Got the S 2 last week and definitely the best large screen smartphone currently available (I was considering few others - evo 3d, optimus 2x, optimus 3, sensation but this S 2 had better reviews and I'm so glad I got it).
Few quick tips for the phone after using and tweaking it for a couple days - obvious for most but since some are complaining about Samsung stock software - I think it's worth posting:
1) Get other ROM. I got Lightning from XDA and it's fab and fast, got % battery and very nice looking theme
2) Get decent launcher - Launcher Pro is really good, comes with above ROM. Built-in Gmail and message widget are recommended. Home screen & 3d app screen scrolling transitions are really eye catching.
3) Get Advanced Clock Pro widget - lots of information in little space
4) Get Root Uninstaller - this way you can uninstall (or freeze) unwanted stock apps.
Plenty of them is running all the time (like Yahoo, Samsung e-mail client, social hub, etc), this way you can free more RAM (I'm down to ~200MB used now) and have less services running = more battery life
5) Battery life - this is big - watch out for Google maps - if you have location service or lattitude it's services will run constantly and will eat up battery fast. You'll be surprised how longer you can get without it.
- Without the process running
12h on standby with occasional little browsing - 11% used
- With the process running
12h on standby with occasional little browsing - over 28% used
Tested on 3G, no Wi-Fi/BT, constant gmail pull through LauncherPro widget and 1h weather check interval through Advanced Clock Pro.
6) Get Smart Keyboard Pro - miles better than stock or swype
7) If you look for a leather case, get "Samsung Executive Galaxy S 2" from Amazon. I got few others but this is the best, is genuine Samsung, cost ~Â£10 it's very good quality and really thin - unlike others - please note it looks different than stock photo - much better in real life, holds phone securely, have cut outs for the camera and headset jack, closes through tiny magnetic strip at the top (not tongue). Only downside is no cutout for the charging/usb port.
I've yet to see any lag on this phone. So far everything is super snappy, pretty amazing how much tech they've squeezed into so thin and light phone (thinner and lighter than anything else that size).
And did I mention the amazing screen?
Previously I've had HTC Touch Pro 2 - now I'm android believer