Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Worst thing that's happened to you while doing photography in public
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worst thing that's happened to you while doing photography in public

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Alright last night I was walking with my girlfriend at the docks for some nice panoramic sunset shots. Then all of a sudden this large old lady with a really nasty temper shouts to us "you better not be taking pictures of me". We weren't the subject was in front of her tho.

My girlfriend just ignored her and continued to shoot the subject that was in front of of this lady. Well that just p!ssed her off!!! She went on a rampage of vulgar words at her and they were going back and forth for at least 20-30 mins. I really thought it was going to get physical because the lady kept getting up and coming closer to my girlfriend.


My question is, has anything like this happened to you before? When ever something like this happens it eats at me and I can't get it out of my head lol. I don't even feel like doing photography anymore after this.
Edited by DorkSterr - 6/12/11 at 9:15am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980X 3003B475* @ 4449.1MHz 1.45V (6C-12T) ASUS Rampage III Extreme - 1208 BIOS CrossFire Asus EAH6970 945MHz/1450MHz 1180 mV* 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 2009MHz / 7-8-7-20 T1 C7* 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
RAID 0* OCZ Vertex 3 120GBX2 (OS)+ 4X 2TB WD Green Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit 30" NEC MultiSync PA301W Filco Majestouch-2 Cherry MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 1200W 80 Plus Gold 100% Modular Corsair Obsidian 800D Razor Mamba 4G Steelseries SX 
Audio
Bowers & Wilkins PM1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2620M Apple Intel® HD Graphics 3000 Corsair Memory 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD10JPVT) 1TB SuperDrive OSX Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980X 3003B475* @ 4449.1MHz 1.45V (6C-12T) ASUS Rampage III Extreme - 1208 BIOS CrossFire Asus EAH6970 945MHz/1450MHz 1180 mV* 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 2009MHz / 7-8-7-20 T1 C7* 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
RAID 0* OCZ Vertex 3 120GBX2 (OS)+ 4X 2TB WD Green Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit 30" NEC MultiSync PA301W Filco Majestouch-2 Cherry MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 1200W 80 Plus Gold 100% Modular Corsair Obsidian 800D Razor Mamba 4G Steelseries SX 
Audio
Bowers & Wilkins PM1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2620M Apple Intel® HD Graphics 3000 Corsair Memory 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD10JPVT) 1TB SuperDrive OSX Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
I'm not sure if this counts as a "photography" story because we were filming a movie, but I'll post it anyways. Lol. This past year of high school (senior year) a couple friends and I were taking a class called mass media, in which we watched, studied, and made movies. Throughout the year we had a running tally of times when we had to break a law for this class. One time, my group was filming a documentary on Hollywood myths and legends. We heard that the ghost of Marilyn Monroe was haunting the 9th floor of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, so we went in and coerced some guests into taking us up to our floor (you needed a room key to operate the elevator). We went up, got our footage and then came back down to the lobby where we were greeted by a pair of large security guards who escorted us off of the premises. They took down our names and now we're never allowed to go back. Good times...
1055T
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4GHz GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 5850 1GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 40GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1TB ASUS DVDRW Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ASUS Glossy Black 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ADESSO SlimMedia Pro Corsair AX 850 700D + window side panel RAZER DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
RAZER Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
1055T
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4GHz GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 5850 1GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 40GB SSD WD Caviar Black 1TB ASUS DVDRW Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ASUS Glossy Black 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ADESSO SlimMedia Pro Corsair AX 850 700D + window side panel RAZER DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
RAZER Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkSterr View Post
Alright last night I was walking with my girlfriend at the docks for some nice panoramic sunset shots. Then all of a sudden this large old lady with a really nasty temper shouts to us "you better not be taking pictures of me". We weren't the subject was in front of her tho.

My girlfriend just ignored her and continued to shoot the subject that was in front of of this lady. Well that just p!ssed her off!!! She went on a rampage of vulgar words at her and they were going back and forth for at least 20-30 mins. I really thought it was going to get physical because the lady kept getting up and coming closer to my girlfriend.


