Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] GTX 580 Overclocking Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] GTX 580 Overclocking Club - Page 247

post #2461 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Snake View Post

Also i wanna know if in the Lightning version it's ok to use 1.150v for gaming session, the card was made for that right? My temps don't go up to 70º and Vrm temp don't go higher than 55º, anyway i use a stock profile in afterburner to surf on the internet, etc, then i load my Oc profile for demanding games like BF3 or Crysis 2.

1.15v is safe even for reference cards with proper temps. As long as your temps are fine (which they are based on what I've quoted), given the beefy VRMs and PCB on the Lightning 1.15v is perfectly OK for 24/7.
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2462 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

You should be fine. GTX 580s are rated up to 98'C nominally, and the quality of the parts/PCB on the 580s is slightly superior to that of the 480 despite the 480 being rated almost 10'C higher. With a nominal top temp like that anything below 90% of the rated (e.g. 88-89'C) should be peachy.

Kudos
post #2463 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

Hi Uniwarking,
Great OC, especially if you were able to complete a 3DMark bench. Your voltage at 1.0880mV is my stock voltage for my card. So your voltage is very safe for that card.
I couldn't run my highest bench @ 950/1900/2075 OC until I hit 1.1250mV. Any higher and I couldn't get through a successful 3DMark11 bench.
If your @1000Mhz Core that's truly amazing for an EVGA GTX 580 SC and stable. Those clocks are usually only achieved under water. Are you under water or is that on air?
Each cards over clock can vary and if your playing games that are demanding and haven't black screened or locked up then you hit the VRAM lottery. Congrats.
Definitely run a bench and post the results if you can.
As for safe 24/7 personally I don't go over 15% over clock for 24/7. I run mine @ 890/1780/2075 at stock voltage 1.0880mV 24/7. I had a 13% over clock since January and then recently bumped another 2% for the last month no problems.
If your under water then that OC would be fine. You need to watch your highest temps at full throttle. What is it? Personally I'd hit the concern button at 90C. Though the cards can take 95C-98C without any problems, I would start to back off any OC that brings my cards any higher than 90C especially 24/7.
At full throttle my highest temp is 74C. I idle at 40C.

So, something was off... here are my new settings (Now running MSI afterburner):

1.100v
990/1960/2025
post #2464 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

Hi Uniwarking,
Great OC, especially if you were able to complete a 3DMark bench. Your voltage at 1.0880mV is my stock voltage for my card. So your voltage is very safe for that card.
I couldn't run my highest bench @ 950/1900/2075 OC until I hit 1.1250mV. Any higher and I couldn't get through a successful 3DMark11 bench.
If your @1000Mhz Core that's truly amazing for an EVGA GTX 580 SC and stable. Those clocks are usually only achieved under water. Are you under water or is that on air?
Each cards over clock can vary and if your playing games that are demanding and haven't black screened or locked up then you hit the VRAM lottery. Congrats.
Definitely run a bench and post the results if you can.
As for safe 24/7 personally I don't go over 15% over clock for 24/7. I run mine @ 890/1780/2075 at stock voltage 1.0880mV 24/7. I had a 13% over clock since January and then recently bumped another 2% for the last month no problems.
If your under water then that OC would be fine. You need to watch your highest temps at full throttle. What is it? Personally I'd hit the concern button at 90C. Though the cards can take 95C-98C without any problems, I would start to back off any OC that brings my cards any higher than 90C especially 24/7.
At full throttle my highest temp is 74C. I idle at 40C.

So, something was off... here are my new settings (Now running MSI afterburner):

1.100v
990/1960/2025

Thats cool you still have plenty of voltage headroom. If you have crysis run like 50 or 100 loops of crysis bench maxed.
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2465 of 3582
Hmm, ran into some issues.... not quite the "beast" of a card I'd hoped!

New settings...

950/1900/2025 @ 1.113v

P7824 3DMark11 - Max temp 74c at 70% fan.

