Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCgamer] EA : “we’d like to be the worldwide leader in digital publishing"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCgamer] EA : “we’d like to be the worldwide leader in digital publishing" - Page 7

post #61 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post
but if they are exclusive to Origin then it isn't competition. If people want the game they have to go to them. They could be charging $80 for BF3 and if we want it...we have to pay it. There are no other competitors we could buy it from.

Though I am assuming that there will be retail boxes...though that day is going to come when retail boxes go away. Especially for games that are strongly multiplayer centered where any customer would need to have broad band Internet. I am betting the people that buy BF3 for the single player campain will be less then 1% of total sales. No way to proove that though
your argument is false. if they want to charge 80 bucks for BF3 on Origin, it would probably be 80 bucks on Direct2Drive (yes you can buy it there still) at Best Buy, at Amazon, at Walmart.. shall I go on?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp View Post
It will still be a monopoly, even more so than now in a way. The whole controversy is that EA likely will pull its games from Steam. The only way this will be beneficial is if EA brings in a lot of other games and offers them at prices competitive to Steam.
the entire controversy is a lie. EA never pulled anything. Steam removed it because EA wouldnt agree to Steams outrageous new terms on DLC(we dont have facts on the DLC part, but it seems to be true.)

I can still buy all the games EA has available on D2D, impulse, and other places. Steam made the decision to try and push their market control on EA, EA stood its ground. Steams greed cost everyone money, and costs Steams customers the ability to buy popular new games on their favorite platform.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar View Post
And just explain to me how you can improve your rep if you act like you don't care about PC platform itself?

Just compare Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. ME2 is a good action game, but that's just it... Where are those RPG elements from ME1? Inventory? Exploring planets on your own in a vehicle? They cut all those things from ME2 and made it a third person shooter, which is great, but it's dumbed down obviously.

Then compare Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2... I won't even bother with this comparison.

FIFA? Why would they release different versions on PC and consoles? Obviously the console version is alot better and until FIFA11 they were selling the same FIFA for years on PC. They also said that PC can't run the console version of FIFA. FIFA12 will also be different on PC and consoles.

And then there was Dead Space, both 1 and 2, which was released on PC with consolised controls which made it have negative acceleration when played on PC. They just didn't care enough to atleast optimise it for PC.

I do like some of their games, I don't deny that... For an example BF3 looks like it's going to be awesome, and I don't doubt it at all.

EAs rep as a company in the late 90s and early 2000s was that of a industry giant who cared little about customer satisfaction and just wanted to generate as much cash a possible quality be screwed. The spanned all platforms they made games for. They were worse then activision is today.

Mass Effect was designed from the very beginning for consoles..,not PC. Mass Effect 2 is leaps and bounds a better game than Mass Effect. I own both titles for Xbox and on PC. I actually enjoy the PC version better due to the kb/mouse advantage. Mass Effect is a third person shooter with some rpg elements. The eliminated some of the more unwanted rpg elements to better satisfy the target audience Mass Effect was made in the first place....

Dragon Age 2 was a disaster. The got drunk of the success of ME2 and forgot they DA and ME have completely different target audience. Dragon Age as the spiritual successor of Baldur gate held a special place in PC gamers hearts. Making it into ME2 copy kat was biggest fail of this year.

Fifa also designed for Console. Why should EA put effort into making the PC version exactly the same as the console version when there is no chance of making return on investment? EA profit on PC version of FiFA is laughable. Dead Space also was designed for

Really tired of the whole QQ PC gamers have for getting the shaft. Many of you need to look at the business perspective. Consoles is where the money is at. Companies will make console games and then try and make some extra change off of PC. I try to avoid those games. The fact that EA does have games like BF3 and ToR...ToR being the most expensive game on any platform to be developed....makes me believe that EA is dedicated like Valve and Blizzard to the PC market in many ways.
Edited by esco - 6/16/11 at 11:41am
Red Mamba
(12 items)
 
Little Titan
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 6700k MSI Gaming M7 MSI 980ti Gaming 6G MSI 980ti Gaming 6G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 3200 Samsung 840 256GB Samsung 840 1TB EVO Corsair H100i GTX 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 10 Pro Corsasir Strafe RGB Stealth NZXT H440 Corsair RGB M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz P8Z77-I Deluxe Palit GTX Titan @ Stock GSkill Sniper 16gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OS: Samsung 840 256gb Storage: Seagate 2Tb Corsair H100i Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCase
Corsair HX 750 Bitfenix Prodigy  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Mamba
(12 items)
 
Little Titan
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 6700k MSI Gaming M7 MSI 980ti Gaming 6G MSI 980ti Gaming 6G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 3200 Samsung 840 256GB Samsung 840 1TB EVO Corsair H100i GTX 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 10 Pro Corsasir Strafe RGB Stealth NZXT H440 Corsair RGB M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz P8Z77-I Deluxe Palit GTX Titan @ Stock GSkill Sniper 16gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OS: Samsung 840 256gb Storage: Seagate 2Tb Corsair H100i Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCase
Corsair HX 750 Bitfenix Prodigy  
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
the entire controversy is a lie. EA never pulled anything. Steam removed it because EA wouldnt agree to Steams outrageous new terms on DLC(we dont have facts on the DLC part, but it seems to be true.)

