Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Want to go over 4.4GHz on my 2500k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want to go over 4.4GHz on my 2500k

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'm currently running at 4.4GHz stable (ran Prime95 for over 2 hours). At load the cores max out at around 68 degrees - core 3 for some reason gets up to 72 degrees. Im using the auto overclock settings in the Asus P8P67 Pro BIOS with a x44 multiplier. I'm not really sure about changing the voltages and increasing the multiplier to 45+ through this to keep it stable, but I'm worried the temps will go too high. I'm only using a Hyper 212+ with a push/pull setup so I'm worried that if I push it up to 4.5GHz the temps will be too much - will adjusting the voltages keep the temps around the same mark?

In short, I'm wondering what the best way to increase the speed up to 4.5GHz (or even higher) whilst keeping the temps below 70 like they are now? I'm completely new to building computers and overclocking so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Check out the second post of our Club for manual overclocking

The Official ASUS 1155/P8P67 PRO Owners Club
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonraver View Post
I'm currently running at 4.4GHz stable (ran Prime95 for over 2 hours). At load the cores max out at around 68 degrees - core 3 for some reason gets up to 72 degrees. Im using the auto overclock settings in the Asus P8P67 Pro BIOS with a x44 multiplier. I'm not really sure about changing the voltages and increasing the multiplier to 45+ through this to keep it stable, but I'm worried the temps will go too high. I'm only using a Hyper 212+ with a push/pull setup so I'm worried that if I push it up to 4.5GHz the temps will be too much - will adjusting the voltages keep the temps around the same mark?

In short, I'm wondering what the best way to increase the speed up to 4.5GHz (or even higher) whilst keeping the temps below 70 like they are now? I'm completely new to building computers and overclocking so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance
That happens to my core #3 too, I guess it's just badly positioned

EDIT: Bump the voltage just enough to get to 4.5GHz, if it get's too hot, just back down to 4.4, I hope you know the TJMax for these chips is like 80c though, last time I checked.
Edited by snelan - 6/12/11 at 6:42am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H-WB Golden GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2 x 4GB GSkill RipJawsX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 64GB- WD Caviar Black 1TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Dell U2311H IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
xArmor iOne U9BL MX Blues Seasonic x750 LIAN LI PC-T60B Logitech G500 
Audio
Modded JVC HA-RX900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H-WB Golden GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2 x 4GB GSkill RipJawsX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 64GB- WD Caviar Black 1TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Dell U2311H IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
xArmor iOne U9BL MX Blues Seasonic x750 LIAN LI PC-T60B Logitech G500 
Audio
Modded JVC HA-RX900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
The auto overclocking mechanism for these SB boards is very, very shabby. Mine wanted 1.38v for 4GHz, when I'm over 24 hours stable (Prime, FTT and Blend) at the same clock speed with 1.2v.

My advice is:

Check on the current voltage, make a note of it. vCore, mainly.
Boot into BIOS, change multi to 44 and the vcore, manually, to what you noted down.
reboot.
test for stability, 15 minutes really ought to be enough for now.
stable? Ok, back to BIOS and take the voltages down, yes, DOWN, just hit the - key once.
reboot
test for stability.
repeat until unstable and then go back to stable settings.

From there you then raise the multiplier up by one, test for stability, add vCore as needed, rinse and repeat until you start to hit around 1.4v and stop.

For instance,

if you reach 4.4GHz @ 1.25v stable. Hit the multi up one to 45 and test for stability. IF you crash, jump back into BIOS and increase vCore to 1.3, test.

EDIT:

my friend and I suspect the sensors on the CPU are intentionally skewed in order for safety. Two of my cores run at the same temp (what I deem to be the actual temp of all 4) the other two run +-5C than the other two, so one is 5c lower, the other 5c higher. I believe this is so that the thermal controls kick in effectively and before damage is done. Don't worry about core readings too much anyway, I've heard the TCASE max is 105C.
Edited by Viridian - 6/12/11 at 6:53am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 @ 4,004GHz (1.202v) Asus P8P67-PRO B3 Leadtek GTX260 65nm 896MB 700|1430|1100 4GB DDR3 Muskin 1686MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD CB 250GB, 2x SG 320GB, 1xSS F1 1TB Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung 2032BW 20" 1680x1050 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa CoolerMaster GX 550W Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500 @ 4,004GHz (1.202v) Asus P8P67-PRO B3 Leadtek GTX260 65nm 896MB 700|1430|1100 4GB DDR3 Muskin 1686MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD CB 250GB, 2x SG 320GB, 1xSS F1 1TB Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung 2032BW 20" 1680x1050 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa CoolerMaster GX 550W Coolermaster Storm Sniper Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
The auto overclocking mechanism for these SB boards is very, very shabby. Mine wanted 1.38v for 4GHz, when I'm over 24 hours stable (Prime, FTT and Blend) at the same clock speed with 1.2v.

My advice is:

Check on the current voltage, make a note of it. vCore, mainly.
Boot into BIOS, change multi to 44 and the vcore, manually, to what you noted down.
reboot.
test for stability, 15 minutes really ought to be enough for now.
stable? Ok, back to BIOS and take the voltages down, yes, DOWN, just hit the - key once.
reboot
test for stability.
repeat until unstable and then go back to stable settings.

From there you then raise the multiplier up by one, test for stability, add vCore as needed, rinse and repeat until you start to hit around 1.4v and stop.

For instance,

if you reach 4.4GHz @ 1.25v stable. Hit the multi up one to 45 and test for stability. IF you crash, jump back into BIOS and increase vCore to 1.3, test.
That sounds like a pretty good method. Is the voltage the only thing I should change initially? And testing it until its unstable won't cause any problems will it? Don't want to break anything!
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
You should use the offset to adjust vcore. It will give less fluctuation and will downclock the voltage when the cpu is not under load.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4n View Post
You should use the offset to adjust vcore. It will give less fluctuation and will downclock the voltage when the cpu is not under load.
How would I do this? I'm finding the EFI a bit confusing!
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
I've given up on the offset feature, and i'm just setting the voltage (initially at 1.3V) and lowering it until it becomes unstable. One quick question: is it worth going above 4.5GHz? I can keep it stable at that and from what I have seen, the bulk of people on 2500ks are running at 4.5GHz or 5.0GHz, not much in between. I don't really use any editing software (only sometimes) and i'm generally just looking to increase my overall speeds and get smoother gameplay. Should I just stick at 4.5GHz?
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
Old hand
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucual M4 64GB Samsung F3 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightsc... Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 23" Asus VG236 120Hz 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Corsair TX Phatenks Enthoo Pro M Logitech MX518 Perixx DX-1000L 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Want to go over 4.4GHz on my 2500k