Orange LED... Now go make your water look like Orange Juice wink.gif


The Ebay man posted all the specs including the important ones: forward voltage and forward current. Pop a good-sized resistor in each loop and you'll be good to go.

Heres a good LED Resistor Calculator for single LEDs, series, and parallel.

Will do...

I've never really done eletrical work before, would you happen to know of any guides i could read up on making the LEDs work, or advice?

Having 50 i should be right if i blow a few wink.gif
post #8 of 13
It's as easy as the resistor calculator makes it!

You need a resistor in the circuit to reduce the current around the circuit so that you dont blow the LEDs, if you're putting LEDs in series then each one will create a voltage drop equal to their forward voltage. Meaning that if the forward voltage is 3.4V you could only put 3 in series (making 10.2V), the resistor would provide the other 1.8V drop and limit the current to the forward current of the LEDs. Using the relation: voltage = resistance x current.

Parallel circuits have a similar relationship except the current through the resistor is higher, because the current splits up to each LED. You're better off wiring the LEDs in parallel because then if one LED blow's out, the others will still work. In series they would all stop working if one blew.

So you'd just wire it up something like this, putting in as many LEDs as you need. Fiddle around with numbers and it will tell you exactly what kind of resistor you'll need. They should be commonly available.
single_res_many_leds.gif

I'll get back to you tomorrow if you're struggling, the Australia-UK time-change isnt very constructive wink.gif
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killhouse;13778467 
It's as easy as the resistor calculator makes it!

You need a resistor in the circuit to reduce the current around the circuit so that you dont blow the LEDs, if you're putting LEDs in series then each one will create a voltage drop equal to their forward voltage. Meaning that if the forward voltage is 3.4V you could only put 3 in series (making 10.2V), the resistor would provide the other 1.8V drop and limit the current to the forward current of the LEDs. Using the relation: voltage = resistance x current.

Parallel circuits have a similar relationship except the current through the resistor is higher, because the current splits up to each LED. You're better off wiring the LEDs in parallel because then if one LED blow's out, the others will still work. In series they would all stop working if one blew.

So you'd just wire it up something like this, putting in as many LEDs as you need. Fiddle around with numbers and it will tell you exactly what kind of resistor you'll need. They should be commonly available.
single_res_many_leds.gif

I'll get back to you tomorrow if you're struggling, the Australia-UK time-change isnt very constructive wink.gif

Thanx mate, muchly appreciated!

I'm on all hours lately, finishing work at 2:30am these days! lol (its midday now, and i haven't slept yet!)

I'll definately read up on it.

As far as i'm aware, i'll need 2 in parallel for the XSPC 5.25" Dual bay reservoir, how would i go about powering them? Wiring them into a molex? How would i go about doing that?

Im sorry for all the questions, really noob at this! tongue.gif
post #10 of 13
My gateway case my media system is built in has a bicolour orange(deep orange) and green LED. origionally when it was a legitimate gateway computer, green was power. NOW its reversed so the deep orange means power on. The orange origionally was for sleep/standby
Ethylene Glycol
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E7300 DFI LanParty DK X38 series Nvidia GTX 260 4gb of Mushkin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Maxtor 250GB SATA Lite-on DVD rom drive (soon to be upgraded) Windows 7, but can run Mac OSX and Linux. Hitachi CM721F flat screen CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Gateway Sk9920 Corsair TX750 Dunno who made the case, but its modded! HP Voodoo DNA laser mouse 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
Ethylene Glycol
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E7300 DFI LanParty DK X38 series Nvidia GTX 260 4gb of Mushkin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Maxtor 250GB SATA Lite-on DVD rom drive (soon to be upgraded) Windows 7, but can run Mac OSX and Linux. Hitachi CM721F flat screen CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Gateway Sk9920 Corsair TX750 Dunno who made the case, but its modded! HP Voodoo DNA laser mouse 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Best way to make Orange LED's?