I can still buy all the games EA has available on D2D, impulse, and other places. Steam made the decision to try and push their market control on EA, EA stood its ground. Steams greed cost everyone money, and costs Steams customers the ability to buy popular new games on their favorite platform.
I guess my post was a bit hypothetical. Sorry about that. Believe me, I have no love for Steam and no special dislike for EA. The whole DD landscape is rather frustrating to me to be honest. I wish publishers were willing to go with the GOG model...
post #65 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
Why does there need to be more competition? A publisher tells Steam their title is a $60 title. Then it is a $60 title. What does "competition" do for the consumer?

Steam ain't perfect but it is established and not going to disappear any time soon.
That's not how it works. Read up on the other threads, it's been said that Steam bullies other companies for sales, usually the smaller ones since they need distribution services like Steam.

If there are more services to choose from, Steam can no longer bully others because there are good alternatives. Hence, Steam will have to come up with something good to continue making the same amount of profit.
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by esco View Post
Really tired of the whole QQ PC gamers have for getting the shaft. Many of you need to look at the business perspective. Consoles is where the money is at. Companies will make console games and then try and make some extra change off of PC. I try to avoid those games. The fact that EA does have fames like BF3 and ToR...ToR being the most expensive fame on any platform to be developed....makes me believe that EA is dedicated like Valve and Blizzard to the PC market in many ways.
I agree. Considering that EA is taking the time to make origins much better than it was. I see that EA feels the PC market is a worthwhile investment.
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9950 stock asus p5n-d 5870 4 gb ocz 
OS
windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
That's not how it works. Read up on the other threads, it's been said that Steam bullies other companies for sales, usually the smaller ones since they need distribution services like Steam.

If there are more services to choose from, Steam can no longer bully others because there are good alternatives. Hence, Steam will have to come up with something good to continue making the same amount of profit.
They took a page from Walmart'd Guide on How to Rape Manufactorers
Red Mamba
(12 items)
 
Little Titan
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 6700k MSI Gaming M7 MSI 980ti Gaming 6G MSI 980ti Gaming 6G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 3200 Samsung 840 256GB Samsung 840 1TB EVO Corsair H100i GTX 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 10 Pro Corsasir Strafe RGB Stealth NZXT H440 Corsair RGB M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz P8Z77-I Deluxe Palit GTX Titan @ Stock GSkill Sniper 16gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OS: Samsung 840 256gb Storage: Seagate 2Tb Corsair H100i Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCase
Corsair HX 750 Bitfenix Prodigy  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Mamba
(12 items)
 
Little Titan
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 6700k MSI Gaming M7 MSI 980ti Gaming 6G MSI 980ti Gaming 6G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 3200 Samsung 840 256GB Samsung 840 1TB EVO Corsair H100i GTX 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 10 Pro Corsasir Strafe RGB Stealth NZXT H440 Corsair RGB M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz P8Z77-I Deluxe Palit GTX Titan @ Stock GSkill Sniper 16gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OS: Samsung 840 256gb Storage: Seagate 2Tb Corsair H100i Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCase
Corsair HX 750 Bitfenix Prodigy  
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhati View Post
the entire controversy is a lie. EA never pulled anything. Steam removed it because EA wouldnt agree to Steams outrageous new terms on DLC(we dont have facts on the DLC part, but it seems to be true.)

I can still buy all the games EA has available on D2D, impulse, and other places. Steam made the decision to try and push their market control on EA, EA stood its ground. Steams greed cost everyone money, and costs Steams customers the ability to buy popular new games on their favorite platform.
This. Everyone thinks it is all EA's fault and I laughed the other day when I saw the articile saying it was just steam

Only downside to having steam and origin is just two places I would then have to go to find which game I want to play. No big deal really but some people are freaking out a little to much as of late.
Silence
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4ghz HT Asus Rampage III Extreme ATI 5830 Corsair Dominator GT 6gb CAS 7 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
50gb Vertex 2 - OS,1.5tb Storage Win7 64 bit Saitek Cyborg OCZ 700W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Define R3 Logitech G500 Steelseries Glass 
  hide details  
Reply
Silence
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4ghz HT Asus Rampage III Extreme ATI 5830 Corsair Dominator GT 6gb CAS 7 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
50gb Vertex 2 - OS,1.5tb Storage Win7 64 bit Saitek Cyborg OCZ 700W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Define R3 Logitech G500 Steelseries Glass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 133
The only reason I use Steam for everything now is because Steam supported a lot of my older games like half-life and such. But with Origin my older games such as C&C 3 and 2142 force me to put them again if I want to activate them and use them on Origin.

Let me put those games on Origin then I will have a reason to have the program on my computer.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 133
This is like Blu-ray vs HD-DVD, except EA is HD-DVD 10yr late to the party. I'm all for competition, but not when we already have an established norm.
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCgamer] EA : “we’d like to be the worldwide leader in digital publishing"