Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › I have a horrible virus - no clue what to do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a horrible virus - no clue what to do - Page 2

post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
You should zero your drive. Some viruses can sit in the MBR and affect it even after a format. Its not a network virues, I can tell you that. If you're the only one affected then it could be on your flash drive or in your mbr. Just secure wipe your hdd and flash drive with some bootable media like gdisk or something.
No need to zero the whole drive, you can simple go into recovery console and use the fdisk /mbr command.
post #12 of 67
Sounds like either your hard drive is dying or your ram is dying. Just because your install wants you to go into recovery doesn't mean it is a virus. My work laptop always tried to go into recovery after a reboot because the hard drive was going bad.

Download memtest86 and seatools and you can test your ram and your hard drive to see if they are going bad and causing important files to become corrupt.
post #13 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
You should zero your drive. Some viruses can sit in the MBR and affect it even after a format. Its not a network virues, I can tell you that. If you're the only one affected then it could be on your flash drive or in your mbr. Just secure wipe your hdd and flash drive with some bootable media like gdisk or something.
I tried zeroing my drive with killdisk so I could clear the MBR and completely start fresh.
I don't think it's any component dying because before it happens a ton of randomly named processes start popping up which, to me, signifies that it's some type of virus. I'll test my ram with memtest to make sure, though.

Currently I'm running killdisk again to completely wipe the drive. Then I'll probably clear CMOS and flash my BIOS to try to clear out anything in there. I know BIOS viruses are super rare, but might as well do it to be safe.
From there I'll reformat and as soon as everything loads I'll run kaspersky anti-virus on all my drives and kaspersky TDSSKiller to check for rootkits.

Should I run the anti-virus software in safe mode or would running it in normal boot be sufficient?
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post
I tried zeroing my drive with killdisk so I could clear the MBR and completely start fresh.
I don't think it's any component dying because before it happens a ton of randomly named processes start popping up which, to me, signifies that it's some type of virus. I'll test my ram with memtest to make sure, though.

Currently I'm running killdisk again to completely wipe the drive. Then I'll probably clear CMOS and flash my BIOS to try to clear out anything in there. I know BIOS viruses are super rare, but might as well do it to be safe.
From there I'll reformat and as soon as everything loads I'll run kaspersky anti-virus on all my drives and kaspersky TDSSKiller to check for rootkits.

Should I run the anti-virus software in safe mode or would running it in normal boot be sufficient?
it never hurts to run in safe mode, though regular mode should be fine
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 67
download malware bytes, burn it to a CD. Then disconnect all computer from the internet, use the CD to install malware and run it on all computers. This should help greatly.
post #16 of 67
Sounds like a weird thing to ask but ....

Is it a legit copy of windows that you're installing from ?

I've seen certain "releases" be injected with malicious code

(pre-loaded viruses on the disk)
Pinky
(15 items)
 
GF's fav
(12 items)
 
Yup
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 Asus P5N-D BFG GeForce GTX 285 Patriot DDR2-800 (8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD VelociRaptor 74GB x2 (raid 0) Seagate XT 7200.1 500GB LG 10X Blu-ray Burner Corsair Hydro H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro LG LED E2250V Antec EA 750W Aspire X-Cruiser 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A97 R2.0 GTX 780 ti 32GB Crucial DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500Gb WD5000aaks 750Gb Samsung HD753LJ  Pioneer BDR-208DBK CM Hyper 212 evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Pro x64 Asus VE258 LED 850w Zalman ZM850-HP ENERMAX Chakra Blue 
  hide details  
Reply
Pinky
(15 items)
 
GF's fav
(12 items)
 
Yup
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 Asus P5N-D BFG GeForce GTX 285 Patriot DDR2-800 (8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD VelociRaptor 74GB x2 (raid 0) Seagate XT 7200.1 500GB LG 10X Blu-ray Burner Corsair Hydro H60 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro LG LED E2250V Antec EA 750W Aspire X-Cruiser 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A97 R2.0 GTX 780 ti 32GB Crucial DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500Gb WD5000aaks 750Gb Samsung HD753LJ  Pioneer BDR-208DBK CM Hyper 212 evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Pro x64 Asus VE258 LED 850w Zalman ZM850-HP ENERMAX Chakra Blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckngrtfakt View Post
Sounds like a weird thing to ask but ....

