Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Windows Phone 7...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows Phone 7... - Page 2

post #11 of 24
Miki, the phone does have it short-comings as you've already stated if you can wait until Mango, I think a lot of 'Other Apps' will come in it's time. But this is what I've been recommending to people considering WP7, who I know as I have one and haven't looked back since release day, just take it home for a week or two and see how you like it from a user day-to-day basis. I personally love the phone more than I ever did my Vibrant it's just so much more sleek, and responsive. But as far apps I feel the phone needs to be complete I can't think of none but that could simply just be me and could vary from, person to person. But I'm voting for trying the phone out, if you can handle the restocking fee if you don't like it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820k AsRock X99 R290 16GB DDR4 GSkill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
3TB Hitachi Vertex 3 500GB Vertex 2 120GB Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Samsung UHD28 Black Edition XFX 750W HAF X Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820k AsRock X99 R290 16GB DDR4 GSkill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
3TB Hitachi Vertex 3 500GB Vertex 2 120GB Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Samsung UHD28 Black Edition XFX 750W HAF X Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 24
People always complain that WP7 lacks apps, doesn't have apps, etc etc.....how many apps do you actually use? I've owned my HTC Surround for a while now and I only have about three third party apps. Everything else is already integrated into the phone, like social networking (Facebook).

(Then again, I came from a non-smartphone so I was never exposed to the whole app hype)

Oh and the internet browsing experience sucks. iOS is far surperior in that department. But for everything else I love WP7. Mostly how fast and simple the functionality is. It's one of those get-the-job-done OSes.
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrain View Post
Miki, the phone does have it short-comings as you've already stated if you can wait until Mango, I think a lot of 'Other Apps' will come in it's time. But this is what I've been recommending to people considering WP7, who I know as I have one and haven't looked back since release day, just take it home for a week or two and see how you like it from a user day-to-day basis. I personally love the phone more than I ever did my Vibrant it's just so much more sleek, and responsive. But as far apps I feel the phone needs to be complete I can't think of none but that could simply just be me and could vary from, person to person. But I'm voting for trying the phone out, if you can handle the restocking fee if you don't like it.
I can handle the restocking fee, very nice suggestion. c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
People always complain that WP7 lacks apps, doesn't have apps, etc etc.....how many apps do you actually use? I've owned my HTC Surround for a while now and I only have about three third party apps. Everything else is already integrated into the phone, like social networking (Facebook).

(Then again, I came from a non-smartphone so I was never exposed to the whole app hype)

Oh and the internet browsing experience sucks. iOS is far surperior in that department. But for everything else I love WP7. Mostly how fast and simple the functionality is. It's one of those get-the-job-done OSes.
I might get it and see for myself, like Dtrain suggested. I'm noticing that people that actually own a Windows Phone 7 device seem to be impressed. I'm simply weighing all my options. What I do know is that I'm done (for now) with the iPhone.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post
I can handle the restocking fee, very nice suggestion. c:



I might get it and see for myself, like Dtrain suggested. I'm noticing that people that actually own a Windows Phone 7 device seem to be impressed. I'm simply weighing all my options. What I do know is that I'm done (for now) with the iPhone.
Yeah that's kind of how I ended up with my HD7, I had a Vibrant and was right back to trade it for a HD7 on release day.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820k AsRock X99 R290 16GB DDR4 GSkill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
3TB Hitachi Vertex 3 500GB Vertex 2 120GB Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Samsung UHD28 Black Edition XFX 750W HAF X Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820k AsRock X99 R290 16GB DDR4 GSkill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
3TB Hitachi Vertex 3 500GB Vertex 2 120GB Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Samsung UHD28 Black Edition XFX 750W HAF X Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 24
I like window 7 phones so I'm not the majority. Plan to go to Dell Venue pro if my phone dies in the near future. If not I'd wait for something better. As for Miki, ever thought about needing a full keyboard for text/emails or is the normal keyboard on the HD7 going to be okay?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Doh eVGA 759 Classy Gigabyte GTX 470 6 gb Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80gb SSD, 2x640 Black, 2x1TB Green, 640 Green Samsung DVD-RW W7 64bit 1920x1200 Asus 25.5 incher 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 86ub + HHKbp2 Silverstone Zeus 850W Ravenfish Rayzor Naga | Sseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Rayzor Sphex | PT Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Doh eVGA 759 Classy Gigabyte GTX 470 6 gb Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80gb SSD, 2x640 Black, 2x1TB Green, 640 Green Samsung DVD-RW W7 64bit 1920x1200 Asus 25.5 incher 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 86ub + HHKbp2 Silverstone Zeus 850W Ravenfish Rayzor Naga | Sseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Rayzor Sphex | PT Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
Bought a Focus for my Fiancee after our Iphone 3GS crapped out. It is rather nice, I have my small complaints, such as holding it on its side I very easily hit the touch sensitive buttons, but that is really a non-issue.

I find, like it seems everyone else does, that it is very fast, and very fluid. Sadly though, we have had issues with our phone, hiccups in performance, locking up. Works fine overall, but can leave a but left a bad taste in our mouth when we were original going for an android, kind of gave us a slight buyers remorse.

