Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Ducky Shining Info?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ducky Shining Info? - Page 108

post #1071 of 1497
You made a good choice! I have a bunch of Filco and Ducky keyboards, including the Ducky Shine so here are my opinions:

1. The Filco is much better in terms of quality. The case is built much better and overall the Ducky Shine keyboard feels cheaper in comparison. The feet on the Ducky also feel cheap and don't raise the keyboard as high as I would like. I do not like how the bottom of keycaps are visible on Ducky keyboards. Some of my keycaps from group buys have molding marks on the bottom of the keys which are hidden on my Filco but look awkward on my Ducky. This might not be an issue, since many people will probably keep the standard keys that come with the Shine.

My tenkeyless majestouch 2 feels much heavier than the Ducky Shine, but this is because Ducky chooses to use aluminum back plating. Keycaps should not fall off on either the Ducky or Filco, I've only had this problem with SteelSeries keyboards myself.

2. The back feet on the Shine do not have rubber pads, I had to take some off of another Ducky to stop the keyboard from sliding around.

3. Yes there are talks of a white LED version coming in the future exclusively from this site, but problems with the LEDs have delayed this.

For a first time keyboard you will love the Shine and only notice it's flaws while owning a better keyboard such as a Leopold or Filco. The quailty of the Shine is much better than the other Ducky keyboards I've owned. If you are strictly looking at Filco vs. the Ducky Shine, go with the Filco you wont regret it!
Edited by Huff - 12/3/11 at 3:15pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #1072 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenElmo View Post

I just ordered 2 filcos (one blue one brown) just to try them both out and see which switches I preferred. Anyhow I was going to return these and pick up a ducky shine since they are around the same price but have more features. So my questions are as follows
1) How is the ducky shine in comparison to the filco majestouch in terms of quality? (ie is it as heavy / strong / keycaps don't fall off)
2) Do the back feet of the ducky have rubber pads on them like the flico, or are they just plastic feet (I can't stand plastic feet as they slide around too much)
3) I was reading that they are going to be releasing a white LED backlit version of the ducky, is this true? If so when is the ETA of their availability?
Thanks to all in advance!

That's nice, could you compare your typing experience with both? Also, do you type much/fast?
post #1073 of 1497
Tator,

Will there ever be a way to test the keys? My next will be red or black but I have never tried either, and for 150 bucks, would be nice to know what i'm getting into. Unfortunately can't find any red/blacks at any computer hardware stores in my area
First build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 ASUS P7P55D-E PRO Galaxy GTX 580 1.5GB Accelero Xtreme Plus Cooler G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB F3 12800CL8D-8GBXM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex2 Extended 120, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LITEON 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung XL2370 LED Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 Brown Keys, IBM Model M XFX 750W Black Edition HAF 932 Black Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3G, R.A.T 9, G400 Artisan Hayate, QCK Heavy, Artisen Hien Audio Technica AD700, Klipsch Image x10 
  hide details  
Reply
First build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 ASUS P7P55D-E PRO Galaxy GTX 580 1.5GB Accelero Xtreme Plus Cooler G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB F3 12800CL8D-8GBXM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex2 Extended 120, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LITEON 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung XL2370 LED Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 Brown Keys, IBM Model M XFX 750W Black Edition HAF 932 Black Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3G, R.A.T 9, G400 Artisan Hayate, QCK Heavy, Artisen Hien Audio Technica AD700, Klipsch Image x10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1074 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpony View Post

Tator,
Will there ever be a way to test the keys? My next will be red or black but I have never tried either, and for 150 bucks, would be nice to know what i'm getting into. Unfortunately can't find any red/blacks at any computer hardware stores in my area

Unfortunately no. If you have extra money, you can order Das Keyboard and ship it back, but for example to where I live, it would cost me half the ducky price to ship it back and forth...
post #1075 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpony View Post

Tator,
Will there ever be a way to test the keys? My next will be red or black but I have never tried either, and for 150 bucks, would be nice to know what i'm getting into. Unfortunately can't find any red/blacks at any computer hardware stores in my area