Is it a legit copy of windows that you're installing from ?

I've seen certain "releases" be injected with malicious code

(pre-loaded viruses on the disk)
This, if you are installing from a DVD you got off of the net, it's highly possible the virus is on that... even if you aren't cracking your Win install, the actual CD/DVD may have a virus on it...

I always stick to unmodified images and scan them before burning

Let us know

Also, disconnect the PC from the net and network completely and use an antivirus with an unattended install like avira free antivir before you reconnect... not to mention enabling your firewall
Edited by PCWIZMTL - 6/17/11 at 1:02pm
Dream PC 2012
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 320 Series SSD 160GB LG Blue Blu-Ray RW Corsair H100 Windows 7  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 244T Logitech G110 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W Corsair 650D 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 5 M-Audio Firewire Solo 
  hide details  
Reply
Dream PC 2012
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 320 Series SSD 160GB LG Blue Blu-Ray RW Corsair H100 Windows 7  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 244T Logitech G110 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W Corsair 650D 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 5 M-Audio Firewire Solo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 67
Thread Starter 
It's an official copy of Windows. I've used it multiple times on this computer and everything's been fine.
I flashed my BIOS and cleared CMOS. I ran a WD HDD test on my hard drive and it came through with no errors, though I'm not sure how accurate that program is. Now I'm in the process of reformatting. I've disconnected that computer from the internet and have gotten malwarebytes, kaspersky AV, and kaspersky tdsskiller and will run those as soon as the installation finishes.

Gosh, what a horrible ordeal. I've never experienced a virus as malicious as this; one that completely renders the computer useless.

By the way, thank you to everyone who has given help so far! Of all the computer problems out there, viruses are the ones that really kick my butt and have me at a loss as for what to do, especially this particular one.
Edited by EmeraldICE - 6/17/11 at 1:24pm
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post
It's an official copy of Windows. I've used it multiple times on this computer and everything's been fine.
I flashed my BIOS and cleared CMOS. I ran a WD HDD test on my hard drive and it came through with no errors, though I'm not sure how accurate that program is. Now I'm in the process of reformatting. I've disconnected that computer from the internet and have gotten malwarebytes, kaspersky AV, and kaspersky tdsskiller and will run those as soon as the installation finishes.

Gosh, what a horrible ordeal. I've never experienced a virus as malicious as this; one that completely renders the computer useless.

By the way, thank you to everyone who has given help so far! Of all the computer problems out there, viruses are the ones that really kick my butt and have me at a loss as for what to do, especially this particular one.
at least it wasnt one of the malicious ones that puts a vulgar image on your screen until you cut the power
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post
It's an official copy of Windows. I've used it multiple times on this computer and everything's been fine.
I flashed my BIOS and cleared CMOS. I ran a WD HDD test on my hard drive and it came through with no errors, though I'm not sure how accurate that program is. Now I'm in the process of reformatting. I've disconnected that computer from the internet and have gotten malwarebytes, kaspersky AV, and kaspersky tdsskiller and will run those as soon as the installation finishes.

Gosh, what a horrible ordeal. I've never experienced a virus as malicious as this; one that completely renders the computer useless.

By the way, thank you to everyone who has given help so far! Of all the computer problems out there, viruses are the ones that really kick my butt and have me at a loss as for what to do, especially this particular one.
Definitely disconnect from your Home Network and the Net... also, don't install multiple antiviruses... pick one antivirus and one antispyware and give it a run... let us know man
Dream PC 2012
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 320 Series SSD 160GB LG Blue Blu-Ray RW Corsair H100 Windows 7  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 244T Logitech G110 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W Corsair 650D 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 5 M-Audio Firewire Solo 
  hide details  
Reply
Dream PC 2012
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte HD7970 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 320 Series SSD 160GB LG Blue Blu-Ray RW Corsair H100 Windows 7  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 244T Logitech G110 Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W Corsair 650D 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 5 M-Audio Firewire Solo 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › I have a horrible virus - no clue what to do