My question is, has anything like this happened to you before? When ever something like this happens it eats at me and I can't get it out of my head lol. I don't even feel like doing photography anymore after this.
lol after some old lady screams at your old lady?

no nothing like this has happened to me. ive gotten weird looks when i pull out my gear to shoot and when i shoot candid streets i generally just shoot from the hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiaff View Post
I'm not sure if this counts as a "photography" story because we were filming a movie, but I'll post it anyways. Lol. This past year of high school (senior year) a couple friends and I were taking a class called mass media, in which we watched, studied, and made movies. Throughout the year we had a running tally of times when we had to break a law for this class. One time, my group was filming a documentary on Hollywood myths and legends. We heard that the ghost of Marilyn Monroe was haunting the 9th floor of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, so we went in and coerced some guests into taking us up to our floor (you needed a room key to operate the elevator). We went up, got our footage and then came back down to the lobby where we were greeted by a pair of large security guards who escorted us off of the premises. They took down our names and now we're never allowed to go back. Good times...
ive done quite a bit of stupid and illegal things for a photo....the worst was when i hopped a fences to take a picture of the bay bridge. trespassed into either a navy or coast guard prohibited area then set up a tripod and sat there for 2 hours waiting for sunset. lucky i didnt get caught but i could only imagine what the charges would be if i did.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-n10 View Post
ive done quite a bit of stupid and illegal things for a photo....the worst was when i hopped a fences to take a picture of the bay bridge. trespassed into either a navy or coast guard prohibited area then set up a tripod and sat there for 2 hours waiting for sunset. lucky i didnt get caught but i could only imagine what the charges would be if i did.
Less serious than entering Area 51 where they have the jurisdiction to shoot you on sight

Worst that happened to me was I was shooting pictures at my fraternity formal, and one of the dates told me "Hey man, I don't want any of my pictures going on Facebook." It was funny because we joked that the brother had taken someone's "advice" too seriously about hiring an escort and this girl totally looked like one... Other than that I've just had to dodge getting hit with soccer balls, water balloons, eggs, squirt guns, and foam at a foam party.
post #5 of 18
You should've just said to her "Don't flatter yourself."

I haven't had any kind of confrontation yet, but I've done some trespassing to get good shots, like mzn10.
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
I've been thrown out of venues for shooting shows with no cameras allowed.
Ticketed.
Chased by private security.
Property owners flipping their knobs at me.

EDIT:
I've been hit in the face with a skateboard, just missing my camera before. Sketchy.
2010 MBP 15"
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
INTEL CORE i5 520M nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 330M 8GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT 500GB 
Optical DriveMonitor
SUPERDRIVE 15.4" @ 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
2010 MBP 15"
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
INTEL CORE i5 520M nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 330M 8GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT 500GB 
Optical DriveMonitor
SUPERDRIVE 15.4" @ 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
Got yanked off a stage by a grumpy stagemanager, due to a miscommunication....wasn't subtle.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 SLACR @ 3.6 GHz Asus P5E Deluxe MSI 6950 2 GB + 9800GT (PhysX) 4 GB White Lake DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 500 GB Sata iHas 120 Windows 7 Pro x64 u2711 (27", 2560x1440, H-IPS) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Dell Combat Power 750W Aerotech PGS Bx-500 Logitech Rx300 
Mouse Pad
Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 SLACR @ 3.6 GHz Asus P5E Deluxe MSI 6950 2 GB + 9800GT (PhysX) 4 GB White Lake DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 500 GB Sata iHas 120 Windows 7 Pro x64 u2711 (27", 2560x1440, H-IPS) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Dell Combat Power 750W Aerotech PGS Bx-500 Logitech Rx300 
Mouse Pad
Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiaff View Post
They took down our names and now we're never allowed to go back. Good times...
Did you at least try giving them fake names?
Bitfenix Prodigy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 670FTW PNY 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Hitachi Deskstar Crucial 256GB Coolermaster Hyper TX-3 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UP2516D Ducky Shine Mini Enermax Revolution XTII Bitfenix Prodigy (White) 
Mouse
Deathadder Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Bitfenix Prodigy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 670FTW PNY 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Hitachi Deskstar Crucial 256GB Coolermaster Hyper TX-3 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UP2516D Ducky Shine Mini Enermax Revolution XTII Bitfenix Prodigy (White) 
Mouse
Deathadder Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by citruspers View Post
Got yanked off a stage by a grumpy stagemanager, due to a miscommunication....wasn't subtle.
I've been shoved off a stage by ignorant power-trippy door staff - luckily I have cat-like balance so I didn't land on my camera

And argued (successfully I might add) with Police in London about where and what I'm allowed to photograph Public places, as I informed them, are not covered by any law regarding photography. Although I did indeed learn that they are allowed to request to look at your photos (assuming your camera is digital, of course ) to ascertain whether anything about them is "potentially 'terrorist' in nature"

Crazy world we live in
post #10 of 18
I had a security guard attempt to grab my gear, and subsequently, throw a liner at my face. This was outside of an oil refinery. I'm still waiting for the weather to be just right, but I'm going back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Worst thing that's happened to you while doing photography in public