You might want to try this:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23914-Cherry-Switch-Tester-Holiday-Tour-2011!
haticK
(18 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ADATA Premier SP610 Western Digital VelociRaptor LG 14X Blu-ray Rewriter Asetek 590LX 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW Ducky DK9008S 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Corsair Sabre RGB Laser SteelSeries 9HD 
AudioAudio
Creative SoundBlaster Z Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
haticK
(18 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ADATA Premier SP610 Western Digital VelociRaptor LG 14X Blu-ray Rewriter Asetek 590LX 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW Ducky DK9008S 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Corsair Sabre RGB Laser SteelSeries 9HD 
AudioAudio
Creative SoundBlaster Z Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1076 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpony View Post

Tator,
Will there ever be a way to test the keys? My next will be red or black but I have never tried either, and for 150 bucks, would be nice to know what i'm getting into. Unfortunately can't find any red/blacks at any computer hardware stores in my area

pick reds without question. In my opinion blacks are horrible and I would rather use rubber domes than black switches. Blacks are just too hard to type on and some times gets hard to game on as well. Reds will make you much happier more than likely due to the low force required to actuate the switch. When i had my black switch board I tried super hard to make myself like it but it was impossible. I kept unplugging the board and just using my dome board because it did not put as much strain on me while using it. You will not only get fatigue in your fingers but after periods of time it starts to affect the muscles in your wrists which is not super pleasant.
Game Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 5Ghz  ASUS P8Z68-v Gen 3 GTX 1070 X 16GB Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Crucial M4 128GB Asus DVD drive H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 professional Samsung 27" LCD 1080p Ducky Shine (MX brown) AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Logitech mx518 Steelseries QCK+ ASUS Xonar DX 
Audio
BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Game Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 5Ghz  ASUS P8Z68-v Gen 3 GTX 1070 X 16GB Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Crucial M4 128GB Asus DVD drive H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 professional Samsung 27" LCD 1080p Ducky Shine (MX brown) AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Logitech mx518 Steelseries QCK+ ASUS Xonar DX 
Audio
BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1077 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

pick reds without question. In my opinion blacks are horrible and I would rather use rubber domes than black switches. Blacks are just too hard to type on and some times gets hard to game on as well. Reds will make you much happier more than likely due to the low force required to actuate the switch. When i had my black switch board I tried super hard to make myself like it but it was impossible. I kept unplugging the board and just using my dome board because it did not put as much strain on me while using it. You will not only get fatigue in your fingers but after periods of time it starts to affect the muscles in your wrists which is not super pleasant.
Judging by everything I've read in the keyboard section, Red vs Black is very subjective, which is why I want to test it for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxonLocus View Post

Unfortunately no. If you have extra money, you can order Das Keyboard and ship it back, but for example to where I live, it would cost me half the ducky price to ship it back and forth...

I ask because Tator mentioned something about this like 40 pages ago.
First build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 ASUS P7P55D-E PRO Galaxy GTX 580 1.5GB Accelero Xtreme Plus Cooler G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB F3 12800CL8D-8GBXM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex2 Extended 120, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LITEON 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung XL2370 LED Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 Brown Keys, IBM Model M XFX 750W Black Edition HAF 932 Black Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3G, R.A.T 9, G400 Artisan Hayate, QCK Heavy, Artisen Hien Audio Technica AD700, Klipsch Image x10 
  hide details  
Reply
First build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 ASUS P7P55D-E PRO Galaxy GTX 580 1.5GB Accelero Xtreme Plus Cooler G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB F3 12800CL8D-8GBXM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex2 Extended 120, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LITEON 24x Internal DVD/CD Writer Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung XL2370 LED Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 Brown Keys, IBM Model M XFX 750W Black Edition HAF 932 Black Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3G, R.A.T 9, G400 Artisan Hayate, QCK Heavy, Artisen Hien Audio Technica AD700, Klipsch Image x10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1078 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpony View Post

Judging by everything I've read in the keyboard section, Red vs Black is very subjective, which is why I want to test it for myself.
I ask because Tator mentioned something about this like 40 pages ago.

