Overclock.net banner

best router for moding

730 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Coolwaters 
#1 ·
need to upgrade my router still using a the really old blue linksys router...

im planning to make a acrylic case of the new router along with sticking heatsinks on it with a fan.

so it needs to be dd-wrt compatible..

im leaning towards WNDR3700 right now.

anyone have a dual band router that they can recommend?

#5 ·
There is no real point to put any great effort into to actively cooling a router in hopes of "overclocking" it. Routers don't operate on the same premise as a PC, where if you use a form of active cooling you can increase the voltage to bump up clock speeds. Routers route packets with a physical limit based on their supported hardware, firmware or operating system.

If you look at the specs of your router you will see a maximum packets per second (pps) which is based on the architecture of the device. Running it at absolute zero won't help your router any more then its own physical limitations.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsee;13916254
There is no real point to put any great effort into to actively cooling a router in hopes of "overclocking" it. Routers don't operate on the same premise as a PC, where if you use a form of active cooling you can increase the voltage to bump up clock speeds. Routers route packets with a physical limit based on their supported hardware, firmware or operating system.

If you look at the specs of your router you will see a maximum packets per second (pps) which is based on the architecture of the device. Running it at absolute zero won't help your router any more then its own physical limitations.
how do u explain when it over heats i get disconnected all the time and have really slow speeds?

the internet was used by so many people (4 on ports and 3 on air)
iv noticed the worst performance when someone streams movies (PPS/youtube or live stream movies)

i know for a fact that a normal out of the factory router will not withstand such onslaught so might as well add heatsinks to see if it makes a difference.

i wont go overboard with it.

#9 ·
You know you can build one. You just won't really be able to find a board with a processor that goes over 680mhz which can only bring you to the 150mb/s range but I think that's more than enough since the highest I've seen for speed is 150mb/s download and 35mb/s upload from Verizon which is too expensive and overkill to me. You can make your own case. I would say build it. You can make one for less than $200. Most of the processors are around 300mhz (10-20mb/s) and 500mhz (21-50mb/s). If you really want something like the WNDR3700 for speed, I would just take out the board and stuff and make a custom case along with some wc if you want.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters;13863457
need to upgrade my router still using a the really old blue linksys router...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters;13924534
how do u explain when it over heats i get disconnected all the time and have really slow speeds?
It's old, that's why. The CPU/RAM on that thing easily get pegged with few devices.

Also, do you have any proof it's 'overheating' or are just stating a baseless assumption?

Adding HSF isn't going to do squat, you'd be better off putting the investment into a decent device, instead.
The WNDR3700 as stated should be fine for your requirements as it is out of the box.
Quote:
i know for a fact that a normal out of the factory router will not withstand such onslaught so might as well add heatsinks to see if it makes a difference.
doh.gif

Quote:
You already are.

#11 ·
I'm eventually to lightly mod my Asus N16 - it does run warm so I'll be adding heatsinks to it to see if it helps some. It's already sitting on a laptop cooling pad attached to my PC's usb cable. I bought a slightly more powerful power adapter for the router so I can put the pad on it's usb when I move everything to a more permanent home later :p

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;13926475
It's old, that's why. The CPU/RAM on that thing easily get pegged with few devices.

Also, do you have any proof it's 'overheating' or are just stating a baseless assumption?

Adding HSF isn't going to do squat, you'd be better off putting the investment into a decent device, instead.
The WNDR3700 as stated should be fine for your requirements as it is out of the box.

doh.gif

You already are.
not overboard as in the water cooling kit in the link above...

also why are u discouraging me? i honestly believe the unheatsinked and unventilated routers are overheating and slowing down/ crashing.

i work at a test house running test on server type switch ports and their only go up to 85c and after that the chip starts the degrade and fail.

but i'll test the router without and then with the heatsinks/fan.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters;13934630
not overboard as in the water cooling kit in the link above...

also why are u discouraging me? i honestly believe the unheatsinked and unventilated routers are overheating and slowing down/ crashing.

i work at a test house running test on server type switch ports and their only go up to 85c and after that the chip starts the degrade and fail.

but i'll test the router without and then with the heatsinks/fan.
I'm not trying to berate you, as a networking professional I can see this is an obvious waste of money. Therefore, am indicating accordingly.

Feel free though, it's your equipment/funding.
Personally when there are equipment issues I prefer to have solid data (temperature measurements, for one) before randomly attempting to diagnose an issue where you may not have any real clue as to the root cause.

I'd put a fairly large sum of cash on the line that once you get away from that ancient Linksys router, you will notice your WAN experience a lot less erratic, out of the box in stock form.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters;13924534

the internet was used by so many people (4 on ports and 3 on air)
iv noticed the worst performance when someone streams movies (PPS/youtube or live stream movies)

what are you going to cool on it? They use dram to store the stuff. There's nothing to cool.

You want to waste money waste it on this puppy
ASUS Black Diamond Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router (RT-N56U)

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony;13945609
what price range are you looking at? When your done like to see some picks. It would look neat lol just make sure you cool the right parts. Have you tried it with a amplifier yet?
internet was performing very poorly when there is high traffic. it was fine for the first day though.

im swinging by the acrylic shop this weekend to pick up some panels.

man this months been killer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.