Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › How to completely close AVG Antivirus 2011?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to completely close AVG Antivirus 2011? - Page 2

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()ut[@st;13814995 
Through the Advanced settings tab thumb.gif

avgscreen.th.jpg





Your point? I have already gathered you're not a fan of AVG (and hardware firewalls) biggrin.gif

lol
A av with a detection rate of around 85 percent of known malware and a huge amount of false positives ain't something to be a fan of.
For hardware firewall who said I'm not a fan? Because I said a hardware firewall for one pc is a overkill? They're for businesses but you can't go use one for a home computer where the avg user has no clue to set it up. Its only as good as its rules and that's why there are IT people who were trained to config and have experience in setting it up.
Your security setup depends on the circumstances and config. Do you think the avg home user is going to monitor it like the admins of the companies would?
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
I agree, AVG has lots of false positives, especially on a lot of free sourceforge software that I have installed.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony;13801123 
No it can't be disabled. You need to uninstall it. Click on my sig. The link for the uninstaller is there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony;13813223 
try and disable avg then do a malware scan with it with other utilities like Combofix Tdskiller etc etc

Hmm... know what you're talking about?
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman23;13821033 
Hmm... know what you're talking about?
eh? You got a point or something to add?
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony;13822974 
eh? You got a point or something to add?

Just trying to make sure you're providing accurate information.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman23;13825187 
Just trying to make sure you're providing accurate information.
Quote:
IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications , usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
Note: If AVG or CA Internet Security Suite is installed, you must remove these programs before using Combofix. If for some reason these applications will not uninstall, try uninstalling with AppRemover by Opswat
.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic381822.html
Quote:
IMPORTANT - ComboFix will not run until AVG is uninstalled. This is because AVG falsely detects ComboFix (or its embedded files) as a threat and may remove them resulting in the tool not working correctly which in turn can cause "unpredictable results" . Since AVG cannot be effectively disabled before running ComboFix, the author recommends you to uninstall AVG first. You may do this through Control Panel> Programs > Uninstall a program or you can use this tool for a more complete removal:
Download AppRemover from here saving it to your desktop.
*. Double click to run AppRemover
*. Follow the prompts to remove AVG
*. Reboot
Once you've removed AVG with this tool please continue with these instructions
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=76288
Quote:
We need to run a tool called ComboFix , ComboFix will not run until AVG is uninstalled as a protective measure against the anti-virus.
This is because AVG " falsely " detects ComboFix (or its embedded files) as a threatand may remove them resulting in the tool not working correctly which in turn can cause "unpredictable results" .
Since AVG cannot be effectively disabled before running ComboFix, the author recommends you to uninstall AVG first.

http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56811

There's not 1 malware forum or at least a decent one that don't tell you to uninstall it before you start any cleaning because AVG can't be disabled effectively.
post #17 of 21
Sighh..
Go to the Advanced Options.
Scroll down and you should see Disable AVG Temporarily.
Closet Computer.
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k. MSI P67A-G43. Asus DirectCU Radeon HD 6870. G.skill RipjawX (2x2) 1333Mhz. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Blue 500GB. Windows 7 Home Premium. hp f2304 @ 1980x1200. Old DELL @ 1280x1024 Corsair HX850. 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom Black. Razer Deathadder 3.5G. Razer Scarab. X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro. 
Audio
Sennheiser HD555. 
  hide details  
Reply
Closet Computer.
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k. MSI P67A-G43. Asus DirectCU Radeon HD 6870. G.skill RipjawX (2x2) 1333Mhz. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Blue 500GB. Windows 7 Home Premium. hp f2304 @ 1980x1200. Old DELL @ 1280x1024 Corsair HX850. 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom Black. Razer Deathadder 3.5G. Razer Scarab. X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro. 
Audio
Sennheiser HD555. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 21
Avg can't be disabled. the last version that couldve been disabled was version 7 where they then decided to take that option away. The reason because its a security measure so that malware can't disable it. You can switch off protection its still active hence its false positive of Combofix. Which is another mystery why Avg haven't sorted that out because its being detection Combofix for ages as a false positive. Which say something that they haven't done anything on their scanner for ages or don't bother to pay attention to it.
The self defense is a good thing but what does it help it let malware thru with the mindset don't worry it can't disable it but it has the same privileges as the av so the av can't remove it either
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJustin;13830500 
Sighh..
Go to the Advanced Options.
Scroll down and you should see Disable AVG Temporarily.
I know how to do that, which is why i ask how to fully disable it for a long time, not "temporarily"
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterhung;13830621 
I know how to do that, which is why i ask how to fully disable it for a long time, not "temporarily"

uninstall It. That's the only way I'm afraid. But you can always reinstall it or maybe you met another av you fancy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › How to completely close AVG Antivirus 2011?