Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Revised Headphones Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Revised Headphones Advice - Page 3

post #21 of 66
The Titanium HD has no headphone amplifier. Even with the 250 ohm version, I would say get an amplifier.
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
The Titanium HD has no headphone amplifier. Even with the 250 ohm version, I would say get an amplifier.
but it can power 300 ohm headphones though. What does an amplifier do for your headphones
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
but it can power 300 ohm headphones though. What does an amplifier do for your headphones
While the Titanium HD is rated to power 330 ohm headphones, it doesn't have the circuitry to drive them to their full potential. An amplifier gives a more stable source of power than most sound cards can. Headphone impedances vary as frequency changes. Because of this, a sound card will run of juice far earlier than a dedicated headphone amplifier will and in many cases results in the bass and the treble sounding sloppy.

A sound card might be able to drive headphones to a good volume but not to the same quality.
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
While the Titanium HD is rated to power 330 ohm headphones, it doesn't have the circuitry to drive them to their full potential. An amplifier gives a more stable source of power than most sound cards can. Headphone impedances vary as frequency changes. Because of this, a sound card will run of juice far earlier than a dedicated headphone amplifier will and in many cases results in the bass and the treble sounding sloppy.

A sound card might be able to drive headphones to a good volume but not to the same quality.
Well the main reason I picked the Titanium HD because I have read its very good for games and helping with soundstage, is there a soundcard that can run those headphones better and still be good for gaming? Because this is the main purpose of this purchase.
Kardiac 2.0
(15 items)
 
   
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4720HQ NVIDIA GTX 970M 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM 512 GB SSD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10 14" QHD+ 3200 x 1800 
  hide details  
Reply
Kardiac 2.0
(15 items)
 
   
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4720HQ NVIDIA GTX 970M 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM 512 GB SSD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10 14" QHD+ 3200 x 1800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
While the Titanium HD is rated to power 330 ohm headphones, it doesn't have the circuitry to drive them to their full potential. An amplifier gives a more stable source of power than most sound cards can. Headphone impedances vary as frequency changes. Because of this, a sound card will run of juice far earlier than a dedicated headphone amplifier will and in many cases results in the bass and the treble sounding sloppy.

A sound card might be able to drive headphones to a good volume but not to the same quality.
Dang I might have settled for a Xonar essence then since it has dedicated headphone amps. I am quite content with the titanium HD, thanks for the recommendation, I'm hearing stuff in some of my songs that I didn't know existed and its crisp and clear...wish it had an amp, but you say HD 555 doesn't need an amp?
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post
Well the main reason I picked the Titanium HD because I have read its very good for games and helping with soundstage, is there a soundcard that can run those headphones better and still be good for gaming? Because this is the main purpose of this purchase.

Auzentech AZT-FORTE X-Fi Forte

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-004-_-Product

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo
post #27 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
Whats the difference between the two?
Kardiac 2.0
(15 items)
 
   
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4720HQ NVIDIA GTX 970M 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM 512 GB SSD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10 14" QHD+ 3200 x 1800 
  hide details  
Reply
Kardiac 2.0
(15 items)
 
   
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4720HQ NVIDIA GTX 970M 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM 512 GB SSD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10 14" QHD+ 3200 x 1800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post
Whats the difference between the two?
the Auzentech uses same parts from Creative's soundcards if i'm not talking out of my arse and so it has great game performance and has a headphone amp. music performance is also decent.

the Claro doesnt use Creative's parts so gaming performance might not be as good as the Forte but music will be good.

