Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Exophase] EA Pulls Crysis 2 from Steam Store, Now ‘Only On Origin'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Exophase] EA Pulls Crysis 2 from Steam Store, Now ‘Only On Origin' - Page 54  

post #531 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Thats because this is the Steam fanboi thread....
It's not about being a fanboy. It's about EA being extremely late to the digital distribution game. Steam has dug itself in comfortably and majority of the gamers here already have it installed. I personally don't want two frontends running to play my games from different publishers.

What EA is doing is simply attempting to leverage their popular IP to convince consumers to use their services. EA has a poor track record of keeping their customers happy while Valve generally did well.

Simple as that. Valve is popular, EA is the giant faceless jerks with a history of bad publicity and douchebaggery.

I prefer Steam as a result. That does not make me a fanboy.
Corsair 800D
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A EVGA GTX980 Classified Kingston Anniversary Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 256 and 1TB LG Blu Ray Writer Win10 64 BenQ 27 144Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Red Corsair RM1000i Corsair 800D Logitech Proteus Spectrum Core blah blah blah 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Glass Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Corsair 800D
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A EVGA GTX980 Classified Kingston Anniversary Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 256 and 1TB LG Blu Ray Writer Win10 64 BenQ 27 144Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Red Corsair RM1000i Corsair 800D Logitech Proteus Spectrum Core blah blah blah 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Glass Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
post #532 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikersSU View Post
It's not about being a fanboy. It's about EA being extremely late to the digital distribution game. Steam has dug itself in comfortably and majority of the gamers here already have it installed. I personally don't want two frontends running to play my games from different publishers.

What EA is doing is simply attempting to leverage their popular IP to convince consumers to use their services. EA has a poor track record of keeping their customers happy while Valve generally did well.

Simple as that. Valve is popular, EA is the giant faceless jerks with a history of bad publicity and douchebaggery.

I prefer Steam as a result. That does not make me a fanboy.
UMMM. you do know that EA didnt pull crysis 2. Steam removed it.

Origin is also not new, its been around since 2005 as EADM, it simply had a name change.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
post #533 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
UMMM. you do know that EA didnt pull crysis 2. Steam removed it.

Origin is also not new, its been around since 2005 as EADM, it simply had a name change.
So. Steam came out in 2003. And EADM was just that, EA. Steam has a bunch of different games on it, not just EA. Plus Steam is much more than a download manager.

iPod touch was like 2007. Zune HD 2009. Nuff said. Personally I liked the zune better. Didn't have all the apps though, so it doesn't mean crap if you can't dig yourself a market.

I'm not trying to say which one will be better, it's just that 99% of PC gamers are already invested in Steam. I'm sorry.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
post #534 of 606
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
UMMM. you do know that EA didnt pull crysis 2. Steam removed it.

Origin is also not new, its been around since 2005 as EADM, it simply had a name change.
The point is that Steam is sort of like an iTunes for games and a lot of us have dozens [...some of us, hundreds ] on Steam already. Using another service too doesn't really work. For example, I picked up the Necrovision sequel on Capsule's "service" [...and I use that term loosely] only because it was completely free. I haven't played it, I keep forgetting I even have it as the whole thing is an afterthought in comparison to Steam.

I certainly wouldn't make a 2nd large library on a 2nd service, especially a "service" run by EA. Best for me to just not support it and hope enough other do as well so that EA loses enough money to cave. Remember, if EA is being pulled because they are choosing to adhere to one DL service agreement over another then it isn't Steams fault EA didn't choose their agreement.
Mobile Gamer IV
(8 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMOptical Drive
i7 4710HQ Nvidia GTX 980m 8GB 16GB [2x8GB] 1600MHz Blu-ray Burner 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 8.1 x64 Steel Series Full-Color Programmable 230w Power Brick MSI GT72 DOMINATOR 
  hide details  
Mobile Gamer IV
(8 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMOptical Drive
i7 4710HQ Nvidia GTX 980m 8GB 16GB [2x8GB] 1600MHz Blu-ray Burner 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 8.1 x64 Steel Series Full-Color Programmable 230w Power Brick MSI GT72 DOMINATOR 
  hide details  
post #535 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post
So. Steam came out in 2003. And EADM was just that, EA. Steam has a bunch of different games on it, not just EA. Plus Steam is much more than a download manager.

iPod touch was like 2007. Zune HD 2009. Nuff said. Personally I liked the zune better. Didn't have all the apps though, so it doesn't mean crap if you can't dig yourself a market.

I'm not trying to say which one will be better, it's just that 99% of PC gamers are already invested in Steam. I'm sorry.
im invested in whoever provides the better deals, along with most gamers. If all pc gamers loved steam. no one would use the dozens of other online retailers.

even steam started out small, and only with valves products, no one says that origin wont improve, and get bigger and better.

