Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › No GUI for Ubuntu 11.04 on eee PC [noob]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No GUI for Ubuntu 11.04 on eee PC [noob]

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Used pendrive to make a bootable usb, I can boot from it and everything looks normal. When the operating system is installing however, there's no GUI. When it's done, I end up with a CLI that says "Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands".

I'v tried "startx", I get not found.

Can someone tell me how to get to the GUI or what the problem is?
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post
Used pendrive to make a bootable usb, I can boot from it and everything looks normal. When the operating system is installing however, there's no GUI. When it's done, I end up with a CLI that says "Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands".

I'v tried "startx", I get not found.

Can someone tell me how to get to the GUI or what the problem is?
So, you installed Ubuntu, and you have no GUI, and X isn't found.

Try this for starters:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
So, you installed Ubuntu, and you have no GUI, and X isn't found.

Try this for starters:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop
When I type that in, I get "sudo: not found". What does that mean?

Also Ubuntu didn't install on the hdd even though that's the option I selected. It's just running off the USB..
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post
When I type that in, I get "sudo: not found". What does that mean?

Also Ubuntu didn't install on the hdd even though that's the option I selected. It's just running off the USB..
Hmm...

So the HDD is still empty? Have you tried booting from it yet?

How did you create the bootable USB stick and how did you put the Ubuntu install ISO on it?
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
Hmm...

So the HDD is still empty? Have you tried booting from it yet?

How did you create the bootable USB stick and how did you put the Ubuntu install ISO on it?
Yea I tried booting from the hdd and there was nothing, only windows 7 showed.

I used pendrive to make a bootable usb, I checked to see if the flash worked on another pc and it works fine. I plugged it into my eee pc and changed the boot priority and Ubuntu started, there were a couple of options to select from including:

- Run from USB
- Install to HDD

Which ever one I select, I get the same CLI end result.

I'm downloading Eeebuntu now, going to try and install that to see if it works
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post
Yea I tried booting from the hdd and there was nothing, only windows 7 showed.

I used pendrive to make a bootable usb, I checked to see if the flash worked on another pc and it works fine. I plugged it into my eee pc and changed the boot priority and Ubuntu started, there were a couple of options to select from including:

- Run from USB
- Install to HDD

Which ever one I select, I get the same CLI end result.

I'm downloading Eeebuntu now, going to try and install that to see if it works
Hmm... Where did you get the ISO from? It sounds like you have a corrupted ISO.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
Hmm... Where did you get the ISO from? It sounds like you have a corrupted ISO.
I got it from the Ubuntu website. I think there might be a compatibility issue with 11.04 and netbooks because I just installed Eeebuntu 3.0 NBR and it works perfectly. The install used a GUI and it was very simple to follow, and implementing dual boot was a breeze.

This is my first attempt at using Linux as my main (well sort of main as it's on my netbook ) operating system. Now I'v just got to learn everything lol
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post
I got it from the Ubuntu website. I think there might be a compatibility issue with 11.04 and netbooks because I just installed Eeebuntu 3.0 NBR and it works perfectly. The install used a GUI and it was very simple to follow, and implementing dual boot was a breeze.

This is my first attempt at using Linux as my main (well sort of main as it's on my netbook ) operating system. Now I'v just got to learn everything lol
Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Since this is your first time in Linux, I'll give you a word of advice.

Anytime you're looking to install an application, use the Software Center. Don't browse the 'net looking for linux programs, thats a windows thing. If you use the software center for all your program needs, you'll minimize complications in the long run.

And other than that, be patient. Linux isn't Windows. It does things differently, and IMO it's worth learning to use properly.
post #9 of 10
did you get the server version of ubuntu? lol
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
@Ent: It's a crash between init (or whatever start up programs are) and the OS if I had to guess as non of the normal terminal commands work (I think halt instead of shutdown does though). I've had it happen on various distros. No idea what causes it but it's something that I've noticed occurs when there's some kind of hardware mismatch. For instance I have a mix IDE/SATA HDD setup but the IDE drive is missing the master/slave jumper so I have to shut off the SATA chip on the mobo to prevent a hang and crash into this type of CLI.

@Bluescreen: Well, you just have to know what you're doing when you get things outside of the packagemangers. For instance you can find .debs, rpms, and the nostalgic favorites tarballs of programs but they will not be as easy to make work as you'll have to deal with dependencies yourself along with other things.
Edited by Rookie1337 - 6/13/11 at 10:55am
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › No GUI for Ubuntu 11.04 on eee PC [noob]