Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › My first overclock - X2 555 BE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first overclock - X2 555 BE

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I've been working on this for the last three hours or so, and now I believe I need opinions. So I've managed to get this CPU from 3.2GHz stock to just over 4GHz while maintaining decent temperatures. Unfortunately, the second core failed during Prime95 blend half an hour into the test (significant improvement since my last adjustment, which bluescreened three minutes into the test).



Idle temperature is 38C
Load temperature is 48C
With a Zalman 9500a @ ~2500 RPM
Motherboard is ASRock 870iCafe
This VRM list says "125W+, OC w/caution (use low volts)"

With these temperatures should I try to push the voltage a bit further to stabilize or should I just lower the clock? Or maybe there's something else I'm missing here? As I mentioned in the title, this is my first real overclocking experience. Any help will be much appreciated.
Edited by Ferrari8608 - 6/21/11 at 1:55am
post #2 of 12
You might just need 1.52V like mine did.

Do not adjust the FSB. Keep it as a solid 200. Don't push the HT link about 2000, not even 2001. 1800-2000 is best for stability. You won't hit performance problems until the 4.5+ (maybe even 5+) GHz range with the HT link below 2000.


Thought it is kinda awkward that you at pulling 48C load under the zalman. My Hyper 212+ has mine sitting at a comfy 40C under 2 hours of linpaks.
Edited by Domino - 6/21/11 at 2:40am
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
As soon as this Prime95 run fails, I'll give that a shot. I upped the bus to an even 220 and the voltage to 1.465 (CPU-Z is showing 1.472) 15 minutes ago (before you posted), and Prime95 is still running strong. I doubt it will last a few hours though.

I'm having doubts about this chip. I tried unlocking it a few weeks ago after installing it and found out it's a quad-core with two unstable cores. The second of the two remaining cores has been the only one to fail the stress tests and is now almost one full test behind the first. I don't know much about CPU's, but that seems off to me.
Edited by Ferrari8608 - 6/21/11 at 2:54am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post
As soon as this Prime95 run fails, I'll give that a shot. I upped the bus to an even 220 and the voltage to 1.465 (CPU-Z is showing 1.472) 15 minutes ago (before you posted), and Prime95 is still running strong. I doubt it will last a few hours though.

I'm having doubts about this chip. I tried unlocking it a few weeks ago after installing it and found out it's a quad-core with two unstable cores. The second of the two remaining cores has been the only one to fail the stress tests and is now almost one full test behind the first. I don't know much about CPU's, but that seems off to me.
All Phenom II X2 555s are quad cores with 2 locked cores, this is normal.

You should be able to run the chip as a triple core if only 1 of the 2 locked cores is bad (depends on BIOS settings).

If it is failing the stress test on stock then it is a bad core, if it is just a test behind then it may be worth keeping it as a quad core.

FYI 4 cores at 3.2ghz > 2 cores at 4ghz.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970T @ X6 LAPPED ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO XFX REF HD 6870 (1000/1200/1.26) 2x2gb DDR3 Kingston Vapor-X 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 64gb SSD + 640gb WD Windows 8 x64 22" 1080p LG flatron MS wired 600 
PowerCaseMouse
900w Modular Inwin CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970T @ X6 LAPPED ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO XFX REF HD 6870 (1000/1200/1.26) 2x2gb DDR3 Kingston Vapor-X 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 64gb SSD + 640gb WD Windows 8 x64 22" 1080p LG flatron MS wired 600 
PowerCaseMouse
900w Modular Inwin CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by superste2201 View Post
If it is failing the stress test on stock then it is a bad core, if it is just a test behind then it may be worth keeping it as a quad core.
I meant one of the two good unlocked cores is performing slower while I have it as a dual core. I know for a fact one of the locked cores is bad. After unlocking them I kept getting popups about 'floating-point' errors or something like that. They went away when I locked the cores again.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post
I meant one of the two good unlocked cores is performing slower while I have it as a dual core. I know for a fact one of the locked cores is bad. After unlocking them I kept getting popups about 'floating-point' errors or something like that. They went away when I locked the cores again.
Ah, that is also normal as one of the cores still has to run windows as well remember, while the other is free to dedicate all its power to the stress testing.

If I was you I would see if there is an option in BIOS to have only 3 of the cores on and make it a tri-core (if stable of course).

You temps at the moment are fine, 52-55~ would be the limit I would recommend. Voltage is safe up to 1.5~ on the CPU core.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970T @ X6 LAPPED ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO XFX REF HD 6870 (1000/1200/1.26) 2x2gb DDR3 Kingston Vapor-X 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 64gb SSD + 640gb WD Windows 8 x64 22" 1080p LG flatron MS wired 600 
PowerCaseMouse
900w Modular Inwin CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970T @ X6 LAPPED ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO XFX REF HD 6870 (1000/1200/1.26) 2x2gb DDR3 Kingston Vapor-X 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 64gb SSD + 640gb WD Windows 8 x64 22" 1080p LG flatron MS wired 600 
PowerCaseMouse
900w Modular Inwin CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Prime95 failed sometime after I fell asleep, so I raised the voltage another notch. Here's where it's at now:



Temperature's holding steady even with the voltage increase. Prime95 (small fft) ran for an hour and a half with no errors until I tried to get a screenshot of it. That made it bluescreen and reboot. Thoughts?
post #8 of 12
You will have better performance if you overclock your northbridge. Trade CPU clockspeed for NB speed if you have to. (3.8ghz CPU 2.8ghzNB is a good amount to shoot for)
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens View Post
You will have better performance if you overclock your northbridge. Trade CPU clockspeed for NB speed if you have to. (3.8ghz CPU 2.8ghzNB is a good amount to shoot for)
2.8 is tricky for the 555. The slightest bump in my case will cause the system to restart...very awkward.

2.6 is the sweet stop for your type of memory.

800 series mobos are absolute crap for unlocking. nothing like the 700 series. there has been many accounts where people were able to unlock on the 700, but not the 800.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post
Prime95 failed sometime after I fell asleep, so I raised the voltage another notch. Here's where it's at now:



Temperature's holding steady even with the voltage increase. Prime95 (small fft) ran for an hour and a half with no errors until I tried to get a screenshot of it. That made it bluescreen and reboot. Thoughts?
Could be numerous things. Either the cache (in that case lower your FSB (sorry, I meant bus speed instead of FSB in previous post). It took me 1.52V (1.5045 or whatever in bios) for 4.0 ghz stable on my 555. 1.48 might not take it. For 4.1, I think I was able to get somewhat stable at 1.55V bios.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › My first overclock - X2 555 BE