You have to remember some peoples view on blacks might be skewed due to the fact they might have ordered a black switch board that they cannot return and so they try to make themselves believe that the switch is ok. When I had my black board I probably would have been the same way but I could easily return it to amazon within 30 days so i was not faced with being stuck with a board I didnt like and I did not have to fool myself into liking it. Not saying that some people dont genuinely like the blacks, but I think 99% of people think they are way to stiff. The blacks also get MUCH stiffer as you push down which leads to a very strong spongy type of feel and causes alot of stress on your fingers. I believe that domes feel WAY WAY WAY better than blacks but the other mechanical switches are better than domes.
Game Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 5Ghz  ASUS P8Z68-v Gen 3 GTX 1070 X 16GB Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Crucial M4 128GB Asus DVD drive H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 professional Samsung 27" LCD 1080p Ducky Shine (MX brown) AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Logitech mx518 Steelseries QCK+ ASUS Xonar DX 
Audio
BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Game Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 5Ghz  ASUS P8Z68-v Gen 3 GTX 1070 X 16GB Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Crucial M4 128GB Asus DVD drive H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 professional Samsung 27" LCD 1080p Ducky Shine (MX brown) AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Logitech mx518 Steelseries QCK+ ASUS Xonar DX 
Audio
BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1079 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post

You made a good choice! I have a bunch of Filco and Ducky keyboards, including the Ducky Shine so here are my opinions:
1. The Filco is much better in terms of quality. The case is built much better and overall the Ducky Shine keyboard feels cheaper in comparison. The feet on the Ducky also feel cheap and don't raise the keyboard as high as I would like. I do not like how the bottom of keycaps are visible on Ducky keyboards. Some of my keycaps from group buys have molding marks on the bottom of the keys which are hidden on my Filco but look awkward on my Ducky. This might not be an issue, since many people will probably keep the standard keys that come with the Shine.
My tenkeyless majestouch 2 feels much heavier than the Ducky Shine, but this is because Ducky chooses to use aluminum back plating. Keycaps should not fall off on either the Ducky or Filco, I've only had this problem with SteelSeries keyboards myself.
2. The back feet on the Shine do not have rubber pads, I had to take some off of another Ducky to stop the keyboard from sliding around.
3. Yes there are talks of a white LED version coming in the future exclusively from this site, but problems with the LEDs have delayed this.
For a first time keyboard you will love the Shine and only notice it's flaws while owning a better keyboard such as a Leopold or Filco. The quailty of the Shine is much better than the other Ducky keyboards I've owned. If you are strictly looking at Filco vs. the Ducky Shine, go with the Filco you wont regret it!

Thanks for your input I appreciate your attention to detail. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to the little things like that. I think you've helped me make up my decision. I would like to have the little features that the ducky shine has (like backlit keyboard and the media keys) however I'm not going to sacrifice quality for those...I like how the filcos are built like tanks. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxonLocus View Post

That's nice, could you compare your typing experience with both? Also, do you type much/fast?

Well I have 2 filcos (one brown and one blue) I love typing on them, the only things that catches my eye for the ducky shine is that it's backlit which comes in useful and the media keys. That's really my only conundrum. I wish ficlo made a keyboard with both these features, that'd make my decision so much easier lol.
post #1080 of 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenElmo View Post

Thanks for your input I appreciate your attention to detail. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to the little things like that. I think you've helped me make up my decision. I would like to have the little features that the ducky shine has (like backlit keyboard and the media keys) however I'm not going to sacrifice quality for those...I like how the filcos are built like tanks. smile.gif
Well I have 2 filcos (one brown and one blue) I love typing on them, the only things that catches my eye for the ducky shine is that it's backlit which comes in useful and the media keys. That's really my only conundrum. I wish ficlo made a keyboard with both these features, that'd make my decision so much easier lol.

Hm, could you compare how the typing/gaming is different on browns/blues for you, personally?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Ducky Shining Info?