Think I could push it a bit further but I think I'll test this a little longer before moving forward!

I see a few posts up someone indicated 1.15v was safe. If so, I think I could obtain 1000/2000/2025. I'd just want to look at temps closely.

Thoughts?
Edited by uniwarking - 12/11/11 at 1:50pm
post #2466 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post

Hmm, ran into some issues.... not quite the "beast" of a card I'd hoped!

New settings...

950/1900/2025 @ 1.113v

P7824 3DMark11 - Max temp 74c at 70% fan.

Think I could push it a bit further but I think I'll test this a little longer before moving forward!

I see a few posts up someone indicated 1.15v was safe. If so, I think I could obtain 1000/2000/2025. I'd just want to look at temps closely.

Thoughts?

Lol that looks a bit more realistic. The better cards can get close to 1000. But I have seen very few reference cards hit it.
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2467 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post

Hmm, ran into some issues.... not quite the "beast" of a card I'd hoped!

New settings...

950/1900/2025 @ 1.113v

P7824 3DMark11 - Max temp 74c at 70% fan.

Think I could push it a bit further but I think I'll test this a little longer before moving forward!

I see a few posts up someone indicated 1.15v was safe. If so, I think I could obtain 1000/2000/2025. I'd just want to look at temps closely.

Thoughts?

Lol that looks a bit more realistic. The better cards can get close to 1000. But I have seen very few reference cards hit it.

I felt lucky to hit the 950Mhz Core reference on air personally. I had to bump voltage to 1.1250mV which is the highest I'd recommend for anyone and not any 0.0001mV higher.

My bench with my i7 950Mhz CPU OC to 3.80Ghz hit 7041 combined score. I wasn't satisfied with combined score but I did like my raw graphic score which hit 7361 on the 3DMark11 bench.

As for 24/7 OC the GTX 580 dosen't really need any OC but my comfort zone is 15%. I could have a profile for gaming only and go up to a 20% bump but I don't need to as gaming at current specs are no issues from Crysis 2 to BF3. biggrin.gif

On a side note: I think your right Lightsout on the previous post a few back, about the i5 2500K being a better graphics GPU over my i7 950 CPU. Weird thing is I started a thread in the Intel section of CPU's and all the responses I got was to keep my i7 950 and let the kids get the second build with i5 2500K.

Now I'm going to rethink the entire project. May just spring for the i7 2600 CPU with hyper threading to satisfy myself and let them have the i7 950 instead.

Got to take my chance to upgrade while the opportunity is there. Next build won't be for 3-4 more years despite the new gen CPU's coming out. The second build needs to be complete by very early January for personal reasons I can't wait any longer. Need my kids off my computer time. Speaking of which I got my kid behind me waiting to jump online and game right now. tongue.gif
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #2468 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post

Hmm, ran into some issues.... not quite the "beast" of a card I'd hoped!

New settings...

950/1900/2025 @ 1.113v

P7824 3DMark11 - Max temp 74c at 70% fan.

Think I could push it a bit further but I think I'll test this a little longer before moving forward!

I see a few posts up someone indicated 1.15v was safe. If so, I think I could obtain 1000/2000/2025. I'd just want to look at temps closely.

Thoughts?

Lol that looks a bit more realistic. The better cards can get close to 1000. But I have seen very few reference cards hit it.

I felt lucky to hit the 950Mhz Core reference on air personally. I had to bump voltage to 1.1250mV which is the highest I'd recommend for anyone and not any 0.0001mV higher.

My bench with my i7 950Mhz CPU OC to 3.80Ghz hit 7041 combined score. I wasn't satisfied with combined score but I did like my raw graphic score which hit 7361 on the 3DMark11 bench.

