Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Wired] For Apple, Yesterday’s Banned Apps Are Tomorrow’s Great New Feature
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Wired] For Apple, Yesterday’s Banned Apps Are Tomorrow’s Great New Feature - Page 5

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzbane View Post
statistics lie all the time.

When I read "it worthwhile to release an Android app because users on that platform refuse to pay for stuff that iPhone users gladly do" I instantly just thought that android users could do it for free. That doesn't mean they wouldn't pay for it if that was the only way.
However you want to spin hard facts is up to you my friend.
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 69
I know a kid who is studying CS to be an "apple dev." All he wants to do is move to California after he makes some miracle app that they'll notice. He thinks they'll take him on as a Dev because so many people will buy his app. Too bad apple will just steal his app and not hire him. At least he can make money before apple takes his work.
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win == True View Post
Apple's new policy: if someone has a good idea steal it!
You mean Micro$oft and that someone being Apple?
post #44 of 69
I played around with the iPhone and decided it was a waste since the screen is so small but has so much potential on a bigger Screen. I mean I can see Facebook and texting on it, but who wants to watch movies or read on such a tiny screen. The possibility with apps is just too much. I had been in the market for an eReader for sometime but was turned off by the lack of color screens. So I looked into getting an iPad 2, and learned about Android in the process.

Android is superior in every way. Although I think its Apple's own fault, they could fix their disadvantage if they wanted to. I mean my Zoom is Flash enabled, 16:10 Aspect Ratio and 1280x800 while the iPad2 has no flash capability, 4:3 aspect ratio, and 1024x768. Everything else is pretty much the same, Size, Battery life, usability. The only thing that Apple has over Android is the Amount of apps and that is going to dwindle and Apple will lose their only edge. Most people are turned off by the lack of keyboard but they are unneeded with built-in Speech to Text and even then you can use a Blue-Tooth keyboard.


I bought my Xoom mostly for reading books via the kindle app in Color, and reading Comic books/Manga digitally. But with App development the number of uses for it grows. With Cloud its usefulness quadruples. As I can transfer movies, musics and books without USB via my desktop.
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Guess that's a matter of personal preference. I rather like having all my app "purchases" in one centralized location. I don't want to spend the time searching multiple app markets trying to find what I'm looking for. Just not interested in that at all. I will happily pay a couple bucks for a well designed app. I don't mind it at all.

I've had my iPhone for over 18 months now and have downloaded and tried just under 700 apps and a couple hundred on my iPad. I couldn't believe the number when I saw it. Not all were paid for of course, but that's a significant number I think. Point is they're all located in ONE place.
Except you don't need to do that for Android, all my apps come off the app market, I could get that many off the one app market for Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
I didn't say there are no good Android apps in the marketplace, only there are more in the App Store, which I've learned from reading posts from other users here. And my theory seems to validate that statement.

I wish you wouldnt use the whole custom ROM argument, because iDevices can be jailbroken with less effort with the same results. And each is something a vast majority of users are simply not interested, myself included. I've jailbroken all of my iDevices at one point or another and while it's all wizz-bang fun at first, the device never feels "right" afterwards, something more jailbreakers can attest to. To each his own.
There aren't though, as someone who has seen both app markets/stores...Well, it's the same except generally you get the same thing for cheaper/free on Android and there's more choice. (Which is better for everyone)

If jailbreaking them makes them not feel "right" afterwards, then it isn't the same results as a custom ROM, as usually a custom ROM makes an Android phone feel far better than it did. And if it doesn't, there's another one that will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0 View Post
I would love to know how she came to that conclusion about Android users. :|
Because there's more competition on the Android market than the Apple App Store, if more people knew about Linux then not many would buy Windows simply due to the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Except they can be bent to force ones perception of the truth onto a certain point that may or may not be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
However you want to spin hard facts is up to you my friend.
How is he spinning hard facts? I linked a free WiFi sync application for Android, like I said: Give me some examples and I will find a free version for Android.

Although I noticed you didn't even mention my post, could it be because you can't come up with anything to come back to it?

And no, I am not a fanboy, if it wasn't for the SGS2 coming out soon and being in the right price range, I'd be getting an iPhone4 due to it being the only decent phone on a non-crap carrier here in Australia in my price range.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
The statistics lie. I'm not paying for app I already have that someone made for free.
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtL1776 View Post
The statistics lie. I'm not paying for app I already have that someone made for free.
There are a few exceptions where I truly do appreciate the developer's work and get their donate version on the market. LauncherPro for instance, and ADWLauncher. I love both of those. I used to have a sick lock screen widget that let me turn on my flashlight on my lock screen and I can't remember the name of it!!! Anyone know by any chance?
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
There are a few exceptions where I truly do appreciate the developer's work and get their donate version on the market. LauncherPro for instance, and ADWLauncher. I love both of those. I used to have a sick lock screen widget that let me turn on my flashlight on my lock screen and I can't remember the name of it!!! Anyone know by any chance?
I donate. I just don't see the point in making the argument that OS is better because the developers are making money because people have to buy apps. The App store has destroyed more dreams then it has made come true.
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Well, pardon me if I misinterpreted his rant. If what you say is the case, that appears to be a major shortcoming of the Android Market then. The quality apps come from successful, talented developers with some money in their pockets, not "weekend hobbyists." That's not to say hobbyists can't make good apps, but come on, get real - for everyone one good app there's probably 1000 crappy ones floating around the market making a mess of things.

tl;dr Frankly, if what you say is accurate, it explains the shortcoming of quality apps in the Android Marketplace that I've read so much about from fellow users on OCN.
Instead of reading about these problems. Sell your iPhone and actually try one.

I sold my iPhone. Never looked back.

Oh and most of the apps I've paid for are by hobbyists. I find hobbyists actually reply to e-mails and keep on top of updates. I never bought a single app on the app store because they all sucked or cost too much real money. £1-2 isn't real money. Asking £5+ for a phone app is ridiculous.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 @ 4,004GHz (1.202v) Asus P8P67-PRO B3 Leadtek GTX260 65nm 896MB 700|1430|1100 4GB DDR3 Muskin 1686MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD CB 250GB, 2x SG 320GB, 1xSS F1 1TB Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung 2032BW 20" 1680x1050 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa CoolerMaster GX 550W Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 @ 4,004GHz (1.202v) Asus P8P67-PRO B3 Leadtek GTX260 65nm 896MB 700|1430|1100 4GB DDR3 Muskin 1686MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD CB 250GB, 2x SG 320GB, 1xSS F1 1TB Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung 2032BW 20" 1680x1050 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa CoolerMaster GX 550W Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 69
Nevermind all the hating. It's time to start making apps. I have some sheeple to fleece
World Builder 2.0
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ASUS GTX560ti (384c) G.Skill Ares 16GB  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 + OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 + Samsun... CM Hyper 212 Plus Win7 Pro Asus 23" + Samsung 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM QuickFire Rapid (Black Switch) Corsair TX750w Corsair 500r (Black) Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
World Builder 2.0
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ASUS GTX560ti (384c) G.Skill Ares 16GB  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 + OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 + Samsun... CM Hyper 212 Plus Win7 Pro Asus 23" + Samsung 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM QuickFire Rapid (Black Switch) Corsair TX750w Corsair 500r (Black) Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Wired] For Apple, Yesterday’s Banned Apps Are Tomorrow’s Great New Feature