Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › psu burnt wires. what to do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

psu burnt wires. what to do?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Some time ago, when chimpchallenge took place my PSUs 8pin wires burnt.
So finnaly I got time to fix them but i' have some problems.
I managed to get one 4pin cpu connector to replace the burnt one but it has smaller wires (18 awg compared to psu 20 awg)
what to do? RMA is not an option this time.
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
It seems that even the original 20 awg somehow weren't enough for the wattage you need. Now if I get it right you're using a 4pin in stead of 8 pin and wires of smaller diameter - so imo to be sure you won't burn these too you should lower your consumption by more than 50%.

The best thing would be to go to any electronics shop and buy some decent wires (20awg+) that you can solder between the PSU and the 8pin connector. Also you can put two thinner wires in parallel to replace each thicker one.

Have I answered your question or I kinda missed the problem? There are two type of 8 pin connectors - PEG & PCIe, I supposed your PEG burnt out.
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
It seems that even the original 20 awg somehow weren't enough for the wattage you need. Now if I get it right you're using a 4pin in stead of 8 pin and wires of smaller diameter - so imo to be sure you won't burn these too you should lower your consumption by more than 50%.

The best thing would be to go to any electronics shop and buy some decent wires (20awg+) that you can solder between the PSU and the 8pin connector. Also you can put two thinner wires in parallel to replace each thicker one.

Have I answered your question or I kinda missed the problem? There are two type of 8 pin connectors - PEG & PCIe, I supposed your PEG burnt out.
I'm sorry for my bad english.
The plastic connector burnt, inside MB I've managed to get it out and clean, but due to damage i'm not able to use half of the connector. For now I'm using only 2 cores and downclocked it.
So I can put two wires on and it will work?
Or I should save some money for new psu(but that would take a long time)


frankly speaking i think all of them are burnt
Edited by Eaglake - 6/18/11 at 12:23pm
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
You could change out the eps connecter and pins on the cheap.
8-pin 12V EPS Power Connector

EPS Connector Pins

I also ran into this the other week, same thing happened to me.

I ended up changing out the straight header on my mobo, haven't got to change out the 8-pin eps connector yet on the psu.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...tx-female.html
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMind View Post
You could change out the eps connecter and pins on the cheap.
8-pin 12V EPS Power Connector

EPS Connector Pins

I also ran into this the other week, same thing happened to me.

I ended up changing out the straight header on my mobo, haven't got to change out the 8-pin eps connector yet on the psu.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...tx-female.html
Sorry to hear that you had this same problem.
well atleast I was able to clean out that plastic from the MB connector, so I guess I migh not need to resolder ( or I should?)
Are those pins hard to get on the wire without the proper crimping tool?
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglake View Post
Sorry to hear that you had this same problem.
well atleast I was able to clean out that plastic from the MB connector, so I guess I migh not need to resolder ( or I should?)
Are those pins hard to get on the wire without the proper crimping tool?
If the straight header on the board looks good, I don't say it will need to be changed out. [For me, it was a different story, the housing was completely melted-n-deformed]

I have not changed pins on eps before, I seen a photo with smasherbasher using high costly crimpers but I could imagine for only 8 pins you could use cheap pair of crimpers. 33 buck crimpers

Maybe Smasher could pop in and suggest if they could be crimped without proper crimpers just to get by, that is if you could not get a hold of a pair of proper crimpers.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMind View Post
If the straight header on the board looks good, I don't say it will need to be changed out. [For me, it was a different story, the housing was completely melted-n-deformed]

I have not changed pins on eps before, I seen a photo with smasherbasher using high costly crimpers but I could imagine for only 8 pins you could use cheap pair of crimpers. 33 buck crimpers

Maybe Smasher could pop in and suggest if they could be crimped without proper crimpers just to get by, that is if you could not get a hold of a pair of proper crimpers.
This is how it looks, though not as bad as you did.
The stupidest thing is that I didn't notice that they where burnt until my OC become unstable. (I was suspecting something is wrong, so a maintenance check up and....there it was ;( )