I have not looked deep into both cards but those are the only other higher end cards i know that a great and have amps
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post
Well the main reason I picked the Titanium HD because I have read its very good for games and helping with soundstage, is there a soundcard that can run those headphones better and still be good for gaming? Because this is the main purpose of this purchase.
I think you should more consider if there's a better headphone for the Titanium HD. In terms of gaming, the Titanium HD is IMO as good as it gets. Its only downside is that it doesn't have a headphone amplifier. However, even if it did (like the Xonar ST/STX), I wouldn't use it anyway because there are far better solutions out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
Dang I might have settled for a Xonar essence then since it has dedicated headphone amps. I am quite content with the titanium HD, thanks for the recommendation, I'm hearing stuff in some of my songs that I didn't know existed and its crisp and clear...wish it had an amp, but you say HD 555 doesn't need an amp?
No, the HD555 does not need an amplifier. No matter how good an amplifier you get with the HD555/595 or the AD700, it won't change the nature of the headphone and will give you minimal to no improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
The difference between those two is quite large. I don't trust the Forte because Auzentech can't seem to make a reliable product and support it. In fact, I don't think I've seen the Forte come back in stock for almost a year.

The HT Omega is a decent sound card but for some reason uses a 3.5 mm mini-jack instead of a 6.3 mm jack like on the Essence ST/STX. It's still a serious card and it uses the same DSP as the Xonar line but the drivers look and feel ancient. I remember my old Abit KN8 Ultra (from the Socket 939 Athlon64 days) that had a C-Media AC97 codec that used almost the exact same drivers as the HT Omega Claro Halo, which I've heard extensively.
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Malignance
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Asus P8Z68-V eVGA GTX670 FTW 16GB Mushkin DDR3-2100 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2 x 128GB Crucial M4 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 1.5TB Seagate Asus 22X DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2410 Asus ProArt PA248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR PCP&P Silencer MKIII 600W Lian Li PC-A05NB Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Rocketfish Dual Sided Asus Xonar Essence STX Infinity Primus P153 | Dayton DTA-120 Amplifier... Shure SRH840 
AudioAudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Objective DAC Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post
the Auzentech uses same parts from Creative's soundcards if i'm not talking out of my arse and so it has great game performance and has a headphone amp. music performance is also decent.

the Claro doesnt use Creative's parts so gaming performance might not be as good as the Forte but music will be good.

I have not looked deep into both cards but those are the only other higher end cards i know that a great and have amps
Well how much would be a amp if I just wanted to get the Titanium HD? or would it just be worth it to just get the Auzentech AZT-FORTE X-Fi Forte right off the bat cause This is mainly for gaming so the HT | OMEGA Claro Halo is out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
I think you should more consider if there's a better headphone for the Titanium HD. In terms of gaming, the Titanium HD is IMO as good as it gets. Its only downside is that it doesn't have a headphone amplifier. However, even if it did (like the Xonar ST/STX), I wouldn't use it anyway because there are far better solutions out there.


No, the HD555 does not need an amplifier. No matter how good an amplifier you get with the HD555/595 or the AD700, it won't change the nature of the headphone and will give you minimal to no improvement.


The difference between those two is quite large. I don't trust the Forte because Auzentech can't seem to make a reliable product and support it. In fact, I don't think I've seen the Forte come back in stock for almost a year.

The HT Omega is a decent sound card but for some reason uses a 3.5 mm mini-jack instead of a 6.3 mm jack like on the Essence ST/STX. It's still a serious card and it uses the same DSP as the Xonar line but the drivers look and feel ancient. I remember my old Abit KN8 Ultra (from the Socket 939 Athlon64 days) that had a C-Media AC97 codec that used almost the exact same drivers as the HT Omega Claro Halo, which I've heard extensively.

Well how much would a amp be to help run these? Even if I get 80%-90% usage out of these Im cool with it just with the Titanium HD.
Edited by Chucklez - 6/20/11 at 7:40pm
Kardiac 2.0
(15 items)
 
   
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4720HQ NVIDIA GTX 970M 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM 512 GB SSD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10 14" QHD+ 3200 x 1800 
  hide details  
Reply
Kardiac 2.0
(15 items)
 
   
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4720HQ NVIDIA GTX 970M 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM 512 GB SSD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10 14" QHD+ 3200 x 1800 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Revised Headphones Advice