Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [PCMag] Feds Recruiting ISPs, Defense Firms to Face Down Growing Cyber Threats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCMag] Feds Recruiting ISPs, Defense Firms to Face Down Growing Cyber Threats - Page 7  

post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryKnight;13934413 
this was going to happen sooner or later. Dont be blaming luzsec for it. They are probably not even Americans...

What does that have to do with it?

Anyhoo, DHS is the biggest money pit ever conceived.

So long as all is needed is beefing-up of security protocols, etc., I'm perfectly fine with added efforts in that area. If it's more along the lines of the "patriot act" where there's rampant wire-tapping, etc., I'm a bit more wary.

Though I am so sick and tired of all of this "hacking" that's been gaining so much publicity lately, and something needs to be done about it.

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminouslight;13936548 
Am I the only person who actually read the article?

It's no surprise they said that. The devil is in the details though. You can say anything you want about something before it's implemented. What happens after is the important part.

I'm still hopeful that all it will entail is enforcement of strong security protocols, rather than policing of people.
Edited by guyladouche - 6/20/11 at 5:34am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked;13936542 
Seriously?

The moment you sign into Battle.net your IP/Isp and username are monitored...

It's been that way since the service started.

Granted it's not on a name/SS# basis, if you hack their content, they still ban you...Same stuff, different day.

I do agree w/Domino, if you are pro-monitoring VIA Steam/Paypal/Battle.net etc then you should have no ethical/moral dilemma with what's happening...Unless, you hack, obviously.

This is not a case of justice being blind...This is a case where your activity will be monitored and if it's illegal...Well, I hope you the penalties.

Sorry if you guys do things different in the USA. Here we value something called privacy and freedom.

Just because I'm not doing anything wrong while chatting with my girlfriend doesn't mean I have no problem with some old fbi pervert snooping in on us, and our PRIVATE conversation being recorded in some server later to be hacked by a hacker going through the bad security of the FBI.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
post #63 of 87
We have various branches of the military to physically defend us, why not have a branch to defend us on the digital front?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8 Ghz 1.45v ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Intel onboard Mushkin Blackline 10-11-10-28 2133 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda N/A Rasa RX360 kit Ubuntu 10.10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
N/A N/A Raidmax 730 Watt IN WIN Dragon Rider 
MouseMouse PadAudio
N/A N/A N/A 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8 Ghz 1.45v ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Intel onboard Mushkin Blackline 10-11-10-28 2133 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda N/A Rasa RX360 kit Ubuntu 10.10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
N/A N/A Raidmax 730 Watt IN WIN Dragon Rider 
MouseMouse PadAudio
N/A N/A N/A 
  hide details  
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__;13936564 
Sorry if you guys do things different in the USA.

I'm not American.
Quote:
Here we value something called privacy and freedom.

And so does this. This "system" is to broaden communications with private sectors to improve on security. They simply share what they know with each other to better protect themselves from threats.

It also helps broaden safety for national security. I'd be concerned if the countries military is unable to protect itself from a thumb drive app.

If one, say Citibank, is able to protect itself from one organized group, it can share its safety proceedures with other agencies attempting to protect itself from the same thing.
Quote:
Just because I'm not doing anything wrong while chatting with my girlfriend doesn't mean I have no problem with some old fbi pervert snooping in on us, and our PRIVATE conversation being recorded in some server later to be hacked by a hacker going through the bad security of the FBI.

Please read the article.
Edited by Domino - 6/20/11 at 5:38am
post #65 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminouslight;13936548 
Am I the only person who actually read the article?

I know I know bro I read the article. But some people here are so eager to be "patriotic" that even when the government doesn't want to monitor us, they're shouting "We want our privacy violated!!!"

Edit: I read the article. I was responding to cdolphin who is so eager to get snooped on.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__;13936593 
I know I know bro I read the article. But some people here are so eager to be "patriotic" that even when the government doesn't want to monitor us, they're shouting "We want our privacy violated!!!"

