Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Multiple questions about what mouse to get...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multiple questions about what mouse to get...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I've been reading here, and while I've become a bit wiser, I'm still lost. I cannot really decide what mouse to get. I've been looking at the intellimouse 3.0, since it's a bit bigger than your average mouse and made for long hands, can be overclocked fairly high and doesn't have prediction.

I have a few questions:
1. What are your opinions on prediction?
2. What are your opinions on Razer?
3. What are your opinions on Steelseries?
4. Based on the overclockability, size/shape and tracking, which mouse do you think I should get?

I mainly play Quake Live, if that's of any help.

Thanks!
post #2 of 18
you can overclock mice?
Patawic's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1055T Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC Corsair 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F4 LG CH10LS20 Bluray CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P4211H x 2 Logitech G110 OCZ 750W Fatal1ty HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Patawic's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1055T Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC Corsair 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F4 LG CH10LS20 Bluray CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P4211H x 2 Logitech G110 OCZ 750W Fatal1ty HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Yeah man all I picked up on was, "can be overclocked fairly high".
Yay
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k GB Z68X UD3R 570 GigaByte Windforce x3 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1 TB WD Black Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Syncmaster 740B LG 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750 Corsair TX HAF 932 LG XM-400 Razer Goliathus 
Audio
Asus Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Yay
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k GB Z68X UD3R 570 GigaByte Windforce x3 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1 TB WD Black Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Syncmaster 740B LG 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750 Corsair TX HAF 932 LG XM-400 Razer Goliathus 
Audio
Asus Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patawic View Post
you can overclock mice?
Technically, yes. You increase the polling rate of the mouse, which increases the amount of images taken by the mouse sensor per second. One cycle is equivalent to one image taken, and increasing cycles per second is known as overclocking. If you don't consider that to be overclocking, I don't know what would be.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRayadon View Post
Technically, yes. You increase the polling rate of the mouse, which increases the amount of images taken by the mouse sensor per second. One cycle is equivalent to one image taken, and increasing cycles per second is known as overclocking. If you don't consider that to be overclocking, I don't know what would be.
It doesn't work that way, overclocking your mouse (higher polling rate) only means you increase how often per second the mouse sends data to the PC.
You don't have an influence on how many images the sensors makes or how often the sensor sends movement data to the MCU of the mouse.
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullveyr View Post
It doesn't work that way, overclocking your mouse (higher polling rate) only means you increase how often per second the mouse sends data to the PC.
You don't have an influence on how many images the sensors makes or how often the sensor sends movement data to the MCU of the mouse.
Thanks for the info.

back on topic, anyone?
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRayadon View Post
I've been reading here, and while I've become a bit wiser, I'm still lost. I cannot really decide what mouse to get. I've been looking at the intellimouse 3.0, since it's a bit bigger than your average mouse and made for long hands, can be overclocked fairly high and doesn't have prediction.

I have a few questions:
1. What are your opinions on prediction?
2. What are your opinions on Razer?
3. What are your opinions on Steelseries?
4. Based on the overclockability, size/shape and tracking, which mouse do you think I should get?

I mainly play Quake Live, if that's of any help.

Thanks!
1. It can be both good and bad, its a preference if you like it or not
2. Low build quality
3. Higher build quality but none of their mice have a quality sensor
4. Overclockability? Pretty much all new gaming mouse has an option for 1000hz or atleast 500hz so you dont need to "overclock" them


The best mice in terms of tracking are the cm storm spawn and the puretrak valor

I can honestly say I never seen a quake live player using palm grip so cm storm spawn is probally your best bet, otherwise zowie mico is a great choice too
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiiYaa View Post
1. It can be both good and bad, its a preference if you like it or not
2. Low build quality
3. Higher build quality but none of their mice have a quality sensor
4. Overclockability? Pretty much all new gaming mouse has an option for 1000hz or atleast 500hz so you dont need to "overclock" them


The best mice in terms of tracking are the cm storm spawn and the puretrak valor

I can honestly say I never seen a quake live player using palm grip so cm storm spawn is probally your best bet, otherwise zowie mico is a great choice too
I use sort of a "relaxed palm", where I use most of the right side of my right hand to move and stabilize the mouse, and use the my fingers to make quick precise movements.

All of the mice you reccomended look pretty small... my hand is 25 cm long from the wrist to the tip of my middle finger.
post #9 of 18
Most people I've talked to really dislike prediction, and I heard it was causing a problem I was having with an older mouse in Oblivion (The mouse would move horribly slow in the menus but fine in game play). I just changed back to my more modern but still crummy wireless mouse with out that problem.

Almost no one likes Razer and their build quality on any of their products, except for me, and every one else likes their mouse the Razer Deathadder. Known, supposedly and according to a letter regarding their black edition, as one of the most ergonomic and most comfortable mice on the market. Fairly long too, some people consider it heavy but I don't.

Steelseries has a decently recommended mouse known as the Xai, but people comment on its poor looks and it lacks buttons I believe, I think it only has 3, left and right click + scroll wheel, correct me if I'm wrong please, but I think that's correct.

Most retailers/mouse constructors don't comment on the overclockability of a mouse, so it's hard to judge that, plus 500mhz and 1000mhz is pretty quick anyways and should give a fine response time. My recommendation on a mouse is the Razer Deathadder for you, it has 5 buttons, is made for right handers (has a left handed edition as well though), and is very comfortable to use. Has good tracking from what I can hear though. The CM storm spawn is also a very good recommendation now that the previous problems that existed with it have been fixed, other mice you should check out are the Logitech MX518 and perhaps the Mionix Naos 3200 or 5000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiiYaa
The best mice in terms of tracking are the cm storm spawn and the puretrak valor
No one has gotten their hands on the Valor yet, so we can't say that and back it up.
Stealth Strike
(18 items)
 
The Dog
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Seagate Barracuda Generic Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair A70 CPU Cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 3x Asus VS247H-P Saitek Cyborg V.7 MW2 Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA G2 750w 80+ Gold Certified Corsair 600T Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition PureTrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar DG Sound Card Audio Technica A900X 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.8GHz NB 2940MHz Asus M5A97 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Seagate Barracuda Corsair A70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Asus VW246H Saitek Cyborg V.7 MW2 Edition Antec HCG 620w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Elite 430 PureTrak Valor Puretrak Talent Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Stealth Strike
(18 items)
 
The Dog
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Seagate Barracuda Generic Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair A70 CPU Cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 3x Asus VS247H-P Saitek Cyborg V.7 MW2 Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA G2 750w 80+ Gold Certified Corsair 600T Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition PureTrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar DG Sound Card Audio Technica A900X 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.8GHz NB 2940MHz Asus M5A97 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Seagate Barracuda Corsair A70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Asus VW246H Saitek Cyborg V.7 MW2 Edition Antec HCG 620w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Elite 430 PureTrak Valor Puretrak Talent Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaldog View Post
No one has gotten their hands on the Valor yet, so we can't say that and back it up.
I doubt they would be lying about the tracking speed as they know we would find out

A quote from purenick
"Prelim tests for the Valor's A3090 sensor are below.

Perfect Control (meters/sec) @ 3.963
Malfunction Speed (meters/sec) @ 4.638"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Multiple questions about what mouse to get...