Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › New CPU + cooling questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New CPU + cooling questions

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 


Got my 955BE today, liking it so far. Running my RAM at rated speeds with decent timings. Although it's hitting 56C at stock clocks. (should go down once the AS5 cures) This just won't do. Too hot. My TX3 needs to be replaced, but what with?
post #2 of 11
did you apply the TIM using the "dot" method?

The tx3 isn't that great, those temps are probably normal.
The Butthurt Box
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P67 Professional AMD Radeon HD 6950 unlock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2gb 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws G.Skill Ripjaws Intel X25-V Seagate Barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Goflex USB 3.0 24x DVD R/W DL Win7 Ultermate 64 Acer 20in 1600x900 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Compaq 20in 1600x900 17in Dell 1280x1024 19in Gateway 1280x1024 Razer Blackwidow mech w/ cherry MX blues 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Kingwin LZ-750 HAF 932 + sound activated lights Logitech G500 Rosewill USB headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 3.2ghz w/ HT HP Intel IGP 4gb Mushkin DDR2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
80gb sata WinXP Pro HP OEM HP Small form factor 
  hide details  
Reply
The Butthurt Box
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P67 Professional AMD Radeon HD 6950 unlock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2gb 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws G.Skill Ripjaws Intel X25-V Seagate Barracuda 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Goflex USB 3.0 24x DVD R/W DL Win7 Ultermate 64 Acer 20in 1600x900 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Compaq 20in 1600x900 17in Dell 1280x1024 19in Gateway 1280x1024 Razer Blackwidow mech w/ cherry MX blues 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Kingwin LZ-750 HAF 932 + sound activated lights Logitech G500 Rosewill USB headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 3.2ghz w/ HT HP Intel IGP 4gb Mushkin DDR2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
80gb sata WinXP Pro HP OEM HP Small form factor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfan844 View Post
did you apply the TIM using the "dot" method?

The tx3 isn't that great, those temps are probably normal.
Of course I used the dot method, only way to I am using push/pull though, not the stock fan.

What do you recommend for a cooler?
post #4 of 11
good deal on this one. $24 after rebate- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233040

The Dark knight is on sale too and comes with a free card reader if you happen to need one of those.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029

these are cost conscious recommendations.

The silver arrow or the nh-d14 would be top of the line air coolers.

Your temps are too high. Enjoy your 955 be. It's a great chip and overclocks well
Edited by bob808 - 6/15/11 at 6:08pm
MKG-Cosmos II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 DO oc'd to 4.25Ghz EVGA 3-way Sli Classified 2x480 SLI 3x2g Corsair CMG6GX3M3A2000C7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Intel ssd, 2x300g raptors (0), 2x1 TB RE3 (0 Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, 22x dvd burner custom loop Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W3000H, dell ultra-sharp 24" Ducky 'OCN' with brown hx1000 Cosmos II 
MouseMouse Pad
mionix naos 5000 steelseries SX 
  hide details  
Reply
MKG-Cosmos II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 DO oc'd to 4.25Ghz EVGA 3-way Sli Classified 2x480 SLI 3x2g Corsair CMG6GX3M3A2000C7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Intel ssd, 2x300g raptors (0), 2x1 TB RE3 (0 Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, 22x dvd burner custom loop Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W3000H, dell ultra-sharp 24" Ducky 'OCN' with brown hx1000 Cosmos II 
MouseMouse Pad
mionix naos 5000 steelseries SX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Anything other than the TX3. The max temps for Phenoms is something around 62. And you're already almost there.

I say pick up something beastly like a Thermalright Silver Arrow or a Noctua NH-D14, if your case permits.

Plenty of overclocking headroom with those beasts.

Or if you're into coolers that don't look like they'll snap your motherboard (which they won't, FYI) I suggest waiting a couple weeks and pick up either the Corsair H100 or the Corsair H80. Bit pricey but they should perform very well for an all in one water cooler.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob808 View Post
good deal on this one. $24 after rebate- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233040

The Dark knight is on sale too and comes with a free card reader if you happen to need one of those.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029

these are cost conscious recommendations.

The silver arrow or the nh-d14 would be top of the line air coolers.

Your temps are too high. Enjoy your 955 be. It's a great chip and overclocks well
Thanks. I'm in Australia though so newegg is no good. What do you recommend from www.pccasegear.com.au ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
Anything other than the TX3. The max temps for Phenoms is something around 62. And you're already almost there.

I say pick up something beastly like a Thermalright Silver Arrow or a Noctua NH-D14, if your case permits.

Plenty of overclocking headroom with those beasts.

Or if you're into coolers that don't look like they'll snap your motherboard (which they won't, FYI) I suggest waiting a couple weeks and pick up either the Corsair H100 or the Corsair H80. Bit pricey but they should perform very well for an all in one water cooler.
I'll have a look at those two, IIRC they are $89/$99 on the website I posted. I'm looking for something about $60, maybe the CM V6GT?
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
Thanks. I'm in Australia though so newegg is no good. What do you recommend from www.pccasegear.com.au ?



I'll have a look at those two, IIRC they are $89/$99 on the website I posted. I'm looking for something about $60, maybe the CM V6GT?
V6GT isn't bad, but you could also check out the Thermaltake Frio. Should be around the same $$.

EDIT: It's about $10 more.
Edited by blackbalt89 - 6/15/11 at 6:42pm
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
V6GT isn't bad, but you could also check out the Thermaltake Frio. Should be around the same $$.
I like the look of the GT better than the Frio, so I guess I'll go with that. Thanks guys.
post #9 of 11
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K AsRock P67 Extreme 4 MSI R6870 Hawk 1GB 16 Gb G.SKILL RipJaws Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 60gb SSD + 6.5 TB Lite On Windows 7 Professional Samsung SyncMaster P2350 
PowerCaseMouse
Consair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Scout G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K AsRock P67 Extreme 4 MSI R6870 Hawk 1GB 16 Gb G.SKILL RipJaws Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 60gb SSD + 6.5 TB Lite On Windows 7 Professional Samsung SyncMaster P2350 
PowerCaseMouse
Consair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Scout G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
I like the look of the GT better than the Frio, so I guess I'll go with that. Thanks guys.
There's nothing wrong with the V6GT, I was just suggesting a similar product.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › New CPU + cooling questions