I just recently got myself an Optimus T. I enjoy it, but dearly miss WP7, the ease of use, and the fluid feel of it all.

TL;DR: I enjoy WP7
Old Bessy
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 635 Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H Refence ATI 4870 2x2GB El Cheapo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
80GB Main 1TB Storage Stock Win 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Arctosa Antec VP-450 Antec 300 Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Bessy
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 635 Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H Refence ATI 4870 2x2GB El Cheapo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
80GB Main 1TB Storage Stock Win 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Arctosa Antec VP-450 Antec 300 Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 24
Just jumping in, two things. One, the only WP7 phone that I know that supports a user installed SD card is the Samsung Focus. This is an AT&T branded phone, like the HTC HD7S. Also, a touch on the Apps/Games. Obviously, Android and iOS have an advantage here with more apps, with some very crucial apps missing. I am a heavy budgeter and expense tracker, so I naturally use Mint. It's free, looks great, has the backing of Intuit, and has an iOS/Android app. So naturally, I had the apps for those platforms. There is yet an app to be made for WP7, and it's not on their "roadmap".

You may experience this with other developers with crucial apps that you use, because they may be afraid to dedicate the time/money for a fledging platform that in their opinion, may not make it. Just thought you should be aware.
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone View Post
I like window 7 phones so I'm not the majority. Plan to go to Dell Venue pro if my phone dies in the near future. If not I'd wait for something better. As for Miki, ever thought about needing a full keyboard for text/emails or is the normal keyboard on the HD7 going to be okay?
I'm getting the feeling that the majourity likes Windows Phone 7, just feels it's not up to par in terms of apps, multitasking support, flash, etc. It is my understanding that this fall, most of the issues will be addressed in "Mango". Apps are gonna take time but the store has already grown significantly in a short time.

To be honest I am used to typing on a screen because of my iPhone 4, and my previous phone was a 3gS. I think I'll be perfectly fine with the HTC. I actually prefer it, the slide out keyboards makes the phone too bulky imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp112 View Post
Bought a Focus for my Fiancee after our Iphone 3GS crapped out. It is rather nice, I have my small complaints, such as holding it on its side I very easily hit the touch sensitive buttons, but that is really a non-issue.

I find, like it seems everyone else does, that it is very fast, and very fluid. Sadly though, we have had issues with our phone, hiccups in performance, locking up. Works fine overall, but can leave a but left a bad taste in our mouth when we were original going for an android, kind of gave us a slight buyers remorse.

I just recently got myself an Optimus T. I enjoy it, but dearly miss WP7, the ease of use, and the fluid feel of it all.

TL;DR: I enjoy WP7
Hm, well the issue could have been with that particular phone model you bought, and not an issue with Windows Phone 7. I'm sure there are some Android Phones that aren't as good as others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post
Just jumping in, two things. One, the only WP7 phone that I know that supports a user installed SD card is the Samsung Focus. This is an AT&T branded phone, like the HTC HD7S. Also, a touch on the Apps/Games. Obviously, Android and iOS have an advantage here with more apps, with some very crucial apps missing. I am a heavy budgeter and expense tracker, so I naturally use Mint. It's free, looks great, has the backing of Intuit, and has an iOS/Android app. So naturally, I had the apps for those platforms. There is yet an app to be made for WP7, and it's not on their "roadmap".

You may experience this with other developers with crucial apps that you use, because they may be afraid to dedicate the time/money for a fledging platform that in their opinion, may not make it. Just thought you should be aware.
Hm, I'm not worried about an SD Card slot, the HD7S has plenty of internal storage (16GB), at least for me. But your comments about apps is something I've considered, and am still considering.
post #19 of 24
In regards to what Comp112 said, I did notice one or two hiccups with my Focus when it first came out but I didn't really think twice about it since it did just launch. Any brand new OS/Phone is going to have a few problems. The only ones I really remember was maybe about twice the marketplace locked up and I had to restart my phone to be able to launch the marketplace again. But Like I said since the updates I haven't notice any problems tbh.

I think it comes down to whether you really need just those couple of apps that haven't been developed for WP7 yet. Because so many websites now a days have mobile versions I really haven't noticed the lack of flash support myself, but I'm sure some people notice it that stray from "mainstream" websites.

Not trying to sound like a fanboy here, but just saying if you can live without some of those apps that WP7 doesn't have yet I don't think you will be disappointed. If anything I might end up buying a cheap iPod touch to fill in the gap of the two or three apps that I really do want, but thats another piece of hardware. Let us know what you end up choosing!

Oh and AT&T is really slow on pushing out updates! That is one thing that really does bother me, but I guess it's better for the end user that the updates are thoroughly tested. And forgot to mention a quick note about email. Not sure if you intend on checking several different email accounts, and I don't have experience with how other phones handle it but I love the way WP7 handles it. It's very easy to set up several accounts imo, and since my school email uses Outlook web access it was a cinch to set it up. That was definitely a big advantage to me as well.
Edited by ace_012 - 6/10/11 at 9:24am
post #20 of 24
I'd probably get a WP7 device if I were eligable for an upgrade. I tried out a few WP7 devices while browsing stores like Best Buy and rather liked what I saw.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Windows Phone 7...