They are building a huge social network around battlefield 3. Wouldnt it be nice to have it integrated with origin allowing you to post videos of your gameplay and other things straight to friends on the program. Dice cant do that with steam, not to the level they want.

Last thing i want is steam to be the only online retailer, which will happen if they get their way. Causing is to get crap deals because of lack of competition. I get more games from d2d than anywhere else. i have said over 40% on a preorder several times there. you just watch for the deals. I payed $42 for my battlefield 3 preorder. Try and get that from steam.
Edited by Vhati - 6/16/11 at 9:23am
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
post #536 of 606
I don't see myself buying anything from EA's online store.
post #537 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
UMMM. you do know that EA didnt pull crysis 2. Steam removed it.

Origin is also not new, its been around since 2005 as EADM, it simply had a name change.
I've had Steam since it was first released with HL2. I don't want two different clients to accomodate different titles. I prefer to have one. Therefore, I will stick with Steam. That doesn't make me a fanboy.

Another thing that irks me is the fact that EA is spitting on the good name that Origin used to be by using it as their services name. You can try to deconstruct my points but the fact still remains: People want a single client for their digital library. EADM sucked back then thanks to Digital River's stupid policies. After six years, I'll stick with Steam thanks.

Steam pulling a title because it could not be the sole proprietor of DLC doesn't change the fact that EA still left a bad taste in many people's mouths over the years - me being one of them. Troll elsewhere.
Corsair 800D
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A EVGA GTX980 Classified Kingston Anniversary Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 256 and 1TB LG Blu Ray Writer Win10 64 BenQ 27 144Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Red Corsair RM1000i Corsair 800D Logitech Proteus Spectrum Core blah blah blah 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Glass Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Corsair 800D
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A EVGA GTX980 Classified Kingston Anniversary Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 256 and 1TB LG Blu Ray Writer Win10 64 BenQ 27 144Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Red Corsair RM1000i Corsair 800D Logitech Proteus Spectrum Core blah blah blah 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Glass Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
post #538 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikersSU View Post
I've had Steam since it was first released with HL2. I don't want two different clients to accomodate different titles. I prefer to have one. Therefore, I will stick with Steam. That doesn't make me a fanboy.

Another thing that irks me is the fact that EA is spitting on the good name that Origin used to be by using it as their services name. You can try to deconstruct my points but the fact still remains: People want a single client for their digital library. EADM sucked back then thanks to Digital River's stupid policies. After six years, I'll stick with Steam thanks.

Steam pulling a title because it could not be the sole proprietor of DLC doesn't change the fact that EA still left a bad taste in many people's mouths over the years - me being one of them. Troll elsewhere.
im not trolling, im posting my opinion, along with some facts on the subject, just like you are.

Steam has left a bad taste in my mouth at times also, but i still use it at times. I didnt even pre order anything from origin yet, i bought battlefield 3 on D2D, but i will buy from origin if the prices are right, the same as i would on steam, or impulse, or amazon, or gamestop, you get the picture.

I am loyal to the developer, not to some retailer.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
post #539 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
im invested in whoever provides the better deals, along with most gamers. If all pc gamers loved steam. no one would use the dozens of other online retailers.

even steam started out small, and only with valves products, no one says that origin wont improve, and get bigger and better.

They are building a huge social network around battlefield 3. Wouldnt it be nice to have it integrated with origin allowing you to post videos of your gameplay and other things straight to friends on the program. Dice cant do that with steam, not to the level they want.

Last thing i want is steam to be the only online retailer, which will happen if they get their way. Causing is to get crap deals because of lack of competition. I get more games from d2d than anywhere else. i have said over 40% on a preorder several times there. you just watch for the deals. I payed $42 for my battlefield 3 preorder. Try and get that from steam.
yes and im sure u'll remind me that valve sold their games exclusively on steam as well. but honestly tell me a valve game that was or will be as HUGE as BF3. from a business point of view no matter how much you want to launch your own service etc. you don't look away from free money, and if they were to put BF3 on steam they would rake it in
post #540 of 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteg View Post
yes and im sure u'll remind me that valve sold their games exclusively on steam as well. but honestly tell me a valve game that was or will be as HUGE as BF3. from a business point of view no matter how much you want to launch your own service etc. you don't look away from free money, and if they were to put BF3 on steam they would rake it in
yes, yes they would, but does that mean that steam has the right to force EA to give them a cut of the DLC profits?

There is a reason we arent seeing a battlefield 3 preorder on steam, but it is appearing elsewhere, like direct2drive.

Steam is trying to force publishers into a deal that increases their revenue, at the expense of EA's, while no other retailer online, or physical is doing the same.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Exophase] EA Pulls Crysis 2 from Steam Store, Now ‘Only On Origin'