Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990XA/970A-Series Owners' Club & Help Thread - FX-8350 support added
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Gigabyte GA-990XA/970A-Series Owners' Club & Help Thread - FX-8350 support added - Page 138

post #1371 of 3278
I am sooo confused. I just purchased a GA-970A-D3 from Newegg. I've been looking into the FX-8350 Vishera and noticed the page for that mobo recommends that CPU. Yet, after closely examing the front page of this thread it looks as if rev 1 of this mobo won't support that cpu. Newegg links to the rev1 version of the board under "Manufacturer Product Page" and the red usb ports also indicate it's the rev1 board they're selling. Is newegg referring a CPU that won't work with the board? Are they actually selling a higher rev that will work with the CPU or does the FX-8350 Vishera actually work with rev1 of this board now? I've been digging for hours to find a rock solid answer since my friend mentioned some of the 970 boards have issues with that cpu and have yet to find one. Any help is greatly appreciate. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm fully aware that the very top of the front page of this thread says that CPU won't work with the rev1 board, but why would newegg recommend it and allow a combo deal offer if it doesn't work? That's where my confusion is deriving from.
Edited by ddashtrois - 11/22/12 at 9:19pm
post #1372 of 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddashtrois View Post

I am sooo confused. I just purchased a GA-970A-D3 from Newegg. I've been looking into the FX-8350 Vishera and noticed the page for that mobo recommends that CPU. Yet, after closely examing the front page of this thread it looks as if rev 1 of this mobo won't support that cpu. Newegg links to the rev1 version of the board under "Manufacturer Product Page" and the red usb ports also indicate it's the rev1 board they're selling. Is newegg referring a CPU that won't work with the board? Are they actually selling a higher rev that will work with the CPU or does the FX-8350 Vishera actually work with rev1 of this board now? I've been digging for hours to find a rock solid answer since my friend mentioned some of the 970 boards have issues with that cpu and have yet to find one. Any help is greatly appreciate. Thank you.
EDIT: I'm fully aware that the very top of the front page of this thread says that CPU won't work with the rev1 board, but why would newegg recommend it and allow a combo deal offer if it doesn't work? That's where my confusion is deriving from.
Newegg's pictures and links and stuff don't always update (if at all). They'll most likely send you the newest rev. For example it shows rev 1.0 in the picture for the ga-970a-ud3, but I received the rev 1.1 version.
post #1373 of 3278
Thread Starter 

^ Because some of those rev 1.x boards are 1.3 and 1.4 that do support 125W TDP Vishera because they have the VRM heatsink.
It's tough to tell what rev you'll get, hm, best you can do is ask them to get the latest one.

post #1374 of 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

^ The primary change with rev 3.0 is UEFI.

I, for one, can do without the goofy uefi bios. But I'm going to call Gigabyte and see if I can get my hands on the rev.3.~ northbridge heatsink. I've never liked the original one.
Assimilator
(16 items)
 
Backup
(12 items)
 
s939
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770k Gigabyte z97x-soc force XFX R7 260X Crucial Ballistix Sport LP  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Seagate  EK-KIT L120 Swiftech MCR-H220 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Arch Linux x86-64 HP E201 Cooler Master Rapid-i mx red/green led EVGA SuperNOVA 850B2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair C70 Perixx MX-1800R Something from Radio Shack Altec Lansing 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k Gigabyte Z97x-ud3h-bk MSI r7770 Crucial 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 240GB Seagate Corsair H60 Arch Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2009m Noppoo Lolita 87 Corsair HX650 Cooler Master Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 185 DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert EVGA 8800 GTS Corsair XMS-4000PT DDR500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Asus Thermalright XP-90  XP Pro 
PowerCaseAudio
Ultra XFinity Chrome ULT-XF500  Ultra Wizard ALC850 
  hide details  
Reply
Assimilator
(16 items)
 
Backup
(12 items)
 
s939
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770k Gigabyte z97x-soc force XFX R7 260X Crucial Ballistix Sport LP  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Seagate  EK-KIT L120 Swiftech MCR-H220 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Arch Linux x86-64 HP E201 Cooler Master Rapid-i mx red/green led EVGA SuperNOVA 850B2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair C70 Perixx MX-1800R Something from Radio Shack Altec Lansing 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k Gigabyte Z97x-ud3h-bk MSI r7770 Crucial 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 240GB Seagate Corsair H60 Arch Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2009m Noppoo Lolita 87 Corsair HX650 Cooler Master Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 185 DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert EVGA 8800 GTS Corsair XMS-4000PT DDR500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Asus Thermalright XP-90  XP Pro 
PowerCaseAudio
Ultra XFinity Chrome ULT-XF500  Ultra Wizard ALC850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1375 of 3278
I have a problem with fan control. Auto fan speed is working good on sis_fan1 4pin but on sis_fan2 3pin is always on full speed and making noise, is there a way to reduce it? (990xa-ud3)
BIOS settings seems to be only for sis_fan1.... thx
EliteQ
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer GA-990XA-UD3 Geil Evo One 1TB Seagate Baracuda 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 + Win 7 64bit Samsung 20" Logiech K300 
PowerCaseMouse
RECOM 550W CM Elite 332 Logiech RX1000 
  hide details  
Reply
EliteQ
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer GA-990XA-UD3 Geil Evo One 1TB Seagate Baracuda 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 + Win 7 64bit Samsung 20" Logiech K300 
PowerCaseMouse
RECOM 550W CM Elite 332 Logiech RX1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1376 of 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatijaInSpace View Post