Edit: I read the article. I was responding to cdolphin who is so eager to get snooped on.

But you have an SC2 account. You are already violating your own privacy...based on your logic anyways.
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__;13936593 
I know I know bro I read the article. But some people here are so eager to be "patriotic" that even when the government doesn't want to monitor us, they're shouting "We want our privacy violated!!!"

Edit: I read the article. I was responding to cdolphin who is so eager to get snooped on.

Rofl. No. Far from.

We're saying: This already exists and happens to you on ANY game that you have to log in on so, believe it or not; you're already doing it.

WoW actually has some of the most high-end tracking software to date...Do you have a problem w/WoW tracking hackers?

Battle.net is included in that software...So you're actually already being tracked MORE than those services are "requesting"/"implementing".

Fact is simple...A select few are 'ruining' the freedoms of the masses and those that violate will be punished.

A cop doesn't beat the crap out of you because you look dumb, he beats the crap out of you because you appear to be suspect...Those are 2 COMPLETELY different concepts.

Don't do anything illegal and nothing bad will happen! thumbsupsmiley.png
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked;13936618 
Rofl. No. Far from.

We're saying: This already exists and happens to you on ANY game that you have to log in on so, believe it or not; you're already doing it.

WoW actually has some of the most high-end tracking software to date...Do you have a problem w/WoW tracking hackers?

Battle.net is included in that software...So you're actually already being tracked MORE than those services are "requesting"/"implementing".

Fact is simple...A select few are 'ruining' the freedoms of the masses and those that violate will be punished.

A cop doesn't beat the crap out of you because you look dumb, he beats the crap out of you because you appear to be suspect...Those are 2 COMPLETELY different concepts.

Don't do anything illegal and nothing bad will happen! thumbsupsmiley.png

I have two problems. Well three actually.

First, regarding online games. Just because it's already happening doesn't make it alright.

Second, regarding the things in bold: The problem is that cop is human. He is not some perfect unbiased machine. To the police, a few decades ago, the simple fact you were black made you suspect. There is absolutely no guarantee that the FBI will not take people suspect for absolutely invalid reasons. Just look at what mess airport security is.

Third, just because something is illegal, doesn't always mean it should be. Same sex marriage for example. What if the government were to enact a law tomorrow banning gay relationships. Monitoring laws will cause oppression and power abuse in ways never seen before. Just like the internet provided ways of freedom of speech never seen before in countries such as Egypt.
Edited by __Pat__ - 6/20/11 at 5:54am
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
post #69 of 87
K, this is getting to be off-topic and against ToS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__;13936688 
Second, regarding the things in bold: The problem is that cop is human. He is not some perfect unbiased machine. To the police, a few decades ago, the simple fact you were black made you suspect. There is absolutely no guarantee that the FBI will not take people suspect for absolutely invalid reasons. Just look at what mess airport security is.

I don't know where people think they become unhuman the moment they go online. These are also monitor by humans. A program picks up the information and the human investigates. We don't use computers as judges; being that it has the final verdict.

A human created the program. It doesn't operate like a human, but it was design under human intentions.
Quote:
Third, just because something is illegal, doesn't always mean it should be. Same sex marriage for example. What if the government were to enact a law tomorrow banning gay pr0n. Monitoring laws will cause oppression and power abuse in ways never seen before. Just like the internet provided ways of freedom of speech never seen before in countries such as Egypt.

THIS IS SERIOUSY OFF-TOPIC AND HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ARTICLE. What is your point on cyber defense in the means of agencies talking and sharing information with each other?
Edited by Domino - 6/20/11 at 5:58am
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino;13936587 
I'm not American.

Oh you goofy Canadians don't even know you're just little amurrican's in training!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [PCMag] Feds Recruiting ISPs, Defense Firms to Face Down Growing Cyber Threats