Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › XFX 6970 bottlenecked?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XFX 6970 bottlenecked? - Page 3

post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTON View Post



portal 2 is also cpu limited, unless you force agressive image quality through drivers. I get 300 fps. I get about 30 with 16x-eq supersample.
What is a surefire way to tell if my GPU is bottlenecked?
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan_Nightwing View Post
What is a surefire way to tell if my GPU is bottlenecked?
Look at cpu usage and gpu usage. If gpu usage isn't maxed, the cpu isn't sending work to it fast enough.

Sometimes it's a problem and sometimes it's not. In any game, either the gpu or the cpu will hit it's limits. If you're getting 30 fps and the gpu usage is low, then you need a faster cpu. If you're getting 200 fps in something like a source engine based game and the gpu usage is low, then it just means you have more gpu than you need for the game.

Edit2: If you've got that 950 around 4 ghz and the 5870 mildly overclocked, you're good to go. That's a nice pairing.
Edited by PARTON - 6/8/11 at 1:12pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.7(1.416v load) Gigabyte P67 UD4 Diamond HD 7970 1250/1800 4 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline 1.35v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
830 256GB & (3) Spinpoint F3's win7 x64 LG W2363D-PF Silverstone DA800 
Case
FT-02B 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.7(1.416v load) Gigabyte P67 UD4 Diamond HD 7970 1250/1800 4 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline 1.35v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
830 256GB & (3) Spinpoint F3's win7 x64 LG W2363D-PF Silverstone DA800 
Case
FT-02B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTON View Post
Look at cpu usage and gpu usage. If gpu usage isn't maxed, the cpu isn't sending work to it fast enough.

Sometimes it's a problem and sometimes it's not. In any game, either the gpu or the cpu will hit it's limits. If you're getting 30 fps and the gpu usage is low, then you need a faster cpu. If you're getting 200 fps in something like a source engine based game and the gpu usage is low, then it just means you have more gpu than you need for the game.

Edit2: If you've got that 950 around 4 ghz and the 5870 mildly overclocked, you're good to go. That's a nice pairing.
Thanks! I'm acting running them both at stock haha. I'd like to try and make my cpu last as long as possible so I won't overclock until absolutely necessary .
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronex View Post
running at 4 GhZ stable idle 47 degree
Getting 76.8 fps with 4x AA on
I genuinely hate to burst your bubble, but have you checked your load temps, i would if you don't want to kill your cpu, going 4Ghz on a hex with a stock cooler. if its under 60(not advised) your ok, but you should really be aiming for <55c which i seriously doubt your getting.

Id push it back to 3.6 tbh, untill you replace the stock fansink

Just a friendly warning for those who don't have the money to buy a new cpu every month or two
Edited by Asmodean - 6/8/11 at 2:11pm
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTON View Post
good job, feels better doesn't it. easy fix. What's the load temp?
played dirt 2 for 3 hours everything maxed out and load temp is 53 degree.
Got good airflow in the case and a good thermal paste.
post #26 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
I genuinely hate to burst your bubble, but have you checked your load temps, i would if you don't want to kill your cpu, going 4Ghz on a hex with a stock cooler. if its under 60(not advised) your ok, but you should really be aiming for <55c which i seriously doubt your getting.

Id push it back to 3.6 tbh, untill you replace the stock fansink

Just a friendly warning for those who don't have the money to buy a new cpu every month or two
In a month i get a better cpu cooler, so i will see. But thanks anyway
post #27 of 44
hey on on my phenom2x4 965 3.7 was the sweetspot for gaming and keep in mind if v sync is on it wont show 99% gpu usage bc you dont ussally need it

and also on my quad(not sure if its all phenom2s) once u go past 3.7ghz cool and queit dosent work anymore

3.7 is a perfect spot for me
post #28 of 44
Quote:
at 1920x1080 with 0 AA
With those settings the I7 was getting 81.6 fps at 4x AA it was 77 fps, so I guess your doing pretty good.
post #29 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc View Post
With those settings the I7 was getting 81.6 fps at 4x AA it was 77 fps, so I guess your doing pretty good.
I get with a resolution of 1920 1080 with 4x AA 76.8 fps and should be

77.2 so i quess i'm almost there. OC it to 4.2 Ghz when i get a better cooler
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronex View Post
I get with a resolution of 1920 1080 with 4x AA 76.8 fps and should be

77.2 so i quess i'm almost there. OC it to 4.2 Ghz when i get a better cooler
You are also comparing to a better cpu, so your looking really nice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › XFX 6970 bottlenecked?