Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Questions about upgrading from a 5850 on a pre-build system.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions about upgrading from a 5850 on a pre-build system. - Page 3

post #21 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe63 View Post
There is nothing wrong with a 5850 as long as the price is right. It is still a good card. There will always be an upgrade.

How much is hte whole system costing and what are the upgrade options/ prices?
I think I'm just going to OC my 5850 and see how performance improves. If not enough, then in a couple months a buy a new mobo, case, and cooling to OC my CPU
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriviumKM View Post
I'll have to open the case and check again to see if its a reference card and get back at you(thanks for all the info by the way, I know you don't have to help me so i really do appreciate you taking time out of your day, thanks)
Glad to help.
Sry if i do leave soon though, different time zones and being sleepy and all
But there are other people somebody will help you with something you need.
LEGA
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 945 ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire 5850 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1866mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung spinpoint F1 1000GB  Samsung spinpoint F3 1000GB  Zalman CNPS10X Performa win7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic VG2427wm 24'' Genius KB-G255 520W seasonic Chieftec Dragon 
MouseMouse Pad
Gigabyte m8000x Wooden table with smooth finish 
  hide details  
Reply
LEGA
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 945 ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire 5850 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1866mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung spinpoint F1 1000GB  Samsung spinpoint F3 1000GB  Zalman CNPS10X Performa win7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic VG2427wm 24'' Genius KB-G255 520W seasonic Chieftec Dragon 
MouseMouse Pad
Gigabyte m8000x Wooden table with smooth finish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
Glad to help.
Sry if i do leave soon though, different time zones and being sleepy and all
But there are other people somebody will help you with something you need.
Understandable. Thanks again for the help. Hope your still here when i check though lol need someone to basically hold my hand through this for lack of better words
post #24 of 42
Again, this is my personal opinion, but the only thing you really need to change seems to be your board and processor and seeing as how the board in your particular gateway seems to be going for something like $150 and the i7 860 seems to be going for roughly $200 used (on ebay) as well, This may be the best course of action. $350 Would be enough to get you a 2500k and decent board, maybe even one that supports crossfire. Then, not only would you have more options in the future, you'd have a processor with an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking.

It seems to me (after googling the part number of your Gateway) that it's standard ATX form factor, so you could keep everything, and swap your board and proc. Heck, maybe even set the " buy it now or best offer" at $459 just to see if you can get closer to $400. Again, just my personal opinion. Have a great one!!!!
Aging Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz @3.6ghz 1.35vCore Asus Maximus Formula X38 HIS Radeon HD 6950 2gb Flashed6970@880core1375 mem 8GB OCZ DDR2 1066@1200 5-5-5-15 2.3v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x WD5003ABYX RAID 0, 2x WD15EARS RAID 1 Storage Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Windows 7 Professional x64 3x AL2216WBD Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Random generic usb keyboard PC Power&Cooling 750w Antec 900 Pixxo Gaming Series Mouse ($14 whim) 
Mouse Pad
OCZ Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Aging Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz @3.6ghz 1.35vCore Asus Maximus Formula X38 HIS Radeon HD 6950 2gb Flashed6970@880core1375 mem 8GB OCZ DDR2 1066@1200 5-5-5-15 2.3v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x WD5003ABYX RAID 0, 2x WD15EARS RAID 1 Storage Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Windows 7 Professional x64 3x AL2216WBD Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Random generic usb keyboard PC Power&Cooling 750w Antec 900 Pixxo Gaming Series Mouse ($14 whim) 
Mouse Pad
OCZ Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 42
Edit: All of that has you spending nothing out of pocket, if you felt like tossing in some of your own money, you could get a "2600k" for $100 more. Again a very personal question as to whether or not, the extra 2mb's of Cache and Hyperthreading are worth it.

Sorry for the long post
Aging Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz @3.6ghz 1.35vCore Asus Maximus Formula X38 HIS Radeon HD 6950 2gb Flashed6970@880core1375 mem 8GB OCZ DDR2 1066@1200 5-5-5-15 2.3v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x WD5003ABYX RAID 0, 2x WD15EARS RAID 1 Storage Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Windows 7 Professional x64 3x AL2216WBD Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Random generic usb keyboard PC Power&Cooling 750w Antec 900 Pixxo Gaming Series Mouse ($14 whim) 
Mouse Pad
OCZ Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Aging Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz @3.6ghz 1.35vCore Asus Maximus Formula X38 HIS Radeon HD 6950 2gb Flashed6970@880core1375 mem 8GB OCZ DDR2 1066@1200 5-5-5-15 2.3v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x WD5003ABYX RAID 0, 2x WD15EARS RAID 1 Storage Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Windows 7 Professional x64 3x AL2216WBD Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Random generic usb keyboard PC Power&Cooling 750w Antec 900 Pixxo Gaming Series Mouse ($14 whim) 
Mouse Pad
OCZ Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 42
I have an 870 and a 6950 , you need to overclock your cpu to get the best performance from both the cpu and gpu ...

