Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Vertex 3 list as IDE in System BIOS????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vertex 3 list as IDE in System BIOS????

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
Hi all

I've just installed a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and I've just noticed that when I look in the system BIOS the drive is listed as “ [IDE VERTEX 3] “ in the Boot Device Priority and Hard Drives section.

Can anyone please tell me why the Vertex has IDE before its name when I have all the Marvell and Intel Sata controllers set to AHCI.

The Drive is connected to the Marvell 9128 6gb controller and the motherboard is a Rampage 3 Extreme (BIOS 1005) by the way.
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_dust View Post
Hi all

I've just installed a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and I've just noticed that when I look in the system BIOS the drive is listed as “ [IDE VERTEX 3] “ in the Boot Device Priority and Hard Drives section.

Can anyone please tell me why the Vertex has IDE before its name when I have all the Marvell and Intel Sata controllers set to AHCI.

The Drive is connected to the Marvell 9128 6gb controller and the motherboard is a Rampage 3 Extreme (BIOS 1005) by the way.
It's just a generic term when listed next to the drive. As long as the controller is set to AHCI or RAID, you're good to go.

I would actually recommend setting it to RAID before you install Windows. Running in RAID is no different than AHCI as far as running the single drive is concerned, except that you can always add an array later on.
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post
It's just a generic term when listed next to the drive. As long as the controller is set to AHCI or RAID, you're good to go.

I would actually recommend setting it to RAID before you install Windows. Running in RAID is no different than AHCI as far as running the single drive is concerned, except that you can always add an array later on.
Except when in RAID, you lose TRIM. TRIM is very important to the continued health of an SSD.
Felix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) 2x GIGABYTE GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 510 120GB & WD Caviar Black 1TB LITE-ON iHAS324 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 23" E2340 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 OCZ ModXStream-Pro 700W Rosewill Blackbone Logitech MX400 
  hide details  
Reply
Felix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) 2x GIGABYTE GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 510 120GB & WD Caviar Black 1TB LITE-ON iHAS324 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 23" E2340 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 OCZ ModXStream-Pro 700W Rosewill Blackbone Logitech MX400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAudit View Post
Except when in RAID, you lose TRIM. TRIM is very important to the continued health of an SSD.
I didn't mean put the SSD in RAID. I meant he could add other HDDs in RAID, like my Hitachis in RAID1 for instance. Just the controller being set to RAID in the BIOS doesn't turn off TRIM for a singular SSD. It's only if you make make an array using the SSD that you lose it.
Edited by Kaldari - 6/14/11 at 12:20am
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Vertex 3 list as IDE in System BIOS????