As for 24/7 OC the GTX 580 dosen't really need any OC but my comfort zone is 15%. I could have a profile for gaming only and go up to a 20% bump but I don't need to as gaming at current specs are no issues from Crysis 2 to BF3. biggrin.gif

On a side note: I think your right Lightsout on the previous post a few back, about the i5 2500K being a better graphics GPU over my i7 950 CPU. Weird thing is I started a thread in the Intel section of CPU's and all the responses I got was to keep my i7 950 and let the kids get the second build with i5 2500K.

Now I'm going to rethink the entire project. May just spring for the i7 2600 CPU with hyper threading to satisfy myself and let them have the i7 950 instead.

Got to take my chance to upgrade while the opportunity is there. Next build won't be for 3-4 more years despite the new gen CPU's coming out. The second build needs to be complete by very early January for personal reasons I can't wait any longer. Need my kids off my computer time. Speaking of which I got my kid behind me waiting to jump online and game right now. tongue.gif

Ha thats funny, kids like come on Dad I want to play some games. I'd be like "go use that P4 with the fx5200 I gave you" biggrin.gif

1.125v may be your safe area. But imo if the temps are ok you should be fine going all the way to 1.15v. Evga is pretty conservative with their voltages. And I think you will be safe going to the max voltage they allow.

I totally understand though these cards are a huge investment and its your $ to choose what you do with it. My gaming clock is 950/1.138v. Going up to 1.5v doesn't give me any more clock speed. But honestly sometimes I forget to set the profile before firing up BF3 and I can't say I notice a difference in performance.
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
550D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SSC 4 x 4GB Samsung Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial 240gb Samsung EVO 250gb Corsair H80 Win7 Ultimate 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix 2560x1440p Quickfire TK MX Brown XFX 750w Black Edition Corsair 550D 
MouseMouse Pad
Lefty Deathadder X Trac Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2469 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

But imo if the temps are ok you should be fine going all the way to 1.15v. Evga is pretty conservative with their voltages. And I think you will be safe going to the max voltage they allow.

As you and others pointed out, 1.15v is the max allowable on reference cards without BIOS modifications. Whether you want to exceed psychological "safety zones" like 1.10v is a matter of preference, but generally speaking temperatures are more of the issue than voltage. I personally wouldn't exceed 1.15v without water, though I'm aware of a couple of people with aftermarket cards like the Asus ROG Matrix and MSI Lightnings that are pushing 1.23v.

If your temps are under 90'C, you should be fine with 1.15v for 24/7 use.
Edited by friend'scatdied - 12/11/11 at 3:21pm
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2470 of 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

As you and others pointed out, 1.15v is the max allowable on reference cards without BIOS modifications. Whether you want to exceed psychological "safety zones" like 1.10v is a matter of preference, but generally speaking temperatures are more of the issue than voltage. I personally wouldn't exceed 1.15v without water, though I'm aware of a couple of people with aftermarket cards like the Asus ROG Matrix and MSI Lightnings that are pushing 1.23v.
If your temps are under 90'C, you should be fine with 1.15v for 24/7 use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

Ha thats funny, kids like come on Dad I want to play some games. I'd be like "go use that P4 with the fx5200 I gave you" biggrin.gif
1.125v may be your safe area. But imo if the temps are ok you should be fine going all the way to 1.15v. Evga is pretty conservative with their voltages. And I think you will be safe going to the max voltage they allow.
I totally understand though these cards are a huge investment and its your $ to choose what you do with it. My gaming clock is 950/1.138v. Going up to 1.5v doesn't give me any more clock speed. But honestly sometimes I forget to set the profile before firing up BF3 and I can't say I notice a difference in performance.

Well, it seems we have similar cards. I was having some crashing issues in BF3 for whatever reason... assume low GPU voltage. I never got an error or anything, game just minimized and I had to shut it down. I was fine in 3dMark11 and OC Scanner.

I'm currently at:
960 @ 1.138v
Max temp I've seen is roughly 75C

I really don't think the extra voltage beyond this point would be worth it... who knows.

Thank you all for your comments. I would ask to join the club but in reading it seems the OP is gone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] GTX 580 Overclocking Club