Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Raid5 broke after I unhooked it haha ... help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raid5 broke after I unhooked it haha ... help?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I had to unhook all my drives and when I hooked everything back up, one of my raid drives fell off. How can I add it back in?

I looked around the net, but cannot seem to find any guide worth a crap on how to do this... Is there a way to do this inside windows? I tried extending the volume but that does not seem to work, I get an error when I do it.

I am on an AMD system so not sure if that matters...
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
Are you doing hardware RAID through your motherbaord or on a raid controller?
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
through my mobo
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
When I unhooked my raid the other day, I made damn well sure that I labeled and wrote down how i had them hooked up to make sure they went back exactly the same.

sorry for your loss. hope you get it fixed.
post #5 of 10
Remember where you set up your raid array, you have to go back in there and the software should tell you that you are missing a drive. Im am guessing you have 2 drives still in the RAID5...if not, you have no hope

If you still have 2 intact, then you will just plug in the 3rd one and you will have to re-add it to the array so that it will rebuild itself. There should be an option to add another drive to your RAID 5 without recreating it. Just...whatever you do, dont recreate it, you want to add it. You also want them plugged into the same sata ports as the were.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
When I unhooked my raid the other day, I made damn well sure that I labeled and wrote down how i had them hooked up to make sure they went back exactly the same.

sorry for your loss. hope you get it fixed.
Ya I completely forgot about doing that ... I was in a hurry haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
Remember where you set up your raid array, you have to go back in there and the software should tell you that you are missing a drive. Im am guessing you have 2 drives still in the RAID5...if not, you have no hope

If you still have 2 intact, then you will just plug in the 3rd one and you will have to re-add it to the array so that it will rebuild itself. There should be an option to add another drive to your RAID 5 without recreating it. Just...whatever you do, dont recreate it, you want to add it. You also want them plugged into the same sata ports as the were.
I looked for the add in, but for some reason I could not find it in the Raid options. It is a Biostar mobo if that helps.
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
It might just be a really crappy raid controller. I would figure if it has RAID 5 as an option, you should be able to add another hard drive to rebuild the array or else there is no point in a RAID 5. I wish I knew biostars better so that I could help you. I would just keep searching around until you can find an "add" option, you might have just missed it. It might also be a key stroke to enter it while the mobo is checking the raid status.

Edit: Whats the exact model?
post #8 of 10
I'd have a got at unplugging and replugging in the sata leads into different ports hopefully to get the right combination, worth a try
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k MSI Z68MA-ED55-B3 Powercolor AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1333 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 x 1TB Samsung F3s + WD siliconedge 64GB SSD Sony AD-7240S Windows 7 64bit Corsair 650W TX 
Case
Antec mini p180 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k MSI Z68MA-ED55-B3 Powercolor AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1333 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 x 1TB Samsung F3s + WD siliconedge 64GB SSD Sony AD-7240S Windows 7 64bit Corsair 650W TX 
Case
Antec mini p180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
It might just be a really crappy raid controller. I would figure if it has RAID 5 as an option, you should be able to add another hard drive to rebuild the array or else there is no point in a RAID 5. I wish I knew biostars better so that I could help you. I would just keep searching around until you can find an "add" option, you might have just missed it. It might also be a key stroke to enter it while the mobo is checking the raid status.

Edit: Whats the exact model?
this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaterboydale View Post
I'd have a got at unplugging and replugging in the sata leads into different ports hopefully to get the right combination, worth a try
lol it is about to come to that ...
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
920 asus rampage III extreme Nvidia 580 6gb mushkin 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster P2770 hx750w corsair 
Case
Silverstone TJ-10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Yea well the manual is flippin usless, my next step would be calling biostar and make them help me add another drive to the RAID 5 or play the sata port guessing game. Either way its really gonna suck lol. Good luck to you though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Raid5 broke after I unhooked it haha ... help?