I had a 5850 on my 870 @ stock freq before i got the 6950 and their was a huge difference , espeicially now with the new drivers .. id say 20+fps in most games over the 5850 atleast if not way more ..
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 7600k @ 5Ghz, 1.312v Asus Prime Z270-AR msi GTX 1080 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3Ghz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Transcend SSD220S 120GB  Corsair H80i V2 Windows 10 Pro 64bit AOC AG322FCX 32" Curved LED 144hz 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Antec Quattro 1000w Thermaltake Versa N27 msi Gaming series 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Goliathus Steelseries Siberia V2  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 7600k @ 5Ghz, 1.312v Asus Prime Z270-AR msi GTX 1080 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3Ghz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Transcend SSD220S 120GB  Corsair H80i V2 Windows 10 Pro 64bit AOC AG322FCX 32" Curved LED 144hz 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Antec Quattro 1000w Thermaltake Versa N27 msi Gaming series 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Goliathus Steelseries Siberia V2  
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownithopter View Post
Again, this is my personal opinion, but the only thing you really need to change seems to be your board and processor and seeing as how the board in your particular gateway seems to be going for something like $150 and the i7 860 seems to be going for roughly $200 used (on ebay) as well, This may be the best course of action. $350 Would be enough to get you a 2500k and decent board, maybe even one that supports crossfire. Then, not only would you have more options in the future, you'd have a processor with an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking.

It seems to me (after googling the part number of your Gateway) that it's standard ATX form factor, so you could keep everything, and swap your board and proc. Heck, maybe even set the " buy it now or best offer" at $459 just to see if you can get closer to $400. Again, just my personal opinion. Have a great one!!!!
Thanks for the advice I'm thinking of just changing my board to a better 1156 supporting CF, buying a cooler, and keeping the 860. My reasoning is that this would be basically my first attempt at semi building and overclocking anything. I figure after i learn a bit more and become more comfortable down the line, then ill probably sell the current system and build a much better future proof rig.
Edited by TriviumKM - 6/19/11 at 8:55am
post #28 of 42
Thread Starter 
Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the help so far, i appreciate it.
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 
Wouldn't a 750W PSU be enough to overclock my card? I've been able to get it 937MHz core, 1300MHz memory, at 1.21v.(49C idle and 77-82C load)

Ran test in GPU tool for almost an hour with no errors. Ran a benchmark and gamed a bit with no problems or artifacts.
Yet my windows aero is switching back and forth from custom to classic and i got a message telling me "windows isn't performing well, would i like to disable (forgot what) for better performance?" or something close to that.

So now i don't know if it's simply that I OC my card too high and it is unstable or if it's a different issue. The stock specs are: 1.08v, 725MHz core, and 1000MHz memory.
Could it be my Power supply can't handle the extra voltage to 1.21? or are my core and memory clocks just too high?

I also blue screened on startup this morning. Had set MSI to apply settings on startup last night. Only way for me to fix the issue was to run in safe and remove MSI Afterburner temporarily.
Edited by TriviumKM - 6/19/11 at 8:45am
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriviumKM View Post
Wouldn't a 750W PSU be enough to overclock my card? I've been able to get it 937MHz core, 1300MHz memory, at 1.21v.(49C idle and 77-82C load)

Ran test in GPU tool for almost an hour with no errors. Ran a benchmark and gamed a bit with no problems or artifacts.
Yet my windows aero is switching back and forth from custom to classic and i got a message telling me "windows isn't performing well, would i like to disable (forgot what) for better performance?" or something close to that.

So now i don't know if it's simply that I OC my card too high and it is unstable or if it's a different issue. The stock specs are: 1.08v, 725MHz core, and 1000MHz memory.
Could it be my Power supply can't handle the extra voltage to 1.21? or are my core and memory clocks just too high?

I also blue screened on startup this morning. Had set MSI to apply settings on startup last night. Only way for me to fix the issue was to run in safe and remove MSI Afterburner temporarily.

I think your power supply is fine, I'd back off a bit, on the core voltage and clock speed for the time being. I may only be speaking for myself when I say when you start overclocking anything, be it CPU, GPU etc, you generally want to start in small 10-50mhz increases while checking stability, and temps. That way you get a really good Idea where your card is stable vs where you start actually LOSING performance because of an unstable overclock. Maybe see what it takes to be stable at 825-850 and go from there? Hope I was able to help at least a bit. Post some results!!
Aging Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz @3.6ghz 1.35vCore Asus Maximus Formula X38 HIS Radeon HD 6950 2gb Flashed6970@880core1375 mem 8GB OCZ DDR2 1066@1200 5-5-5-15 2.3v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x WD5003ABYX RAID 0, 2x WD15EARS RAID 1 Storage Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Windows 7 Professional x64 3x AL2216WBD Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Random generic usb keyboard PC Power&Cooling 750w Antec 900 Pixxo Gaming Series Mouse ($14 whim) 
Mouse Pad
OCZ Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Aging Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz @3.6ghz 1.35vCore Asus Maximus Formula X38 HIS Radeon HD 6950 2gb Flashed6970@880core1375 mem 8GB OCZ DDR2 1066@1200 5-5-5-15 2.3v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x WD5003ABYX RAID 0, 2x WD15EARS RAID 1 Storage Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Windows 7 Professional x64 3x AL2216WBD Eyefinity 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Random generic usb keyboard PC Power&Cooling 750w Antec 900 Pixxo Gaming Series Mouse ($14 whim) 
Mouse Pad
OCZ Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Questions about upgrading from a 5850 on a pre-build system.