Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Big Watercooling Plans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big Watercooling Plans

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I'm hoping that I get a job in the next few weeks and plan to spend some of my saved cash to venture into watercooling (combined with some case modding). I know very little about watercooling, so it's about time I learnt.

By the end of the summer I hope to be building up a bulldozer system with two graphics cards, I want to watercool the motherboard, the RAM, the CPU and the two GPUs.

And since this is OCN, I want to overkill it. Here's my plan:

Reservoir -> Pump -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> CPU -> Big Radiator -> RAM -> MoBo -> Small radiator -> Reservoir

kiPooeThe reservoir I'll use is an black delrin aquatube:
http://bit.ly/ifnP2m

kiPooeThe big radiator will be a Phobya Xtreme Nova 1080:
http://bit.ly/jZvJeR
or a Mora 3:
http://bit.ly/mNwBcR

kiPooeThe small radiator will be some 3x120, probably a Phobya G-Changer:
http://bit.ly/kQkTEg

I have a few questions which I hope you'll be able to answer wink.gif

1. I'm going for a completely silent system, I will most likely use quiet 120mm PWM fans throughout the case and wire them to a PWM amplifier. Going on this information - would the Phobya 1080 or the Mora 3 be a better option? Both claim to be optimised for low speed fans, but the Phobya is much cheaper.

2. Bearing in mind complete silence, which pumps should I be looking at? I have no idea how powerful they should be and couldnt find any good examples of similar setups. I was thinking of some sort of Laing double top.

Thanks guys, any other suggestions and tips will be welcomed wink.gif
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killhouse;13859699 
Hey guys,
I'm hoping that I get a job in the next few weeks and plan to spend some of my saved cash to venture into watercooling

If you get a job in the uk I'd save all you can as the way this country is going it will cost a weeks wages for taxes and a loaf of bread
swimming haf-x
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.7 1.37 v asus p8p67 deluxe vtx3d black HD 7870 kiningston hyper x 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
hitachi xspc raystorm phobya 360 Ek-vga Bridge edition  windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
aoc 23.5" mushkin joules 800w coolermaster HaF-X gigabyte 
  hide details  
Reply
swimming haf-x
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.7 1.37 v asus p8p67 deluxe vtx3d black HD 7870 kiningston hyper x 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
hitachi xspc raystorm phobya 360 Ek-vga Bridge edition  windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
aoc 23.5" mushkin joules 800w coolermaster HaF-X gigabyte 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback;13859869 
If you get a job in the uk I'd save all you can as the way this country is going it will cost a weeks wages for taxes and a loaf of bread

True, but I have a bit saved up and I'll be stalking Ebay for all the good deals wink.gif
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Looking at the other stuff you have done this is going to be a silly suggestion but you could easily get away with a couple of rx480 rads slow quiet fans and it would cool what you have especially if the bulldozer goes the same as intel i7 chips smaller and cooler

btw I like your desk
swimming haf-x
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.7 1.37 v asus p8p67 deluxe vtx3d black HD 7870 kiningston hyper x 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
hitachi xspc raystorm phobya 360 Ek-vga Bridge edition  windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
aoc 23.5" mushkin joules 800w coolermaster HaF-X gigabyte 
  hide details  
Reply
swimming haf-x
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.7 1.37 v asus p8p67 deluxe vtx3d black HD 7870 kiningston hyper x 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
hitachi xspc raystorm phobya 360 Ek-vga Bridge edition  windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
aoc 23.5" mushkin joules 800w coolermaster HaF-X gigabyte 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Bundymania did a review of the Mora 2/3 and the Phobya 1080, basically the MoRa 3 performs slightly better, has a bit more restriction and I'm pretty sure the build quality is better too

I got the MoRa 420 because I could get it fast at a local shop ... Phobya 1080 will do the job just as well I guess but I have to say the MoRa really looks and feels like a quality product biggrin.gif (when it comes to price I think I paid another ~40€ for the grill and ~25€ for the case attachment...)