But besides that. Need to find tool that is closer to me. A 60$ for shipping I can't afford now.
Maybe I can somehow solder wires to crimps, I think that shoul work out?
I don't know I'm really confused.
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglake View Post
This is how it looks, though not as bad as you did.
The stupidest thing is that I didn't notice that they where burnt until my OC become unstable. (I was suspecting something is wrong, so a maintenance check up and....there it was ;( ) *snip*

But besides that. Need to find tool that is closer to me. A 60$ for shipping I can't afford now.
Maybe I can somehow solder wires to crimps, I think that shoul work out?
I don't know I'm really confused.
Yea same here, I raised the voltage for my cpu, on benchmarking smelt burning, my pc shutdown "unstable", found the badly burnt connectors. I truly do not know what happened, if my psu got over drawn or what, I'm placing an order for a x-850 by seasonic as I was using an old 750w PSU.

Yes, I would replace that straight header. I believe the contact from pin to pin would not be so good or great.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...rds=39-28-1083

Gotta have patience to replace it as it does take some time to heat up that solder on the board to remove the straight header with a heatgun as suggested to me by Sin0822.

I don't know about soldering them to the pins for the eps12v.
post #9 of 10
Hey, hope I'm not late with this post.

My (educated) guess about what cause the meltdown to the both of you - it's very unlikely it's only because of the wattage that passed thru. I think it is possible most/all of the current has passed only thru a few pins, not all made contact properly. As such a huge amount of current passed thru on-two pins and this melted them down. This fault could have come from not plugging the 8pin all the way down or worn down connectors on the board and/of the PSU.

I don't think you should replace the mobo header, but you should get a 10$ multimeter and check contacts (zero resistance between the contact point on the header and the solder point on the back of the board). The PSU 8pin is a cheap part, you can find adapters from 4pin to 8-pin for a few $ which you can scavenge the needed 8pin plug. Then you can hardwire it on your PSU at the place of the melted one. After you hardwire the 8pin you should plug the 8pin in the board and check again if there is a straight contact between the hardwired contact points and the solder points on back of the board (0.000 ohm).

If all checks are good you can power up your rig and gradually increase power consumption (2 to 4 cores, HT on, turbo on, +1xmulti, etc). Imho it was just a bad contact that led to all the mess, you should check to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
Hey, hope I'm not late with this post.

My (educated) guess about what cause the meltdown to the both of you - it's very unlikely it's only because of the wattage that passed thru. I think it is possible most/all of the current has passed only thru a few pins, not all made contact properly. As such a huge amount of current passed thru on-two pins and this melted them down. This fault could have come from not plugging the 8pin all the way down or worn down connectors on the board and/of the PSU.

I don't think you should replace the mobo header, but you should get a 10$ multimeter and check contacts (zero resistance between the contact point on the header and the solder point on the back of the board). The PSU 8pin is a cheap part, you can find adapters from 4pin to 8-pin for a few $ which you can scavenge the needed 8pin plug. Then you can hardwire it on your PSU at the place of the melted one. After you hardwire the 8pin you should plug the 8pin in the board and check again if there is a straight contact between the hardwired contact points and the solder points on back of the board (0.000 ohm).

If all checks are good you can power up your rig and gradually increase power consumption (2 to 4 cores, HT on, turbo on, +1xmulti, etc). Imho it was just a bad contact that led to all the mess, you should check to make sure it doesn't happen again.
My Biggest thanks for your post. It's really explaining and helpful.
I'll buy a EPS extender and solder it in the burnt wires place.
And I think multimeter should also come in handy in future (with this PC stuff)
Out of curiosity, what will happen if resistance is not 0.0 ohm?
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bubble
(16 items)
 
Work Horse
(13 items)
 
Kalvadoss
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5460 ASUS P5Q-SE plus Gigabyte 550ti Kingmax 2x2GB @ 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung spinpoin F1 750GB ASUS DRW-20B1LT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Deluxe 250 Corsair CX430W ASUS Vento A9 Logitech cordles 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz 855GM Intel 82852 GM 512MB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 160GB Windows XP sp1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › psu burnt wires. what to do?