Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Cheaper IPS or Good TN ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheaper IPS or Good TN ?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
A Good TN panel like Samsung PX2370 or XL2370 is competitive with color intensive to a cheaper IPS panel like Dell U2311h or IPS236v ?
I'm not interested to color fidelity, only intensity of colors for games and movies.
I dont want dead and faded colors, i want strong and live colors for my desktop.

Is there a really difference ?
IPS like u2311h have aggressive coating ? Asus ML239H is the same ?
post #2 of 19
Just gaming? TN, you will see little difference. Infact TN is actually better for gaming due to the much smaller response times.

IPS doesn't deliver as much intense colour as it does true colour, IPS is only useful to people into the creative side of computing, for example photoshopping, web development or graphic design, where it is imperative that the colours look the same displayed on all monitors.
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
Just gaming? TN, you will see little difference. Infact TN is actually better for gaming due to the much smaller response times.

IPS doesn't deliver as much intense colour as it does true colour, IPS is only useful to people into the creative side of computing, for example photoshopping, web development or graphic design, where it is imperative that the colours look the same displayed on all monitors.
IPS panels tend to have more even color compared to TN. There is a lot more color shifting and brightness inconsistencies on TN panels.

The most dramatic example is a completely red screen. IPS will be uniformly red across the screen. TN panel will be red-orange in some parts and red-pink in other parts.
post #4 of 19
Haha @ "Good TN"

It'll never happen. TN panels are only 6 bit displays which are technically impossible of displaying the full 16.7million colours. And if you have a good eye for colours, you'll notice that the dithering that TN panels to generate all the colours results in glitches a lot of the time. For example (and this is with EVERY TN panel, so if you have a TN panel and claim it doesn't happen its either because you're lying to yourself, or you need your eyes fixed) If you play counterstrike source, and hold a dark coloured gun (like the M4) on CS_Office, and stand on the snow, the shadows on the gun will turn to a dark green that looks horrible.

If you want nice colours and quality for games and films, get an IPS, infinitely better than a TN.

If you're flat broke and you just need a monitor, get a TN.
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
Haha @ "Good TN"

It'll never happen. TN panels are only 6 bit displays which are technically impossible of displaying the full 16.7million colours. And if you have a good eye for colours, you'll notice that the dithering that TN panels to generate all the colours results in glitches a lot of the time. For example (and this is with EVERY TN panel, so if you have a TN panel and claim it doesn't happen its either because you're lying to yourself, or you need your eyes fixed) If you play counterstrike source, and hold a dark coloured gun (like the M4) on CS_Office, and stand on the snow, the shadows on the gun will turn to a dark green that looks horrible.

If you want nice colours and quality for games and films, get an IPS, infinitely better than a TN.

If you're flat broke and you just need a monitor, get a TN.
Yet tons of people still get cheaper 6-bit e-IPS panels that don't qualify as true IPS panels and are similar/inferior to higher-end TN panels in terms of quality. Then they praise it like it's much better than everything offered in the market.

I would listen to the first two replies who gave informative information instead of this guy who seems to talk down on "cheap and crappy" monitors.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
IPS panels tend to have more even color compared to TN. There is a lot more color shifting and brightness inconsistencies on TN panels.

The most dramatic example is a completely red screen. IPS will be uniformly red across the screen. TN panel will be red-orange in some parts and red-pink in other parts.
Depends how good the TN panel is. My X243HQBD doesn't have any of the common TN problems. Doesn't warp and the blacks are true.

If you get a TN just below the price level of an IPS you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
TN panels are only 6 bit displays.
Lol that is some of the most immense BS I've ever heard. Also sigging for immense fail.

Here's my laptop and this is a true and true crappy TN panel with a glossy screen.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
If you play counterstrike source, and hold a dark coloured gun (like the M4) on CS_Office, and stand on the snow, the shadows on the gun will turn to a dark green that looks horrible.
I've played CSS both competetively and for fun, for years, and was infact on the CSS modding scene fpsbanana (now gamebanana) for a long time, I've seen the textures up close, they do infact have specks of green on them. It's because of the generally poorly made lighting system that source has that sometimes the textures mess up like that.

Also office is for noobs.
Edited by Reflux - 6/10/11 at 3:07am
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
Haha @ "Good TN"

It'll never happen. TN panels are only 6 bit displays which are technically impossible of displaying the full 16.7million colours. And if you have a good eye for colours, you'll notice that the dithering that TN panels to generate all the colours results in glitches a lot of the time. For example (and this is with EVERY TN panel, so if you have a TN panel and claim it doesn't happen its either because you're lying to yourself, or you need your eyes fixed) If you play counterstrike source, and hold a dark coloured gun (like the M4) on CS_Office, and stand on the snow, the shadows on the gun will turn to a dark green that looks horrible.

If you want nice colours and quality for games and films, get an IPS, infinitely better than a TN.

If you're flat broke and you just need a monitor, get a TN.

Man, I wish i could see this. I always hear people talking about how good IPS is. I never really been able to tell a huge difference. And I have perfect vision. I guess if i knew exactly what to look for. But if Im not thinking about anything, and just gaming on one or another i do not see a big difference if any.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
Lol that is some of the most immense BS I've ever heard. Also sigging for immense fail.

Here's my laptop and this is a true and true crappy TN panel with a glossy screen.

No, what you showed is only the capabilities of the graphics card not the monitor. He meant that each sub-pixel is only 6-bit on TN panels. An IPS panel has 8-bits on each sub-pixel. There are 3 sub-pixels.

TN: 6-bits x 3 = 18-bits.
IPS: 8-bits x 3 = 24-bits.

24-bits is True Color. The other 8-bits in 32-bit color are used for alpha channel/non color info (24-bit + 8-bit alpha channel = 32-bit color).

The TN panel has to dither to create the missing 6-bits of color.

Newer higher quality monitors and certain workstation GPUs support 10-bits per sub-pixel for 30-bits color (deep color). The people that use 30-bit color are doctors for medical imaging. They used a Dell U2410/U2710 plus a Quadro/FireGL graphics card.
Edited by Riou - 6/10/11 at 3:26am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
I've played CSS both competetively and for fun, for years, and was infact on the CSS modding scene fpsbanana (now gamebanana) for a long time, I've seen the textures up close, they do infact have specks of green on them. It's because of the generally poorly made lighting system that source has that sometimes the textures mess up like that.
It's not due to the source engine. Doesn't happen on my IPS panel TV. It's due to the dithering that TN panels do.
Edited by Cyph3r - 6/10/11 at 3:34am
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
No, what you showed is only the capabilities of the graphics card not the monitor. He meant was that each sub-pixel is only 6-bit on TN panels. An IPS panel has 8-bits on each sub-pixel.

There are 3 sub-pixels.
TN: 6-bit x 3 = 18-bit.
IPS: 8-bits x 3 = 24-bits.

24-bits is True Color.

The TN panel has to dither to create the missing 6-bits of color. The other 8-bits are used for alpha channel in 32-bit color (24-bit + 8-bit alpha channel = 32-bit color).

Newer higher quality monitors and certain workstation GPUs support 10-bits per sub-pixel for 30-bits color (deep color).
I see.

It's still wrong. 18 bit is 262144 colours.
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Cheaper IPS or Good TN ?