Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Best Sidegrade: Phenom II B55 to Sandy Bridge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Sidegrade: Phenom II B55 to Sandy Bridge - Page 3

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
Although in games like BC2 he'd get higher FPS with a quadcore.
Not really, sorry.



Source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/7

You can see the dual core i3 2100 (Sandy Bridge) beating a varied number of multi core CPUs, ranging from duals, tri-cores, quads and even a 6-core CPU. And practically matching the Phenom II 975.

Notice how all the CPUs that are above it, are Intel's own quad-core CPUs.

Like I said, architecture matters more than cores.
Edited by PanicProne - 6/16/11 at 11:42am
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
Not really, sorry.



Source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/7

You can see the dual core i3 2100 (Sandy Bridge) beating a varied number of multi core CPUs, ranging from duals, tri-cores, quads and even a 6-core CPU. And practically matching the Phenom II 975.

Notice how all the CPUs that are above it, are Intel's own quad-core CPUs.

Like I said, architecture matters more than cores.
I know that arch matters more, I am tired of seeing more cores(only reason I want the 6 core sandy is for the cache), but the quads generally do better in that game. The 970 beats the 2100 in it. IPC needs to be alot higher now.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
I know that arch matters more, I am tired of seeing more cores(only reason I want the 6 core sandy is for the cache), but the quads generally do better in that game. The 970 beats the 2100 in it. IPC needs to be alot higher now.
Where do you see the 970 beating the i3 2100 in BC2?

I sure don't.
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 33
A wild Anthrax appears!

Anthrax uses confusing statement! . . . Panic is confused!

Panic uses facts! . . . it's not very effective . . .
   
Little Big Build
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asrock z77e itx EVGA GTX 980 ACX Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Wester Digital Scorpio Black Mushkin Chronos Deluxe Swiftech H20-220 Elite Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-s3hs x2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7  Yamakasi Leonidas 30" 2560x1600 (LG) Ducky Shine II Silverstone 450w Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lazerwerx Custom Razer Naga Cyber Snipa XL Corsair Vengeance 1500 
Other
Lamptron FC Touch Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 750k Black Gigabyte FM2 A85x Wifi AMD 6950 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force SSD Cooler Master Seidon 120 Ubuntu Built In 
Case
Aluminum Briefcase 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asrock z77 itx asus gtx 670 crucial ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital caviar black mushkin chronos deluxe  corsair h100 w/ 4x Cougar Vortex windows 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Yamakasi Leonidas 30" 2560x1600 razer blackwidow ultimate seasonic x750 bitfenix prodigy 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Naga corsair vengeance 1500 Lamptron Touch fan controller 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Little Big Build
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asrock z77e itx EVGA GTX 980 ACX Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Wester Digital Scorpio Black Mushkin Chronos Deluxe Swiftech H20-220 Elite Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-s3hs x2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7  Yamakasi Leonidas 30" 2560x1600 (LG) Ducky Shine II Silverstone 450w Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lazerwerx Custom Razer Naga Cyber Snipa XL Corsair Vengeance 1500 
Other
Lamptron FC Touch Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 750k Black Gigabyte FM2 A85x Wifi AMD 6950 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force SSD Cooler Master Seidon 120 Ubuntu Built In 
Case
Aluminum Briefcase 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k asrock z77 itx asus gtx 670 crucial ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital caviar black mushkin chronos deluxe  corsair h100 w/ 4x Cougar Vortex windows 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Yamakasi Leonidas 30" 2560x1600 razer blackwidow ultimate seasonic x750 bitfenix prodigy 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Naga corsair vengeance 1500 Lamptron Touch fan controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU View Post
A wild Anthrax appears!

Anthrax uses confusing statement! . . . Panic is confused!

Panic uses facts! . . . it's not very effective . . .
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
Where do you see the 970 beating the i3 2100 in BC2?

I sure don't.
Sorry, 975. Still is ahead of it on that chart. Although I want to know how they benched that, cause the 2500k should do better than the 990x.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 33
At Microcenter you can get the i3 2100 for $100 and a mobo for $40 off. There are some mobo's that are cost $20 total after a rebate and the instant savings.

LGA1155 i3 2100 + mobo for $120? Just do it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  MSI z68ma-EP55 4870 1GB 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-20) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ V2 SSD and lots of mech drives DVD-ROM Windows 7 chronic edition BENQ 1680X1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Kinesis Freestyle PC Power and Cooling 610watt Lian Li PC-A04B wowpen joy 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  MSI z68ma-EP55 4870 1GB 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1333 (7-7-7-20) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ V2 SSD and lots of mech drives DVD-ROM Windows 7 chronic edition BENQ 1680X1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Kinesis Freestyle PC Power and Cooling 610watt Lian Li PC-A04B wowpen joy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
I know there is a GPU bottleneck. I was just saying that the i3 is slightly slower, which it shows that it. Way to fly off the handle and act all high and mighty, while thinking I was thinking the CPU drives the game.
You say you know what a GPU bottleneck is, and yet, a couple of posts above you said the following: "I'd like to know how they tested it because the 2500k should be faster than the 990x".

If it was all that clear to you, you wouldn't have said that, because it's pretty clear the GPU was the limiting factor there.
Edited by PanicProne - 6/16/11 at 2:04pm
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
You say you know what a GPU bottleneck is, and yet, a couple of posts above you said the following: "I'd like to know how they tested it because the 2500k should be faster than the 990x".

If it was all that clear to you, you wouldn't have said that, because it's pretty clear the GPU was the limiting factor there.
I know that, but seeing how the 970 is slightly slower makes me wonder. The 990x should be at the 970 level. Don't have to be a massive dick about things.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxinsoup View Post
I know that, but seeing how the 970 is slightly slower makes me wonder. The 990x should be at the 970 level. Don't have to be a massive dick about things.
Again, you're wrong. They don't have to be at the same level, because if that was the case, the 970 wouldn't cost 500$ and the 990x 1000$.

The i7 990x is actually a bit faster than the i7 970 because of the clock speed, and clock speed still matters, especially among CPUs of the same architecture.

i7 970: 3.2ghz

i7 990x: 3.46ghz.


Makes perfect sense to me.
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
Again, you're wrong. They don't have to be at the same level, because if that was the case, the 970 wouldn't cost 500$ and the 990x 1000$.

The i7 990x is actually a bit faster than the i7 970 because of the clock speed, and clock speed still matters, especially among CPUs of the same architecture.

i7 970: 3.2ghz

i7 990x: 3.46ghz.


Makes perfect sense to me.
My bad, I thought the 990x was just 3.3 and the 970 was 3.2.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Lapped@4GHz/201x20/1.392VHTON/1.372VHTOFF ASrock extreme p55 Powercolour 6970s in CF@950C/1500M@1.175(stock V) Kingston HyperX T1 4GB 2133MHz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 ultimate x64 ELETT221 @ 1920x1080 Microsoft curve Antec High Current Gamer 750w 
Mouse
iHome Fast Track Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Best Sidegrade: Phenom II B55 to Sandy Bridge