as for the pump; I got an Aquastream XT so I can have the whole Aquacomputer Aquaero controlled party going cool.gif ... I mounted it on their "Shoggy Sandwich" decoupling/anti vibration plates which definitely helped reducing vibration transfer to the case

although it's quiet (and big..) the performance isn't great though, so if you're looking for high flowrates (and you got a 2nd GPU block, RAM block + a restrictive motherboard block) I guess the Swiftech MCP35X with its PWM control is more suitable for you headscratch.gif

and finally just be careful about the fans; I want complete silence as well but the 3 YateLoon 120 casefans I have going at 600 rpm are really getting on my nerves with their clicking (9 YL140 on MoRa arent that audible) ...
Monolith
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600K @ 4.8 , 1.42v Asus P8Z68-V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1255/3800 Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1255/3800 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Vengeance 1866 4*4 GB Samsung 830 256GB * 2 RAID-0 MO-RA3 9*140 PRO radiator, CPU GPUs & board wat... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
BenQ XL2420T 120 Hz Viewsonic VX2025WM Samsung LE32A656 1080p TV Steelseries 6Gv2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX650 Fractal Design - Define XL Logitech G700 Asus Xonar DGX / Sennheiser 595 + amp 
Audio
Yamaha RX-V 661 / Jamo S606 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Monolith
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600K @ 4.8 , 1.42v Asus P8Z68-V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1255/3800 Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1255/3800 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Vengeance 1866 4*4 GB Samsung 830 256GB * 2 RAID-0 MO-RA3 9*140 PRO radiator, CPU GPUs & board wat... Windows 7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
BenQ XL2420T 120 Hz Viewsonic VX2025WM Samsung LE32A656 1080p TV Steelseries 6Gv2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX650 Fractal Design - Define XL Logitech G700 Asus Xonar DGX / Sennheiser 595 + amp 
Audio
Yamaha RX-V 661 / Jamo S606 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback;13859962 
Looking at the other stuff you have done this is going to be a silly suggestion but you could easily get away with a couple of rx480 rads slow quiet fans and it would cool what you have especially if the bulldozer goes the same as intel i7 chips smaller and cooler

btw I like your desk

Doesent really suit the build I'm going for, see the pic at the bottom tongue.gif But thanks for the recommendations.

And thanks, I like it too wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0n44m;13860017 
Bundymania did a review of the Mora 2/3 and the Phobya 1080, basically the MoRa 3 performs slightly better, has a bit more restriction and I'm pretty sure the build quality is better too

I got the MoRa 420 because I could get it fast at a local shop ... Phobya 1080 will do the job just as well I guess but I have to say the MoRa really looks and feels like a quality product biggrin.gif (when it comes to price I think I paid another ~40€ for the grill and ~25€ for the case attachment...)


as for the pump; I got an Aquastream XT so I can have the whole Aquacomputer Aquaero controlled party going cool.gif ... I mounted it on their "Shoggy Sandwich" decoupling/anti vibration plates which definitely helped reducing vibration transfer to the case

although it's quiet (and big..) the performance isn't great though, so if you're looking for high flowrates (and you got a 2nd GPU block, RAM block + a restrictive motherboard block) I guess the Swiftech MCP35X with its PWM control is more suitable for you headscratch.gif

and finally just be careful about the fans; I want complete silence as well but the 3 YateLoon 120 casefans I have going at 600 rpm are really getting on my nerves with their clicking (9 YL140 on MoRa arent that audible) ...

Thanks for the review link, I hadnt spotted this and it certainly answers that question. If I can afford it I'll go for the MO-RA3, else the phobya. I wont need to spend all the money on case attachments and grills as I plan to do this myself.

As for the pump, the 18W MCP355 is probably suitable. Is that enough pressure to drive it up and down the case twice, through two big rads and all those blocks though? I often see people doubling them up and thought that would be necessary.

If I dont use PWM fans I'll use Fractal Design fans, I know them well and know how quiet they are at 7V or 12V. I've had a bad experience with Yate Loons too.

+rep for your helpful suggestions.

Here's an outline of a possible mod. It will depend on what the laser cutters quote me as to whether it's possible or not. (The 2nd res and pump are for a passive watercooled server in the top right).

SummerBuild2.jpg
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
PAROXYSM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom x4 II 965 GA-990FXA-UD3 XFX HD 4870 1GB Corsair (12gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x1TB Caviar Black OCZ Vertex 60gb H50 W7 64-bit / Fedora 17 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
V7 22" Logitech Deluxe 250 Antec TruePower 750W Modular Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Big Watercooling Plans