I have a problem with fan control. Auto fan speed is working good on sis_fan1 4pin but on sis_fan2 3pin is always on full speed and making noise, is there a way to reduce it? (990xa-ud3)
BIOS settings seems to be only for sis_fan1.... thx
I don't think you can control the 3 pin.
post #1377 of 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by auraofjason View Post

I don't think you can control the 3 pin.
They can be, but in my case just on sis_fan1.
Here's my rig now, at least looks better wink.gif
But now my front and back fans are running at full speed. That's why i need Y 4pin cable to free the sis_fan jack so i could have them on auto also, for 3pin I have home-made Y cable biggrin.gif
PB240943.JPG
And the fifth one is 140mm and even on full speed is quiet.
EliteQ
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer GA-990XA-UD3 Geil Evo One 1TB Seagate Baracuda 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 + Win 7 64bit Samsung 20" Logiech K300 
PowerCaseMouse
RECOM 550W CM Elite 332 Logiech RX1000 
  hide details  
Reply
EliteQ
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer GA-990XA-UD3 Geil Evo One 1TB Seagate Baracuda 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 + Win 7 64bit Samsung 20" Logiech K300 
PowerCaseMouse
RECOM 550W CM Elite 332 Logiech RX1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1378 of 3278
Hi, I'm having a bad time trying to figure out what to do with my GA-970A-D3 motherboard since I've been reading the revision 1.1 one I have doesn't seem to support the FX 8350 Vishera.
I want to upgrade my Phenom II X4 945 and I've also read comments saying it's ok if I just upgrade to the latest F11 Bios version available for my motherboard from the gigabyte website. I would like to know if there's any implications if I do this, I've just bought this mainboard 3 months ago and I don't wanna spend on a new one. (I almost feel robbed with this revision stuff)
I'm not an expert in this topic so any help would be appreciated, I also don't plan to overclock (well I also read it's not recomendable for this motherboard), I use it mainly for office work and low req games. Thanks in advance.
post #1379 of 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by June24th View Post

Hi, I'm having a bad time trying to figure out what to do with my GA-970A-D3 motherboard since I've been reading the revision 1.1 one I have doesn't seem to support the FX 8350 Vishera.
I want to upgrade my Phenom II X4 945 and I've also read comments saying it's ok if I just upgrade to the latest F11 Bios version available for my motherboard from the gigabyte website. I would like to know if there's any implications if I do this, I've just bought this mainboard 3 months ago and I don't wanna spend on a new one. (I almost feel robbed with this revision stuff)
I'm not an expert in this topic so any help would be appreciated, I also don't plan to overclock (well I also read it's not recomendable for this motherboard), I use it mainly for office work and low req games. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't put an 8 core on that rev 1.1 motherboard, because it has unheatsinked 4+1 phases. They don't have official support for the 8 cores for a reason. You said you mainly use your rig for office work and low req games so I would say an fx-6300 would be perfect.
post #1380 of 3278
So I just got a GA-990XA-UD3. Currently I'm running a Phenom II x6 1090T and the Samsung 30nm RAM. I'm not sure if this is motherboard or CPU related.

I'm trying to push +3500Mhz on the CPU-NB. I can get to 3480Mhz on 1.45V stable but when I try to push the speed higher my system sometimes does not post, or it takes 30 seconds to do so. When it does post it's not stable in the slightest. I've tried various multipliers and reference clocks but they all do the same thing once I reach that speed/voltage.

RAM and CPU are set to stable speeds. RAM is always between 1600-1950MHz, CPU never goes over 3.8GHz with 1.4V. CPU load temperature, read from TMPIN2, barely hits 40C. I only have 4 cores enabled to keep the temps down.
Going Blue
(22 items)
 
My Minecraft Box
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5690 EVGA 132-BL-E758 EVGA GTX 970 Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 120GB Seagate Sata II 1TB Seagate Sata II 500GB WD Sata II 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial MX200 500GB Corsair H80i XIGMATEK XAF-F1255 Lian Li EX-36A1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit Dell 2009W IBM Model M Seasonic SS-660XP2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Semi Custom Logitech g400 SteelSeries QcK HD598 
OtherOther
CyberPower PFC MNPA19-XTR 10gb 
  hide details  
Reply
Going Blue
(22 items)
 
My Minecraft Box
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5690 EVGA 132-BL-E758 EVGA GTX 970 Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 120GB Seagate Sata II 1TB Seagate Sata II 500GB WD Sata II 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial MX200 500GB Corsair H80i XIGMATEK XAF-F1255 Lian Li EX-36A1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit Dell 2009W IBM Model M Seasonic SS-660XP2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Semi Custom Logitech g400 SteelSeries QcK HD598 
OtherOther
CyberPower PFC MNPA19-XTR 10gb 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990XA/970A-Series Owners' Club & Help Thread - FX-8350 support added