Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › High Temps with 955
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High Temps with 955 - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykirsch View Post
I don't think it's a seating issue, I've reseated it twice already, and I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much nail the perfect sized dot of TIM when installing CPU's. I'm just going to break down and grab a cooler, If high temps persist then I guess I'll know its some kind of voltage / airflow problem. Thanks anyways for all the advice, appreciated
Your using the cooler that came with the quad core chip, the one with heatpipes, not a stock cooler from another chip are you?
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc View Post
Your using the cooler that came with the quad core chip, the one with heatpipes, not a stock cooler from another chip are you?
Yes. That's why I hope it is just the cooler, because I have heard so many times how about how fail the stock phenom cooler is at actually cooling
post #13 of 17
Ive honestly never used one, stock coolers. Always had the hyper 212 plus with my 965, 555 and 720. I have it laying around here if your close by. Lol, no one is too close to me right now. Out in the boondocks. Well I guess get some after market cooling and be safe till then. Playing games will be fine though, just dont bump up that voltage any, actually, you may try seeing how low it can go on stock clocks. IE: my 1090T has a stock voltage of 1.30v but it can do 1.24v at 3600mhz P95 stable.
Edited by Chuckclc - 6/11/11 at 2:14am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykirsch View Post
Yeah, just from lurking around here, I got the impression that 62 is about as hot as you want phenom ii's to get under load. I actually have a tube of arctic silver 5, but a friend borrowed it at my behest for his new 212+, I think I may just buckle and order one myself, or a mugen 2. see if that helps
Get an SCMG-2100 (Mugen 2 Rev. B) if you're ordering for Newegg. If you can find the 212+ somewhere for $25 or less, it's worth it, but the Mugen 2 kicks 212+ ass at the $40 price point. Just a note.
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
but the Mugen 2 kicks 212+ ass at the $40 price point. Just a note.
Agreed.

Very good one here too:

http://www.overclock.net/cooling-pro...5-am2-3-a.html

$40 shipped those are normally around 60-70.
Edited by Chuckclc - 6/11/11 at 2:18am
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Interesting little tidbit: dropped the voltage down by .1 (1.216 now on cpuz) and the temps dropped a full 9 degrees, might run prime overnight and just see what turns up, but it's definitely looking like a new cooler is in order, and a new case with it (might as well, been ogling at 912/922's for awhile, I'm a little behind in the cable management / bottom mounted psu club)
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykirsch View Post
Interesting little tidbit: dropped the voltage down by .1 (1.216 now on cpuz) and the temps dropped a full 9 degrees, might run prime overnight and just see what turns up, but it's definitely looking like a new cooler is in order, and a new case with it (might as well, been ogling at 912/922's for awhile, I'm a little behind in the cable management / bottom mounted psu club)
Yeah, its not something talked much about on "overclock.net", lol, but sometimes it helps out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › High Temps with 955